Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 05:10 PM

19,467 posts, read 15,311,107 times

Advertisements

Sorry it's long.

One of my sisters-in-law just turned 50. Her daughter-in-law had liposuction done. Soon after, my SIL decided to do it. My brother didn't want her to do it (they are also in serious financial trouble right now and might be losing their business). She insisted that she wanted it done. So she ended up having lipo, a tummy tuck, and her eyes done.

Well, she had complications. Her lipo areas got infected. (She had never seen what lipo is and didn't know how it was done. ) It did finally heal. But now she can't lay out flat in bed because it pulls the skin from the tummy tuck and hurts. She still has numbness on her face and abdomen. It's been many months after the surgeries and the doctor keeps telling her to wait, it just takes time. But it's taking much longer than they told her it would. So she's concerned about that. And this was supposedly one of the best doctors in the area!

She was supposed to get a job to make the payments for this, but she hasn't done it. And the worst part, we just saw her recently and she's bigger than we have ever seen her (not that she's *that* big, but for her). I know the fat cells are supposedly taken out, but I guess the fat redistributes elsewhere???

Anyway, this has caused quite a strain between her and my brother. I know people have successful surgeries all the time, but this is just so sad to me. She says she regrets doing it.

Everyone makes it sound so simple. I know a lot of people will say it really helps people emotionally to look better, and I completely understand that. Especially if you have something really glaring problem. But if you really think about it, we actually agree to have knives cut us open or have lipo -- have you seen how that works?? -- just because of the fact that we age, which is what we're supposed to do, that's how it's set up! And it's so commonplace (in California, anyway) I'm not at all faulting anyone who does it, honestly. I just think we've been duped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 05:12 PM

37,720 posts, read 46,165,629 times
I don't understand the whole lipo thing anyway. Exercise and a clean diet is FAR easier and cheaper than surgery. Just seems like a needless risk.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:14 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,362,363 times
Sorry for your Sils experience but she shouldhav edone her research and not have went the cheap easy route

5,024 posts, read 8,907,596 times
Yep, I would exercise and diet before I attempted anything like that. That poor woman...and her poor husband.

Thanks for that story.

2,984 posts, read 5,864,983 times
Why are so many people trying to regain their youth by using plastic surgery? We're all getting old. We should just try to remain healthy and let time age us gracefully. We are all going to die; we might as well live life happy and not worry.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't understand the whole lipo thing anyway. Exercise and a clean diet is FAR easier and cheaper than surgery. Just seems like a needless risk.
Yes, I agree. The thing is, she's always been in good shape and taken care of herself. I guess since she started menopause, it's much harder to lose weight. She was walking several miles every day and still couldn't drop the weight. She is/was really attractive, so I think that might be why it's bothering her so much.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:26 PM

670 posts, read 2,116,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Yes, I agree. The thing is, she's always been in good shape and taken care of herself. I guess since she started menopause, it's much harder to lose weight. She was walking several miles every day and still couldn't drop the weight. She is/was really attractive, so I think that might be why it's bothering her so much.
Some women have stubborn pockets of fat in certain places, likes hips and thighs, even when they are in their twenties that exercise and diet just won't remove. I think the lesson here is that you have to fully research and interview many surgeons before committing to plastic surgery. There are websites that give a lot of helpful information, before, during and after pics to give people an idea of what they will go through. I'm sorry for your SIL. She should go back to the surgeon and see if a revision is necessary. If not satisfied with him, she should see another one. (More money, though).

Aging is something that happens to all of us. Unfortunately, some people have better genes and aging gracefully is easier for them than others. Also, when you hear the comments made by a lot of guys, heck, even what you read on this board on any of the weight/fitness/attractiveness threads, many women don't feel they can age without losing their status in the eyes of the male population. Sad, but true.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:32 PM

52,387 posts, read 52,861,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shania View Post
Aging is something that happens to all of us. Unfortunately, some people have better genes and aging gracefully is easier for them than others. Also, when you hear the comments made by a lot of guys, heck, even what you read on this board on any of the weight/fitness/attractiveness threads, many women don't feel they can age without losing their status in the eyes of the male population. Sad, but true.
There are a couple of posters here that drone on and on about fitness and working out.

They sound like herion addicts the only difference is the drug of choice.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:34 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,907,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
There are a couple of posters here that drone on and on about fitness and working out.

They sound like herion addicts the only difference is the drug of choice.

Ooh, good one!

Old 05-01-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shania View Post
Some women have stubborn pockets of fat in certain places, likes hips and thighs, even when they are in their twenties that exercise and diet just won't remove. I think the lesson here is that you have to fully research and interview many surgeons before committing to plastic surgery. There are websites that give a lot of helpful information, before, during and after pics to give people an idea of what they will go through. I'm sorry for your SIL. She should go back to the surgeon and see if a revision is necessary. If not satisfied with him, she should see another one. (More money, though).

I think she did research the doctor. Like I said, he's supposed to be very good. I don't know how much she researched the procedures. She actually said she didn't want to know how lipo worked because then she might not go through with it. I think she has since researched it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness