Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 07:46 PM

5 posts, read 4,579 times

Advertisements

isn't there an Ambien extended (or controlled?) release? or is that what you are on? I'm sorry, I don't have any personal experience with it, I just know someone who has been addicted to it for ages. He used to have severe hallucinations when he didn't go to sleep. He still takes it and his dr is constantly increasing his meds because of his increasing tolerances. It's very disturbing. Maybe instead the dr should address the issue that he drinks a dozen sodas a day, drinks a dozen cups of coffee a day, takes a bunch of Adderall, smokes 2 packs of cigarettes a day... maybe that's why he can't sleep?? He does all that to combat the drowsiness of the increasing Ambien doses. Vicious cycles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 08:02 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeltx98 View Post
isn't there an Ambien extended (or controlled?) release? or is that what you are on? I'm sorry, I don't have any personal experience with it, I just know someone who has been addicted to it for ages. He used to have severe hallucinations when he didn't go to sleep. He still takes it and his dr is constantly increasing his meds because of his increasing tolerances. It's very disturbing. Maybe instead the dr should address the issue that he drinks a dozen sodas a day, drinks a dozen cups of coffee a day, takes a bunch of Adderall, smokes 2 packs of cigarettes a day... maybe that's why he can't sleep?? He does all that to combat the drowsiness of the increasing Ambien doses. Vicious cycles.
Many people without those addictions have insomnia, like myself. I find there isn't a lot of sympathy from people who fall asleep easily. I never have caffeine beyond my morning coffee, and can work myself into exhaustion, yet still toss and turn all night.

OP, I stopped using Ambien after my first prescription ran out. Now I sleep well using a combination of melatonin ( 3 mgs and I'll take 3 of them), and the Costco OTC sleep aid. I haven't had to up the dosage in a long time, so I think I've found the combo that works for me.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:02 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
If you can't wean yourself off with or without your doctor's help, you need to "go to rehab" so to speak for prescription drug addiction.

Ultimately, it is all up to you. Best of luck!

Old 04-25-2016, 08:15 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Default hyped up on caffeine/nicotine

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeltx98 View Post

It's no wonder NO SLEEP, I don't take a sip of coffee after 3PM. I have a bridge friend who says she does NOT sleep and she drinks coffee all day and smokes all day. I've called her on her habit, but she does not care..

I do have my sleep remedy posted here, I sleep 8-10 hrs nightly. No pharma drug for me.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:34 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
I have a history of sleep problems and have used Benedryl regularly in the past. I've weened myself off of it. Things that have helped me are:

NO caffein after 10am. (Coffee, tea, green tea, chocolate)

No vitmins after 10am.

Exercise, but not after dinner except leisurely walks.

When trying to sleep, I concentrate on my breathing and avoid other thoughts.

Sleep in a totally dark room.

If you toss & turn, try a different bed, or your head at the foot of the bed, the floor, sofa, etc.

Sometimes it helps to eat carbs (but not sugar). Oatmeal works best for me.

Ibuprofen

Epsom salts or topical magnesium oil. (not oral magnesium. )

I hope you find something that helps. It can be sooo miserable!!

Old 04-25-2016, 08:44 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I've had 3 sleep studies which have been worthless. I think they are a farce. When I went to the first one I learned I could have brought a sleeping pill or anything else to help put me to sleep. The entire benefit of the study is to observe behavior while asleep. I never went to sleep for the first one. The second one the tech didn't tell me that when I went to sleep she would put a mask over my face. She slapped a mask onto my face and I woke up startled and never went back to sleep. The third one he thought I had restless legs, but when I go to sleep at home all the evidence points to me not moving much.

I hallucinate when taking antidepressants and quit when realized the cause, although they were sort of fun. Had them a long time, maybe a year.

For sleep, I take one med that makes me sleepy, plus I take a generic Dramamine and go to sleep less than 5 minutes going to bed. The Dramamine is because I have a postural syndrome which affects most people when they are vertical, but mine is when I'm horizontal. It's sort of a horizontal vertigo causing my bed to feel like it's rocking wildly.
Meant to say: One hour before bedtime,

Old 04-26-2016, 04:45 AM

4,848 posts, read 2,665,246 times
turn on a floor fan just for the background noise or use one of those noise/sleep machines...try it. whataya got to loose

Old 04-26-2016, 05:07 AM

635 posts, read 753,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Epsom salts are magnesium, and magnesium relaxes muscles and can help you sleep. There's an entire thread on insomnia in Alternative Medicine. It talks about supplements that you can buy for sleep. Maybe you could start on some of the supplements and at the same time, you could start cutting down on the Ambien. I'm no expert but you do need something to help you sleep and the supplements often DO work and you don't get addicted to them.
Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I'll definitely check out the mentioned thread. I take around 800mg of magnesium a day now, but do I need to take more?

I have a white noise machine as well (as someone mentioned). I am also on the extended release Ambien. I also rarely drink caffeine and don't drink alcohol or smoke.

Is it good to take any kind of sleep aid? Like Unisom? I just hate the thought of being a zombie for several days at work if I stop Ambien, but something has to change quick as I'm getting a PT serving job at a bar and may not get home till really late some nights (right now, I want to go to bed at 8pm....and I'm freakin 27).

Old 04-26-2016, 05:37 AM

4 posts, read 3,027 times
Default I would start a regime of

Medical marijuana. It allows for exit from manufactured synthetic drugs that leave a trail of tears.
Learn to cook with marijuana, a nice canibus brownie an hour before bedtime will take you to the most pleasured sleep you will know.....the best part, you feel like your self in the am!

Old 04-26-2016, 05:56 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Start lowering the doses and see what happens. You need to ween yourself off of these sleeping pills. You realize you have a problem. Talk to medical professionals.
Agreed. Ambien is like most drugs that are taken long term-you need to taper off them when discontinuing them because your body is used to them being in the system. I agree with your doc; another sleep study is in order. The worst thing that happens is they find nothing and you've lost nothing but a little money. But if they find out the cause, you will get appropriate treatment and often sleep studies are the only way to discover the cause of a person's insomnia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness