Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 01:26 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
A sprain loosens things up and you're more likely to get the clicking and popping. You're also probably paying a lot more attention to that ankle than you do usually.

Have you tried an ankle support or wrap, the thin kind that you can wear a shoe over? It would help with the swelling and probably make your ankle feel more stable while it heals.
YES! The last thing you want to do is re-injure it. High top sneakers could help too. I had some high top leather Reeboks that were great. Also google ankle exercises and do them every morning and night, in bed. Make sure you have full range of motion. A little pain is OK but you should be able to move it normally.

I sprained my right ankle more than a few times. It is always bigger than my left ankle. It can take months to fully heal a bad sprain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 15,568 times
My ankle was so injured 9 months ago I could hear the radiologists in the hallway as they were discussing the xrays and they said they had never seen such a deformed ankle in their lives; well ps, it is now 9 months later and my ankle is still swollen and its warping the way I am walking; my leg is almost turning inwards and I am limping badly still. And I do not drive so I have been walking on it for months now..........what do I do?

Old 03-12-2013, 12:16 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seismictwin View Post
My ankle was so injured 9 months ago I could hear the radiologists in the hallway as they were discussing the xrays and they said they had never seen such a deformed ankle in their lives; well ps, it is now 9 months later and my ankle is still swollen and its warping the way I am walking; my leg is almost turning inwards and I am limping badly still. And I do not drive so I have been walking on it for months now..........what do I do?
Go see a dr. I had forgotten about this thread I had made. My sprain was also about 9 months ago. The swelling finally went away for me at month 7. I did follow up with a dr who took additional xrays and sent me to physical therapy. Everything is fine now, it just took what seemed like forever to get the swelling down. My dr told me that some people do need surgery after a sprain. Follow up with one just to be safe!

Old 06-08-2013, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 14,913 times
Rambling rose
Twisted my ankle nearly a month ago thing is not really painful have rested it iced and aft the first week walked on it but still limping still swollen but not as bad seems to go down a bit after using it in day but when get up in morning swollen again not sure why can stand on injured foot very little pain but swelling does concern me did have xray but nothing broken was told very little at a&e just to rest foot and shown the door told it would probably take longer to heal than a actual break have now booked a appointment with my g p

Old 11-22-2013, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 26,892 times
I sprained my ankle over three weeks ago. The er said it sprain 1, but after a week it decide to bruise really bad. Then now three weeks later the ibuprofen isn't working just putting me to sleep. The swelling is still bad it swells really bad when in ace bandage and splint. I rest more than anything. I'm not sure what to say or do cause it hurts too bad.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 26,892 times
Please help

Old 11-22-2013, 02:31 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
I hate ankle sprains!! Edit: oh I see 11th hour came back and it took months, that I don't understand, and I'm sorry. I will leave my post for less intense sprains tho.

Ok 2 weeks the actual swelling should be mostly down.
Remember you want some swelling....if it is all "dried up" from around the clock
Anti inflams....it's like your tongue healing all dried up with no saliva.
To heal properly keep it a bit swollen. You won't hear this from many bec they
think swelling is the devil....too much swelling is not great, is the point.
The discoloration, as the blood leaves, which there is so often with torn ligaments
and any tendons....will take a while longer.

Wrap it to give it support for weeks/ months afterwards if doing something a little tricky....walking in airports,pulling luggage, of course the obvious, like hiking...

You can just be sitting in a chair a year and a half later and still be aware of that ankle not being right....a little 'pinching'.

And then, don't do it again in the same place!! Oh brother.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 11-22-2013 at 02:39 PM..

Old 11-22-2013, 02:51 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccermom1210 View Post
Please help
Ok, not only can you sleep with your foot on a high soft pillow...but often
raise your leg up in the air,straight, and gently "milk" the swelling...always toward the heart,
of course.
You can also place warm heat, not too hot...on the areas above the ankle to open
up the passage ways for the swelling ..calves, whole leg.

Place a cup of Epsom Salt in a basin just up a bit higher than the ankle of the hottest
water you can stand....after,while warmed, do the gently rubbing to encourage the drainage.

You will probably think, Hot water? Yup. Just til the water cools in a few minutes, don't
burn yourself or anything.
Hope you have a cane for hobbling around the house....take your weight off it.

While in bed, you should be doing "in the air peddling' to exercise your legs and get things
moving.

Also, switch your anti inflams if you must take them...3 aspirin instead of motrin,
sometimes...I think you'll be pleased.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:55 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,987 times
Sounds like what I went through over a year ago. It still isn't healed properly.

Was swollen for over 4 weeks, went to the doctor but at that point not much you can do. Best advice is next time go sooner.

A hard massage that is painful usually helps a lot, it seems counter intuitive, but that healed one of my sprains fast. The last one, I had that lasted over a year, just keep doing stretching exercises, and massages, then use a theraband and strengthen it slowly. Time off is always advisable, I didn't do that either.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 11,300 times
Yes I found this very helpful thank you.
I had a bad fall yesterday and the swelling on my ankle got worse over a few hours-I could hardly get to the bathroom. I started to read your forum and I iced it took meds and rested.
I am amazed at how the swelling has gone down today as it was like a half balloon. I am still sore all over but am so grateful I did not end up in A &E. I swear I am going to be more aware of steps and fall prevention in future esp now I'm in my 60's- life can change so quickly! Thank again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness