Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 10:31 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

Your numbers are good, they are OK..they can vary too just like the crazy blood pressure numbers... If your cholesterol gets to 300 then you can think deeper on it. We need good oils. Why are there so many and I mean many links on the value of CO.

I could never go back to allopathic MD's, they know how to instill fear in their patients to get us on their drugs. I take a few but if I had my druthers, I'd druther not.

I have a new story from my friend who is being treated by kaiser and she's beginning to see the depth of money paid by medicare to kaiser for what she's going thru. I may post on this. She's a friend who is very alternative/holistic and found herself in the kaiser HMO system and now scratching her head and searching her mind on what she's done. And what kaiser is doing. Ordering more tests, so they can get more money from medicare...

And the complaints about health insurance, we need to work to keep ourselves out of the "system"...

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-23-2016 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 12:59 PM

Here is a little history on the refined CO from the 70's and 80's but it's best to use Unrefined CO. Read the label. Some testimonies from folks too on health issues like ecezma.

Is Coconut Oil Really All It's Cracked Up To Be?

Old 05-23-2016, 02:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Yes, you cannot believe what every doctor tells you regarding diet. They themselves are not sure what to preach and seem to flip flop every other day. I guess yours is still on the saturated fat bandwagon. It's been dispelled. Coconut oil of course is natural as is avocado, almonds etc, all food saturated fats. I prefer to go with the consensus. They see a high number in your cholesterol and magically attribute it to one thing. "Oh, it's the coconut oil, you need to stop using it", when not even considering all the many other foods that we all eat on a daily basis. Doctors, are good at reading the results of tests and giving out prescriptions, they are not dietitians and many times are not even well informed or up to date. Their answers to many problems as we all know are pills, pills, pills, which brings up the question... on you on any cholesterol meds?

20 Coconut Oil Benefits (#5 is Life-Saving)
I think the secret is having a doctor that will go out of the box. Too many go according to the book, they seem to be unable to think on their own or try something different.

OP' The numbers really are barely over the suggested numbers. I remember when anything below 220 was considered normal and even below 240 was acceptable without thought of statin drugs. The same with BP. Every few years they lower the numbers to what is acceptable, what is normal or border line ad what is too high.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:16 PM

And as I've said in other posts, some or maybe even many MD's feel cholesterol is not the heart culprit, but homocysteine is the heart culprit...that's what my MD started testing a couple years ago and my homocysteine was elevated...goes along too with MTHFR mutation gene issue. B12 and Methyfolate are critical for lowering homocysteine.

This book is a mind/eye opener.

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Revoluti.../dp/0060929731

Old 05-23-2016, 03:16 PM

421 posts, read 328,400 times
What are some good ways to get cholesterol down some?

Old 05-23-2016, 03:43 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Received cholesterol test results yesterday. Physician assistant phoned to discuss nutrition. She asked me what type of oil I use. I told her mainly coconut oil. She suggested that I stop using that. I was stunned
She said it is not a healthy oil because of saturated fat content. I guess I have been living under a rock. I have been using it generously......even add a teaspoon it to my oatmeal in the morning.....because it seems like anything I have ever heard about its use is positive. Anyone else been told this by your doctor?
My results
Total. 218
HDL. 53
LDL. 146
Trig. 93
Coconut oil and Sesame Seed oil are among the healthiest and have been in use for 100 s of years in the East...

Old 05-23-2016, 04:44 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Yes I thought that is was a healthy saturated fat too. I eat about 4 eggs a week.....very little fried food, no red meat. Thanks for that link.....have to do more research.....I don't know what is safe to eat any more. Really confused about eggs too.

That sure is the truth! All I know for sure is that vegetables (non starchy) are good.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedmountain View Post
What are some good ways to get cholesterol down some?
Exercise raises good cholesterol, I know that much.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And as I've said in other posts, some or maybe even many MD's feel cholesterol is not the heart culprit, but homocysteine is the heart culprit...that's what my MD started testing a couple years ago and my homocysteine was elevated...goes along too with MTHFR mutation gene issue. B12 and Methyfolate are critical for lowering homocysteine.

This book is a mind/eye opener.

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Revoluti.../dp/0060929731
Thanks a lot for the info. All my MD does is prescribe statins and exercise.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:55 PM

699 posts, read 1,014,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
none of us seem to know what to eat anymore. Today's warning are tomorrows healthy foods. Yes, look at the egg thing, the butter and even avocado many years ago. Then we have to worry about mercury in our fish and does the beef you eat have too many hormones.

I was under the impression that the latest studies indicate the popularity of coconut oil lately is the health factor. We were told, about 25 years ago when the guidelines came out, not to use it. One of the things we have to remember is: doctors know a lot but not always much about nutrition.
So true . I spend a fortune on organic chicken and eat only "wild" fish.....no red meat....now I'm concerned that I'm eating too much fish because of mercury. Seriously short on "healthy" food choices. One can eat only so many beans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness