Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:03 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Be sure they check out your parathyroid glands and blood calcium levels.

I had your symptoms and they only found the benign parathyroid tumor during exploratory surgery, as it did not show up on the ultrasound or by palpating the area.

Excision was routine and no further problems.
Thanks! I did bring up parathyroid glands and the Endo. basically blew that off (I thought that might be an issue from reading up although I know there is TOO much info. out there).

I do have good calcium levels - blood draws done since I've been diagnosed w/osteo. - and they've all been good.

Haven't heard back yet and was working this week but I'm off tomorrow so I'll call and see if they've gotten the results at the office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 02:50 PM

I called the Dr.'s office today as I still hadn't heard, the gal that answered the phone said they generally don't call if tests don't show anything but she'd connect me w/the nurse practitioner. She went over the results w/me and good news is one nodule is actually gone from thyroid and the other is smaller than previously, no reflex or problems showed on the swallow and chest x-ray was clear. Bad news (but maybe not terribly bad?) and she agreed: is something is causing this - she suggested I see an ENT which I'll do next.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:22 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,871,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Lately, like last several months, I've had an "uncomfortable"' feeling at base of my throat, to the point where clothing, sheet at night in bed, etc. touching it is uncomfortable. Feels like there is a "lump" in the base of my throat.
I was poking around the internet looking for the cause of a nagging neck ache and found this and remembered your post. May be worth looking into.

The Sternocleidomastoid Syndrome

from the article
"The pain referral pattern of the SCM includes pain over the cheekbone, in the forehead, on top of the head, in and behind the ear, over the chin, over the SC joint, over the forehead, and deep in the throat. The throat referral is a commonly overlooked cause of sore throat, often mistaken for pharyngitis. The patient will often feel a fullness in the throat, especially upon swallowing, which feels like a partial obstruction."

Old 04-05-2011, 10:05 AM

Thanks so much for that info. - I also have fibromyalgia so the myofascial pain connection makes sense. I printed that out to take to the ENT when I make an appt.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:41 PM

You're welcome. Hope it helps.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:57 PM

I really do appreciate it - I've been having such upper back and neck pain issues (plus I have terrible posture) - wouldn't have thought to relate it though.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:07 PM

I'm just back to post again thanks for this: I've done more research on it, other than just that link and it's amazing how many things I have (eyes tearing while in bed for instance) - I've been doing some of the stretches and I think they are helping (still have sleep problems but that's a whole 'nother issue) - I think I might be in that small percentage that have throat issues from this SCM.

Now I'm wondering if I should make an appt. w/ENT just to check? I've never been to a Chiro. but from my one experience w/one (interview for Office Mgr.) that guy was a lunatic (and I was offered the job but declined). I also have a script from the Rheum. for physical therapy because I was having such neck/shoulder pain issues but I didn't go (co-pay is $40 per session and from prior sciatica experience, it's generally 3 visits per week)

Wish I could rep. you again - I'm mostly hoping that if someone else has such issues they'll research this and to give you a thanks again. Amazing what things in the body we don't even know exist could cause such issues. Also want to thank everyone who wished me well for the testing.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:08 AM

If it were me, I'd consider seeing an orthopedic doctor over a chiropractor.

Also, you could always ask your family doc for his recommendation.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:29 PM

Did you get your answer?

Old 05-13-2011, 03:32 PM

Thanks for asking - No, I've been "sucking it up" still.... I'm one of those that is "dying" before I go to a Dr., LOL. It is on my list though to make an appt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness