Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 06:04 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
Um, have you been on Ambien for 3 years and successfully weaned yourself off?
I think the point may be, did you investigate this drug when you began taking it? Did you find out what the do's and dont's of the using the drug are before taking it for a long time? Most manufacturer's sites are very forthright about the possibility of habituation, addiction, etc. And there are several good, straightforward medical sites as well.

Now that the days of the family doctor are over, it is probably a necessity to do our own research as soon as we get a prescription and not give unquestioning trust to the doctor. Regrettable as that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 06:50 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo shoeshine View Post
Medical marijuana. It allows for exit from manufactured synthetic drugs that leave a trail of tears.
Learn to cook with marijuana, a nice canibus brownie an hour before bedtime will take you to the most pleasured sleep you will know.....the best part, you feel like your self in the am!
I second this.
OP, do u have access to medical Marijuana?... and I dont mean packing a bowl and smoking the stuff, but rather eating something with marijuana baked into it? Or even taking it in pill form... I have personal experince with it and have suffered with sleep problems on and off my entire life. ... It does indeed work. It's such a more natural and restful sleep. Truly restorative sleep in my opinion....not that chemically induced sleep where you feel like you're being put to sleep on a surgery table and awake hours later like....what the??

I'm not saying replace one substance with another, but at least with marijuana it's not this synthetically produced chemical you're putting into your body. It may be able to help you break that Ambien cycle and perhaps eventually be substance free.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:23 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,181 times
Quote:
She's been saying the same thing for months now......

I may have major stress going on, but I can't be completely exhausted all day. What sucks is that psych doctors take forever to get an appointment in my area since there aren't many, so I'm limited on switching doctors. I just feel that this is a permanent feeling I mean, if I'm taking unisom with Ambien, I don't know how I can wean myself off....
You need a different doctor. She's not helping, even when you're advocating for yourself.

I'm not sure exactly why she wants to keep you on the ambien, but it's for all the wrong reasons.

Ambien is horrible, I was on it at a minimum of 20mg a night and it did nothing eventually. Similar to the tolerance you're building.

Honestly, I'm a bit shocked you'd tell your therapist no ambien, what else can I use and they're saying No, keep taking ambien. Most Dr I know would love to get patients off drugs like ambien.

They're meant for short term use, not years, but it seems they get handed out like candy now.

Quote:
I feel this is such negligence on doctors when they do BS like this. They know patients shouldn't be on drugs like this long-term, yet they keep them on it, and look what happens.
Yupp! But it's a lot easier to tell your patient, Oh take this pill and you'll sleep, but isn't addressing why you can't sleep.

Quote:
Um, have you been on Ambien for 3 years and successfully weaned yourself off?
No, but I was on it for 4+ years and went cold turkey off of it. Wasn't fun at all, but I haven't taken it once since. Best decision ever.

Quote:
On top of that, I've told my doctor I don't want to be on Ambien AND I'm taking unisom on top of it. So no, I don't feel bad because no one feels the need to help me. At least I know I need help.
Yea, see this to me is completely negligent. It's not correct that she's okay with your current situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
What you are not understanding is take responsibility and stop. That is the only solution. There isn't another magic pill. You have to stick through some sleepless nights and get through it.
Yupp, unfortunately.

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I'll definitely check out the mentioned thread. I take around 800mg of magnesium a day now, but do I need to take more?

I have a white noise machine as well (as someone mentioned). I am also on the extended release Ambien. I also rarely drink caffeine and don't drink alcohol or smoke.

Is it good to take any kind of sleep aid? Like Unisom? I just hate the thought of being a zombie for several days at work if I stop Ambien, but something has to change quick as I'm getting a PT serving job at a bar and may not get home till really late some nights (right now, I want to go to bed at 8pm....and I'm freakin 27).
Have you looked into "sleep hygiene", simple tricks like only using your bed for sleep, not having the TV on, don't use electronic devices with screens an hour before bed time since the light can mess with your circadian rhythm. Try to create a bedtime ritual. If you've ever tried mindfulness you can use a guided meditation or a progressive muscle relaxation both can help bring you down and get you sleepy.

It's not fun, but it's worth it in the end. I'm so thankful I don't take ambien anymore and wouldn't take either again for all the tea in China.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:26 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Wean yourself off the drugs right before you take at least a week's vacation from your job. Then while you are on vacation, TAKE NO DRUGS WHATSOEVER (unless of course you're prescribed something for your physical health). Don't drink, don't use any recreational drugs, don't ingest any caffeine.

If you don't sleep, you don't sleep. It won't kill you. And you can't screw up your work because you're on vacation. Do physical exercise, relax before bed. Make a before-bed habit and do it in the same order each night, e.g. take a walk, take a bath, have a glass of milk, spend a half-hour of listening to a relaxation tape. Do the exact same thing every night to train your brain that sleep follows this patter.

If you still can't sleep, get up and do something constructive until you are tired. But don't take any medication at all. You need to detox your body (which will probably take far longer than a week) and your body clock needs to reset itself.

Some of us just have to deal with sleep patterns that are not the norm. I've had a sleep disorder called Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome since I was a child (confirmed by a psychologist and an extensive sleep lab study). There's no drug to "fix" it. It's not pleasant because it doesn't fit in with the norms of society. But I just deal with it. It's easier if I accept what my body wants to do and don't fight nature. As a result I sometimes feel terrible but it's better than being a drug addict.

If you can't sleep because of anxiety, you'd be better off dealing with that issue than masking the problems with sleep aids. Talk to a therapist. Anti-anxiety meds work fairly well and have some of the fewest side effects of all psychiatric drugs. Personally I think people should avoid benzodiazepine drugs because they can be addictive (Xanax, Valium, etc.) Most therapists today prefer SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors), such as Paxil or Zoloft. They have relatively few side effects for most people and are good for treating repetitive or compulsive thought issues, social anxiety, OCD, etc. A low dose of Paxil is mild enough that it is often prescribed to very nervous elderly people who can't sleep. SSRIs aren't knock-out drugs, they will just help you deal with your stress, if that's what's causing your sleeplessness.

But simply stated, some people just don't need eight hours of sleep once in a 24-hour period. Some need less, some need more. Einstein slept for 10 hours and night AND took naps. Winston Churchill stayed up VERY late working but rose at 8 am for breakfast every day. Then he went to bed a second time from 4:30 to 6:30 pm. He was religious about these habits and he got a tremendous amount of work done each day. Lyndon Johnson was also a two-sleeps-a-day man and they didn't add up to eight hours. Most people who sleep well exercise every day ... walking, swimming, yoga are good sleep aids that help people wind down. Having a regular schedule helps the mind know when to chill.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:18 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I feel for you, OP. I have had sleep problems almost my entire life, I am now in my 60s. I have not wanted to resort to sleeping pills because of the issues. I have tried almost everything else.

I do wish I had access to medical marijuana because I feel certain it would help me fall and stay asleep. I am a healthy woman who works out daily, no (or very little ) stress, low caffeine only in am, no smoking, moderate alcohol, and none of the supplements work for me - I have tried magnesium, melatonin, taurine, valerian, hops and who knows what else. Some worked a bit for a time, but it's getting harder and harder and it's frustrating.

Good luck to you!

Old 04-26-2016, 04:40 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Elvis Presley died taking Sleeping pills back in 1977 ......take care like take 150 mg of Magnesium Citrate to get a good night instead

Old 04-26-2016, 05:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Go back to your Doctor and tell her that you have made the decision to change your medication and she should abide by your decision or you will find someone else.
Sometimes you have to do it this way. I was having worse and worse side effects, and then started passing out. The doctor of the month said, oh no our stuff can't do that. I went to the library and did research. Wrong, doctor. For *some* one could cause sudden falls in blood pressure.

I weaned myself off of all of them, cutting them back by tiny amount a week. I used a pill box so I could set things up for a week, and two pills a week hardly made an dent at first when you took four a day. But eventually I started feeling better, and the doctor noticed. I'd also decided it was time to get out of Dodge with all the baggage there and was moving. I did tell this one that I'd cut way back on all the meds and felt better in all ways and .... surpise! This one was fine with it since he could see I was doing so much better. But normally one had no choice.

Don't change meds drastically, all at once, but with small doses. I went with a week per change and noticed no problems. Also look up the side effects and when they become a warning to do something, and tell the doctor why. If you have medical side effects, by all means, see your medical doctor and get help backing out of the offender.

I don't know if its the norm everywhere, but the system I dealt with saw only their side, and if you had physical, or life limiting problems which came from the physical, they just said it was important to take your medication. Perhaps not all have this but I did. My GP also did all the test they were supposed to and one pdoc said liver indications really weren't as important.

If the 'cure' is making more problems than the problem, its time to defend yourself.

What I remember most about ambien was feeling like I was in a fog that was taking me over and times of complete memory lapse. It didn't last long at all.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:35 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I am no expert, but I also struggle with sleeplessness. I fall asleep, but then wake up at 1 or 2 am and toss and turn for hours.
I have never taken anything, but I have noticed that every third night, or so, I sleep fine. I do not take naps during the day. My feeling is that sleep aids are bad, and I would rather allow my body to tell me what it wants. it seems to want less sleep than it used to.
If I wake up, I go to the bathroom, drink a huge glass of water and read until I fall asleep. The less sleep I get tonight, the more sleep I will get tomorrow, etc.
I wouldn't touch a sleeping pill to sleep, or a caffeine drink to stay away...its not natural, and if it is not natural, then I don't want it.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:36 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I've had 3 sleep studies which have been worthless. I think they are a farce. When I went to the first one I learned I could have brought a sleeping pill or anything else to help put me to sleep. The entire benefit of the study is to observe behavior while asleep. I never went to sleep for the first one. The second one the tech didn't tell me that when I went to sleep she would put a mask over my face. She slapped a mask onto my face and I woke up startled and never went back to sleep. The third one he thought I had restless legs, but when I go to sleep at home all the evidence points to me not moving much.

I hallucinate when taking antidepressants and quit when realized the cause, although they were sort of fun. Had them a long time, maybe a year.

For sleep, I take one med that makes me sleepy, plus I take a generic Dramamine and go to sleep less than 5 minutes going to bed. The Dramamine is because I have a postural syndrome which affects most people when they are vertical, but mine is when I'm horizontal. It's sort of a horizontal vertigo causing my bed to feel like it's rocking wildly.
If you had the same problem with the AD's maybe your hypersensitive to them and other meds. I've discovered that maybe a quarter of the normal dose not only doesn't turn into overkill but works with most meds. I take a teaspoon of benadryl and it knocks out all the cogestion as if I took much more (taking the kids pink icky tasting surup here). While I kept cutting back, when I reached a half to a quarter of the perscription meds I found they actually did a lot better than the overkill dose.

When I get headed for a down, and I know its coming or come, I can take ONE pharmacutical quality St. John's Wort, and the crash and baggage go away.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:09 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
I do better with no more than one or two caffeinated beverages before noon, keeping a good fitness program going (wearing out my muscles helps), hot bath before bed AND my favorite, reading. I like murder mysteries myself. I alternate between ZzzQuil, and other OTC sleep aids. I favor the ones that say non-habit forming, though they are a habit for me. Sometimes I pair up the sleep aid with a melatonin. If I remotely have a sniffle I go for the NiQuil. Every now and then I'll take benadryl.

It occurred to me that it might be a good idea for you to take a few days off and allow yourself to nap during the day, catch up on some sleep, stay up reading... sort of sleep on demand. But in naps and with activities planned in between. Nap, weed the flower bed. Nap, wash the car. Do physical stuff.

One great thing about reading is you can put your mind into someone else's life but without all the aches and pains, rude drivers, snippy coworkers, etc. If you read until you're drowsy, let yourself drift off thinking about what you've read.

Prayer helps for me. Start with every family member you know and ask for blessings for them, then list everything you're thankful for in this world. (birds, new magazines, Taco Bell, fresh air, fingernails) OR you can pick up your Bible and read - that usually a sure thing for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness