Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 04:16 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
in 99 massive biotech engineered food started being fed to the world populous big time.
the french are sweating bullets over it, we are not. bugs will not eat it, everybody cheered hooray. but if bugs wont eat it, should we eat it?
i am concerned. some feel they are releasing this stuff much too fast on the public.
i felt this was connected to your post if not please disregard.

Good point...we should be concerned!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 08:16 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
The symptoms of celiac vary greatly from person to person. The only symptoms that are common in everyone is very foul smelling stool and stool that floats. If you don't have this, you probably dont have celiac.
I beg to differ on the foating stool issue. A stool from a healthy person is one that is medium to light in color AND IT FLOATS. Do your research. You will see that I am right. A stool that sinks is the result of eating too much junk and or meat or fish. The way to have have a healthy bowel movement would be to switch your diet over to strictly organic whole grains and vegetables and a little bit of fruit -- NO SUGAR, NO chemical sugar substitutes, NO PRESERVATIVES, NO GENETICALLY ENGINEERED FOODS, NO MICROWAVED FOODS, NO or every little Dairy. NO MEAT, POULTRY or FISH or VERY LITTLE.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:02 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I beg to differ on the foating stool issue. A stool from a healthy person is one that is medium to light in color AND IT FLOATS. Do your research. You will see that I am right. A stool that sinks is the result of eating too much junk and or meat or fish. The way to have have a healthy bowel movement would be to switch your diet over to strictly organic whole grains and vegetables and a little bit of fruit -- NO SUGAR, NO chemical sugar substitutes, NO PRESERVATIVES, NO GENETICALLY ENGINEERED FOODS, NO MICROWAVED FOODS, NO or every little Dairy. NO MEAT, POULTRY or FISH or VERY LITTLE.

I hate to be a naysayer but I'd be careful dispensing absolute "advice" like this because it is partially misleading. I'm going to make a leap & say that you are not a physician or anyone licensed to dispense such advice.

Some of what you say is accurate while parts are not.
A person who has a gluten intolerance wouldn't be helped simply by going to organic whole grains in general - in fact, without eliminating the necessary ones, they'd continue to get worse (likely).
I don't know that healthy stool should be "medium to light" in colour - I'd question that but don't know for certain.
Certainly it shouldn't be dark & tarry & shouldn't be light light light either.
The reasons you gave for why it doesn't float may or may not be true but ignores the fact that floating stool is relative to what degree of fat is being absorbed properly in a person's bowel.
To say that no sugar is necessary or even healthy is definitely misleading. Few would dispute that processed sugars are not optimal for us.
As for no meat, poultry, fish (all of which are meats), or very little - that is your opinion but not necessarily factual. In fact, vegans or strict vegetarians are far more likely to suffer a serious vitamin B-12 deficiency because of the lack of animal products or not enough. I certainly am not advocating being a carnivore, simply saying that what you are saying is misleading.

Living a healthful life & eating a healthful diet can be complex & may vary depending upon the individual, their specific health needs, & their genetic make-up as well.

Last edited by think.reciprocity; 11-26-2007 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: P.S. Nor am I a physician or anything of the like. Just giving my 50 cents worth - whatever it's worth!

Old 11-28-2007, 11:40 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,201 times
Lightbulb glutens are the devil!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Here is a short quote from an informative article on the NewsTarget.com website:
Gluten Intolerance, also known as Celiac Disease, was once thought to be a rare genetic disorder until 2003 when it was discovered that it is, indeed, quite common. Where once gluten intolerance was thought to affect 1 in 4000 people it is now thought to affect 1 in 133 and researchers expect that number to drop even lower. Yet, even with this new discovery many people in America are going undiagnosed. by Leslee Dru Browning
Click here to read the entire article

blessings...Franco
Don't have time to read the whole post. The fact is, if you have blood type O, you will never be able to digest the glutens in certain grains like wheat. I gave them up years ago and am a thin, healthy chick. I'm happier and don't miss cookies. I'll probably live to be 100! YAY!!!

Old 11-28-2007, 11:46 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
The fact is, if you have blood type O, you will never be able to digest the glutens in certain grains like wheat.

This is not a fact, this is your opinion. There is no researched scientific basis for what you are saying. I don't mind folks throwing their thoughts & opinions out there or mentioning Blood Type Diets or any other alternative therapies - but, don't misleadingly call something a FACT that truly is not - especially on a healthcare issue.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:15 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
There is a simple blood test for celiac. I did a lot of searching concerning what was causing my son's extreme intestinal pain and skin rashes several years ago and just happened to run across an article in some obscure newsletter about it. There was nothing on the web at the time. He has crohn's in addition to celiac and has had to have a good part of his intestines removed from the damage. People of Northern European heritage seem to be more prone to having it according to past research anyway.

I've posted a link to his beta site for restaurant dining options. The contact options aren't up and running as yet but should be by next week. Btw, floating stools are good, it's the sinking ones that show something that's gone thru your system that was bad.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 14,200 times
if you are sensitive to gluten or wheat or whatever type of food, your body will try to get rid of it, including through the skin in the form of acne.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 643 times
I have done blood tests but nothing showed up but I constantly have pain, bloating every time I eat, is there another test that would be more accurate for celiac, my Dad had it and now my brother has Krohns and I have IBS with constipation?

Old 04-02-2015, 10:56 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I was recently diagnosed with celiac. I don't really have any of the GI symptoms thankfully, just neuro and skin reactions. Basically, when I get "glutened", I can sleep for about 24 hours easy. A gluten-free diet is extraordinarily difficult to do in a college cafeteria, let me tell you. :P

It was good thing I ended up being diagnosed. It's not "official" because I haven't had the testing done (it's expensive and why find out definitively if the only treatment is a GF diet?... plus the test where they examine your villi isn't super accurate), but through me, we've come to find out that my entire dad's side of the family has it. They all have been diagnosed with IBS and several have become diabetics which their doctors seem to think might have been caused by undiagnosed celiac. My dad's doctor estimates that he's had symptoms of it for 30 years but was just never diagnosed.
The gastroscopy and biopsy is 'super accurate' but only if you are still on a normal diet. If you go gluten-free first then the damage can heal before the biopsy is done, giving a false negative. There is no way to diagnose after someone has already gone gluten free so any test has to be done while still on the diet and the biopsy is still the gold standard test. But a skin biopsy of DH is considered on par as well so only one of those is needed.

My poor kiddo is going through testing at the moment, got her gastroscopy appointment in June I always knew it was pretty likely that she'd have it though as its genetic and both me and her dad have it (plus many other family members). Anyway who has a close family member diagnosed with CD should get tested, and its also recommended that women with on-going infertility issues be tested too (that's how my mum found out that she had it!)

Old 04-02-2015, 10:58 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma208 View Post
I have done blood tests but nothing showed up but I constantly have pain, bloating every time I eat, is there another test that would be more accurate for celiac, my Dad had it and now my brother has Krohns and I have IBS with constipation?
The blood test will only show anti-bodies if you were still eating gluten while you had it taken, and even then its not that accurate. A gastroscopy and biopsy will tell for sure but only if you are eating gluten for at least a couple of months before the test. As your dad has it then there's an increased chance you have it so ask for a biopsy and continue to eat gluten (at least equivalent to two slices of bread a day)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness