Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2018, 10:29 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My hip replacement was a success until after the 5th month post op. Then FOR ME, it all went downhill...shorter leg showed it's ugly head and body was so off and I live with all that now, 8 yrs coming up soon. Hope you are more successful ongoing. And then there is all the nerve damage from Anterior approach....my surgeon did a sloppy job and was in a hurry to go home. That's my thinking on it all.
Yet all you have to base your "thinking" on is that your surgery was done on a Friday. How long were you in the OR, by the way?

Old 08-13-2018, 10:48 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
I'm on another group and a member's mother is doing good with stem cells...here is what she says:

((As the doctor in ARO clinic explained, the majority of the cells are obtained from the bone marrow of the patient. The stem cells are derived from the fat present in the bone marrow of the patient. When these cells are injected into the affected area, they can transform into the cells needed for that area. New growth and healing is stimulated by these stem cells when they are injected into the injured area.

So far, my mom has had 3 shots and she says she already feels the results. We didn't get our hopes up for this treatment cuz I read that some people weren't helped, but, fortunately, this therapy is helping my mom, her body doesn't reject the cells.))

So it all depends on the money one can spend to do these. And how against they are about surgery. As I said I'm concentrating on dextrose and PRP as I've had them and they work in my body, dextrose for sure.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-13-2018 at 10:57 AM..

Old 08-13-2018, 10:49 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,613,411 times
Quote:
My hip replacement was a success until after the 5th month post op. Then FOR ME, it all went downhill...shorter leg showed it's ugly head and body was so off and I live with all that now, 8 yrs coming up soon. Hope you are more successful ongoing. And then there is all the nerve damage from Anterior approach....my surgeon did a sloppy job and was in a hurry to go home. That's my thinking on it all.
No nerve damage and I am positive this will be good 10 years from now.

Anterior approach is less invasive. I wouldn't want my muscle cut.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
No nerve damage and I am positive this will be good 10 years from now.

Anterior approach is less invasive. I wouldn't want my muscle cut.
Yes, I did my research and that's what I found too so went with that Anterior. You can find links on nerve damage and anterior now. I followed a surgeon's site in Louisiana and he had done Anteriors but found he was doing nerve damage, so pretty much stopped them

So as I've said, these surgeries are all crapshoots.

A neighbor had one posterior and one anterior and no nerve damage...but she barely walks...lives on rollator.

Your youth is one your side. My issues didn't start to really get to me until I was early 70's although a life of OA...guess I'm lucky in that respect.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:10 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,613,411 times
Quote:
Yes, I did my research and that's what I found too so went with that Anterior. You can find links on nerve damage and anterior now. I followed a surgeon's site in Louisiana and he had done Anteriors but found he was doing nerve damage, so pretty much stopped them

So as I've said, these surgeries are all crapshoots.

A neighbor had one posterior and one anterior and no nerve damage...but she barely walks...lives on rollator.
I would hardly call a 95% success rate a crap shoot.

"The success rate for this surgery is high, with greater than 95% of patients experiencing relief from hip pain. The success rate of hip replacements 10 years after surgery is 90- 95% and at 20 years 80-85%. Should an implant wear or loosen, revision to a new hip replacement is possible."

https://www.hss.edu/conditions_hip-k...rgery-faqs.asp

I do agree that my age is a factor. I wore my hip out being active. I am happy I got it done now because it will get harder the older I get.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I would hardly call a 95% success rate a crap shoot.

"The success rate for this surgery is high, with greater than 95% of patients experiencing relief from hip pain. The success rate of hip replacements 10 years after surgery is 90- 95% and at 20 years 80-85%. Should an implant wear or loosen, revision to a new hip replacement is possible."

https://www.hss.edu/conditions_hip-k...rgery-faqs.asp

I do agree that my age is a factor. I wore my hip out being active. I am happy I got it done now because it will get harder the older I get.
As I've said if I had a GOOD outcome I would be talking differently most likely. I didn't go into the surgery thinking I'd come out as I have.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:15 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
As I've said if I had a GOOD outcome I would be talking differently most likely. I didn't go into the surgery thinking I'd come out as I have.
Then stop making up stories about "crap shoots" and "50 50" results when you know it isn't true....

Old 08-14-2018, 04:49 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Whether from surgery or not,one leg shorter can cause problems which in no way has anything to do with the surgeon botching the job or being sloppy or hurrying off to his golf game
Remedies, besides forever blaming the doctor include such things as heel lifts.

Last edited by old_cold; 08-14-2018 at 05:14 AM..

Old 08-14-2018, 07:32 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Then stop making up stories about "crap shoots" and "50 50" results when you know it isn't true....
And there's the problem. Real life experiences (good and bad) can be soooo informative. I want to know the risk but to paint joint replacement as some "lucky" hunch as jammin does, is in no way helpful or informative.
Yes I absolutely want to know the risk, I could do without the "my surgeon is a knife pushing drone of the Insurance company " commentary.
They do a disservice to all

Old 08-14-2018, 09:27 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Whether from surgery or not,one leg shorter can cause problems which in no way has anything to do with the surgeon botching the job or being sloppy or hurrying off to his golf game
Remedies, besides forever blaming the doctor include such things as heel lifts.
Jammin did post the difference in leg length once, and when I looked it up, a large percent of the population naturally has that discrepancy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness