Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2011, 11:13 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsIzzy View Post
Yes, I am taking one of those steps at the end of October (radical hyterectomy), but the twins I am not too sure about.

I get regular mammograms, and I even had a breast MRI done. So far, so good. The genetic testing part is expensive...not sure how to handle even knowing whether I carry the gene or not. It's something I continue pondering (testing), but I'm not making myself sick over it.

Eating right, and exercising. Never been a smoker or drinker.

I am quite boring I guess But I do live to travel. That's my vice.
If you love to travel, I doubt you are boring!

It sounds as if you are proceeding on the assumption that the genetic test is probably positive. Keep a close eye on the twins!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 11:03 AM

158 posts, read 332,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you love to travel, I doubt you are boring!

It sounds as if you are proceeding on the assumption that the genetic test is probably positive. Keep a close eye on the twins!

I know it could be negative also. I heard too that even if it turned out positive, this still does not mean I will get breast cancer...

The cost is prohibitive at the moment. My insurance will NOT cover genetic testing!

Old 10-02-2011, 11:41 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,587,532 times
Both of my grandfathers died in their early 50s before I was born (1954) but they were both terminal alcoholics and my maternal GF had diabetes). However both my grandmothers both lived to well into their 80s ( in fact my paternal GM was just under 6 months shy of her 90th birthday). Even today both my parents are still here and they are north of the age of 80. Also eight of my nine siblings are still alive and well and the 9th was a baby when he died. Only 2 out of my 31 maternal first cousins have passed on ( one was an unborn child at 3 or 4 months gestation and the other died of colon cancer in her 40s and it ran in the family on her father's side - our mothers are sisters) and my dad is the only child -no paternal first cousins there . My mom had 13 siblings - 3 died in infancy , 1 died in an accident at age 10 (they did not have the medicine or trauma care back then -it was during the 1930s) and except for my youngest aunt all survived past the age of 70. Sadly she died of a cerebral brain hemorrhage in 1973 and she was carrying the unborn baby cousin that was lost. So in essence no one in my immediate or extended family( excluding in laws not related by blood ) died in their 50s except my both of my grandfathers and in their cases it was a matter of choices they took. God willing I hope it stays that way.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,430 times
I lost 2 close friends from CAD, both 52 years old. They had something else in common. Neither had seen a doctor in over 20 years. Sometimes, 50 is the new stupid.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:02 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,686,338 times
I've known very few people to die at such a young age. Most I know live well into their 70s or 80s.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:20 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,104,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
I always heard that if you lived to 75, you could probably live a lot longer until all of your organs just wear out. By that time you will outlived cancer, Atheriosclosis, and any other regular illnesses.
Not true, in my mother's case. She had the onset of atherosclerosis of the brain at about 80, gadually got more and more dementia, had a stroke and died at 91. I don't think her's was an unusual story.

I have, however noticed that spike of cancer diagnoses in the 50s. I think it takes that long for the toxins in our environment and/or the genetics of cancer to catch up with people.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:04 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Most of the people I've read about who've died in their 50's around here, were either in fatal accidents, or were ravaged by drug and alcohol abuse, or were the unfortunate victims of their own neglect of diet and exercise. Yes, there were others who died of cancer and other more common illnesses, but for the most part, it was accidents of self-neglect/abuse.

I only know, personally, a handful of people who died before they reached 60 years of age. I've had 53 years to know people in my life - so a handful of people, in a 53-year timeframe, isn't exactly newsworthy.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:59 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Elanor Mondale and Kara Kennedy both just died at age 51. While I was in my 50s, eight coworkers died, most of heart attacks, and all were in their early to late 50s. I decided that the best guarantee of a long life was to survive your 50s so my 60th birthday was cause for celebration and relief. So far, so good!

Anyone else ever notice this trend which most of us, thus far, have been able to avoid or live beyond. I have my theory as to why the 50s are so "dangerous," other than it being a corporate plot to avoid pension payments. What are yours, if any?
I just turned 41, so maybe I should try extra hard to enjoy myself and fulfill my bucket list over the next 9 years!

Humans are designed to live to an old age, and the average lifespan of humans is probably the least amount of time a person should live. Of course, that average life expectancy includes people dying at all ages from all causes: diseases, accidents, suicides, old age, etc, so the life expectancy really doesn't tell you how long you could live or how long your body is designed to last. Many people abuse themselves in their younger years and then start breaking down in middle age. Some are just genetically unlucky or lucky.

But I do seem to read a lot of news stories about people ( mostly men) who die of heart attacks in their 50s. Granted, those stories involve high-profile or semi-high-profile people, so naturally their deaths make headlines. Guys like James Gandolfini, Jim Fixx; the 51 yr. old guy from that reality tv fishing show that just died; and many others.

Personally, I had one uncle ( unrelated) who was a physical specimen. He was 6-foot tall, 175-pounds; was very active ( runner, cyclist); had no obvious health problems. He died in his sleep one night at age 49. He had severe heart disease. He did have a big appetite, and was one of those naturally lean guys who could eat like a horse and not gain weight. He obviously didn't eat healthy, but he looked healthy.

My maternal uncle died of a heart attack at age 52 while riding his bike; he just plopped over. This uncle was overweight, had smoked for at least half of his life, and really didn't follow a healthy diet. He was moderately active with all his bike riding though.

Both of those deaths shook me to my core. I was only about 20-21 years old when they died, and their deaths went a long way towards pushing me to lead an active, healthy lifestyle. I've always been spooked by death, and dying suddenly from a heart attack has always scared me, even though it 's probably one of the most humane ways to go. It's that whole 'gotcha' factor that's creepy; it can happen anywhere, anytime in the blink of an eye. It's unsettling!

Old 08-21-2015, 01:19 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,331 times
Most people probably know many more people in their 50s who don't die than those who do.

And personal experiences are not always an accurate representation of the world or of the people in it.

Like moving to a new city and the first 20 locals that you meet are rude and abrasive. From that a person labels City X as being populated by rude, abrasive people; failing to realize that that city has 50,000 people, and the first 20 you met is likely not an accurate representation of the entire city. And it may not even accurately reflect those first 20 people; maybe they were having bad days.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:01 PM

722 posts, read 1,329,323 times
If someone in your family has died in their 40's - 50's your chances of living over 50 really go down in my opinion, sometimes it just runs in the family.

a person's body weight and height also play a large part in life expectancy, it's very common for big & tall people to die in their 50's, there are a few big & tall people that make it past 65, but most never make it, unless they are lucky.

I knew a WW2 decorated vet that lived to age 98 , he was a life long smoker and outdoorsman, I think genetics was the main reason he live so long? he wasnt very tall, maybe around 5 ft 7' or shorter and of asian heritage.

if your in your 50's if you were to check your high school graduation class, Im sure there are several that have died by now, either by accident or health problems.

something I noticed about people that have died early, is most had some type of health problem when they were young? got ill often, had allergies, had asthma, or something , allergic to certain types of foods, etc. those people seemed to all die earlier than average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness