Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 11:30 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,501,659 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any experience with these? I started getting them around 2014, but literally maybe once a year....seems to hit me worse in the winter...

This past few months, I've had two...I read online stress can be a trigger...they are scary and even though I know they will pass, they always happen at the worst times (today at work, once on my commute etc)...

any recommendations for preventing them? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 07:15 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,286,668 times
I get them once in a while, a think mostly triggered by stress and fatigue. Mine rarely last more than 30 minutes and never include pain. I was told (by my GYN) that you should not be on hormonal BC if you get them (I am not, but was when I was told this).

Old 01-18-2018, 07:29 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
I don't know. I've gotten them about 3 times a day for the last week or so. Irritating. I can see to do normal tasks, but can't drive because I have blind spots for about a half hour.

I'd sure like to know what's causing them. I suspect stress or high blood pressure - dietary causes have been ruled out.

Thank God they don't come with the migraine headaches I had in my youth.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:22 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
My sister has them all the time. She can't drive anymore or leave the house during daylight hours.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:24 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,525,082 times
I had them after cataract surgery, but only a few times, without pain. Still very scary. Based on the above post, it's useless to ask an eye dr, but something has to cause them and it would be nice if they found out; ditto regular migraines, which they seem to have no clue about.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My sister has them all the time. She can't drive anymore or leave the house during daylight hours.
What?? why not? she doesn't take anything to treat and/or prevent them??

Old 01-19-2018, 09:11 AM

1,548 posts, read 1,195,758 times
I've only experienced one, years ago. It was during a computer training and suddenly I couldn't see the middle of the computer screen, but had no pain. It really was pretty terrifying not knowing what was happening. Doc later told me it was an ocular migraine, and some people have them, others don't. They don't know why and there's no prevention. What I'm scared of is getting another one when I'm going 70 mph on the freeway.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I've only experienced one, years ago. It was during a computer training and suddenly I couldn't see the middle of the computer screen, but had no pain. It really was pretty terrifying not knowing what was happening. Doc later told me it was an ocular migraine, and some people have them, others don't. They don't know why and there's no prevention. What I'm scared of is getting another one when I'm going 70 mph on the freeway.
that's my fear, as well. I read a few people say they just had to pull over and wait for them to pass...it's scary when it happens even if you know what it is...i have anxiety too, so it doesn't help.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:50 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
It's about finding your trigger. I've found mine to be excessive MSG in foods. I would have occular migraines once in a while but almost immediately after eating at a specific restaurant on more than 1 occasion and getting them, I finally put 2 & 2 together. That's why neurologists have you start a diary of what you're doing before each one.

If it's happening mostly during winter, think of everything that's different. People tend to drink less fluids, etc.

I still get them on the rare occasion and I find that staying away from the computer screen and resting my eyes helps alleviate the visual aura and the migraine doesn't come. Also taking Zomig right away makes it a non-issue as it suppresses the pain if the migraine does hit.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:03 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
I have a family member who gets migraines, sometimes with aura, sometimes without. We've figured out that stress, sleep disruptions (change in sleep schedule or too little sleep) are triggers. Hormones fluctuations seem to be a trigger. Certain foods are triggers but it seems like they only trigger a migraine if one other factor (stress or sleep disturbances, hormonal changes) is already present. Intense exercise can also trigger them but again, it only seems to happen if one of the underlying triggers such as stress is already present. The food triggers tend to be foods high in tyramines such as aged cheese, soy sauce, etc. Its frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness