Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 05:49 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

I am duly frightened. I am 51, and the deaths of Eleanor Mondale and Kara Kennedy have really caught my attention.

Your theory is interesting Curmogeon. I agree with you that there is no job loyalty. My husband lost his business and is underemployed. We have both found age discrimination to be rampant and difficult to prove. I agree with all that you have written, and I have my own theories, involving critical ages. I also think that staying involved and connected with others, contributes to longevity.

I am thinking of returning to school for my Masters, in a field where I will not be at the proclivities of industry. I also think that keeping one's mind, as well as one's body engaged, is important. It's way more than just "going to the gym" - although keeping fit is obviously important.

Does anyone else know about the "Critical Age" concept, or have any other theories? My children are still in their teens, and I want to be here for a long long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 07:14 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
I'm 50 and doing pretty well. My "internal" systems (organs, nerves, muscles) are in good shape. My bones aren't so great but most of it is the result of time after multiple serious injuries a few decades ago. Considering that I -should- be in a wheelchair by now, I'd say I'm doing great. And getting better, since I'm back at the gym and attempting to eat more appropriately.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:17 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am duly frightened. I am 51, and the deaths of Eleanor Mondale and Kara Kennedy have really caught my attention.
Why would you be frightened?

Eleanor Mondale had brain cancer when she was 45 and Kara Kennedy had lung cancer at the age of 42. Neither of these are age related.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:38 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
I know only a few people who died in their 50s and they had the same characteristics: obese, overworked, racist, caucasian, conservative, single or divorced, stressed to the hilt, drank too much, unfulfilled, boring, no kids or estranged from their kids, problems with the opposite sex, socially isolated, and either type-A or insecure personalities.

I don't buy into the suggestion that the 50s is a particularly risky time in a person's life. Quite the contrary in fact.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:13 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile Agree with you on this!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
All we can do is the best we can to minimize risks, but I tell you after seeing how some people live in an advanced stage of age, I think I'd just as soon not live to be that old.
Totally agree. I was at an event recently - alone - and since I have vision problems, usually I have someone with me. However, I went alone and I felt so alone, so inept and just like someone bumbling along. I thought - I'm only in my 50's - what's going to happen when I'm in my 90's? The thought made me incredibly scared.

At this event - I enjoyed it but for the first time felt my time had passed.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:49 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Default Who Have You Outlived?

There is an interesting website:

Dead or Alive?

You can type in a famous person's name - like Mickey Rooney, or instance - and they tell you if he is dead and when he died and the cause of death; or if he is still alive. (I chose Mickey Rooney because he is very much alive and in just 2 days he will be celebrating his 91st birthday).

There is also a "button" you can click on to find out who you have "outlived" ... meaning according to your age. I am 57 and I have now already outlived Patrick Swayze, James Coco, Humphrey Bogart, and Betty Grable.

It's cool ... check it out!

Old 09-21-2011, 07:28 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Genetics pay a huge role in your longevity. Many people simply drop dead from a heart attack because their genes dictated that's how it would be.

I'm an RN in an ED and I see lots of people on a daily basis. I see the marathoner who drops dead at 50 and the long time smoker who didn't look after themselves live to be 70.
Yes, of course genetics play a huge role in our longevity, but so does lifestyle. The epidemiological studies tell us so, and the studies have "seen" (i.e., recorded) many more cases than you or any person working in clinical medicine will ever see in a lifetime.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:01 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,639 times
Meme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Get it?

Old 09-27-2011, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,864 times
I'm turning 52 this October. Stopped smoking cigarettes but use electronic cigarette instead. Not sure if they are any better for you but I sure do feel like I can breathe again. FDA won't endorse them because they haunt had sufficient time to test them. I googles list of ingredients for both, e-cigs have 4 ingredients compared to over 4000 for traditional cigarettes

Old 09-27-2011, 08:45 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I know only a few people who died in their 50s and they had the same characteristics: obese, overworked, racist, caucasian, conservative, single or divorced, stressed to the hilt, drank too much, unfulfilled, boring, no kids or estranged from their kids, problems with the opposite sex, socially isolated, and either type-A or insecure personalities.

I don't buy into the suggestion that the 50s is a particularly risky time in a person's life. Quite the contrary in fact.
My late wife died suddenly at age 51, and the only characteristic she shared with your list was that she was Caucasian, assuming you meant light skin by that. (She was of Spanish and Swedish descent.) I'd guess that about 90 percent of the population would share at least one of your characteristics.

But I'd agree that the 50s are not a particularly risky age. Most who make it to their 50s will make it to their 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness