Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 05:34 PM

635 posts, read 754,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Your not taking any responsibility for what you put in your mouth?
On top of that, I've told my doctor I don't want to be on Ambien AND I'm taking unisom on top of it. So no, I don't feel bad because no one feels the need to help me. At least I know I need help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 05:41 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
Taking sleeping pills to make you fall asleep is just covering up the problem and giving you another. There are other reasons you are not sleeping (perhaps stress or a fretful nature). You need to get off the meds - especially since they are not helping anyway. Just ween yourself, if they don't work well anyway what do you have to lose ?

Try exercise (it won't work at first) and perhaps some Ken Burns before bedtime, or a glass (or 2) of red wine. I have issue sleeping and all those work for me but I still wake in the night (just don't get up).

Old 04-25-2016, 05:55 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Wonder if you've tried other methods to fall asleep? Such as yoga followed by a hot bath using relaxation bath salts? (or more cheaply, Epsom salt mixed with baking soda).

This combo seems to open the door to restful sleep, unknots a stressed mind and body...and no prescription needed.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:32 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Wonder if you've tried other methods to fall asleep? Such as yoga followed by a hot bath using relaxation bath salts? (or more cheaply, Epsom salt mixed with baking soda).

This combo seems to open the door to restful sleep, unknots a stressed mind and body...and no prescription needed.
Epsom salt warm bath really helps!

Old 04-25-2016, 06:40 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
I think the Epsom salt helps draw out lactic acid from the body and that reduces stress/tension -- or at least that's what I remember being told once. All I know is that it really helps with stress -- and sore muscles!

Old 04-25-2016, 06:59 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
Um, have you been on Ambien for 3 years and successfully weaned yourself off?
Yes. Slowly wean yourself off Ambien. It will take a few weeks but can be done

Old 04-25-2016, 06:59 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Epsom salts are magnesium, and magnesium relaxes muscles and can help you sleep. There's an entire thread on insomnia in Alternative Medicine. It talks about supplements that you can buy for sleep. Maybe you could start on some of the supplements and at the same time, you could start cutting down on the Ambien. I'm no expert but you do need something to help you sleep and the supplements often DO work and you don't get addicted to them.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:06 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
I've had 3 sleep studies which have been worthless. I think they are a farce. When I went to the first one I learned I could have brought a sleeping pill or anything else to help put me to sleep. The entire benefit of the study is to observe behavior while asleep. I never went to sleep for the first one. The second one the tech didn't tell me that when I went to sleep she would put a mask over my face. She slapped a mask onto my face and I woke up startled and never went back to sleep. The third one he thought I had restless legs, but when I go to sleep at home all the evidence points to me not moving much.

I hallucinate when taking antidepressants and quit when realized the cause, although they were sort of fun. Had them a long time, maybe a year.

For sleep, I take one med that makes me sleepy, plus I take a generic Dramamine and go to sleep less than 5 minutes going to bed. The Dramamine is because I have a postural syndrome which affects most people when they are vertical, but mine is when I'm horizontal. It's sort of a horizontal vertigo causing my bed to feel like it's rocking wildly.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:22 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
On top of that, I've told my doctor I don't want to be on Ambien AND I'm taking unisom on top of it. So no, I don't feel bad because no one feels the need to help me. At least I know I need help.
What you are not understanding is take responsibility and stop. That is the only solution. There isn't another magic pill. You have to stick through some sleepless nights and get through it.

Last edited by veuvegirl; 04-25-2016 at 08:37 PM..

Old 04-25-2016, 07:43 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Um, have you been on Ambien for 3 years and successfully weaned yourself off?

Yeah. Was there supposed to be withdrawls or something?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness