Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 08:25 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I hope we are laughing for the same reasons.

That was the most ridiculous post ive ever read.
Well, it's right up there for sure!

I have a few suggestions for that poster, but the only one i'm willing to make public is that he keep his day job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 08:43 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
This raises the question, why do parents introduce their children to coffee drinking? Knowing that they are addicted to it themselves, why do they impose that on their kids? So many bad habits, such as eating junk food and candy, consuming sugary drinks, etc., are learned at home. If young people never have any of those things, they won't feel deprived of them nor will they have to break any addictions.
In my opinion it's simply because coffee is socially acceptable. And i think majority of people think there are zero harmful side effects from coffee. Which for the most part I think is true - you can tell by this thread that most people drink coffee and have zero issues. But for me, it aggravates IBS and heightens my anxiety (which you can also tell by this thread that it causes that for a lot of people too). Also i think a lot of coffee drinking starts as an adult, maybe in college studying for exams or once people start working a 9-5, so that can't really be blamed on the parents. In my case, my parents are definitely to blame lol because i started drinking it at 15. I'm now 30 ! But I'm sure my parents thought it was totally harmless, which in most cases it is.

I do know a few people who have never drank coffee and i am super jealous of them ! I should have never started. And the more i think about it and look back at the past, i can see that the coffee drinking totally changed me as a person at 15. I can remember being totally different before i started drinking it compared to after.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:09 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,389 times
If you started at age 15, you would have been totally different by now in any case.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:57 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
Multiple times...sometimes for years. Since having kids I do drink more caffeine but I’ll regularly quit for a few months when it gets excessive. But sometimes if you’re up all night with a puking kid and have to go to work it’s the only real solution to staying awake.

The best way to do it is cold turkey. You’ll have a headache for a few days to a week but then be fine. If you want to keep off of it you can easily do so - I tend to slide back on and then when I get over two cups a day again I cut it out for a while. It helps me not to build a tolerance.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:29 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
If you started at age 15, you would have been totally different by now in any case.
I meant i changed back when i was 15. I feel like after i started drinking coffee i just had a lot more anxiety and became a lot more self conscious - i can just remember a distinct difference between 9th grade and 10th grade when i started drinking it. Obviously there are a ton of factors at work at that age. So i can't say whether it's due to caffeine or not, but it's just interesting to think about.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:54 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
So you're assuming every single person who drinks coffee is addicted to it? Is everyone who has a glass of wine or a can of beer addicted to alcohol?

In a lot of cultures (including my Sicilian relatives) children are given a little wine at celebrations. We would be given wine at dinners watered down with soda water, and sometimes a little coffee with a lot of milk. I never saw any of the adults in my family overindulge or get drunk. See the section on modeling here:

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicati.../adolflyer.htm
As a child, my neighbors would watch me while mom got my two older sisters ready for school. The wife would make me breakfast and the husband would make me coffee. Heated milk with a little coffee... I loved it...

In fact, my preference is still very white coffee. And milk, not cream.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:53 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
As a child, my neighbors would watch me while mom got my two older sisters ready for school. The wife would make me breakfast and the husband would make me coffee. Heated milk with a little coffee... I loved it...

In fact, my preference is still very white coffee. And milk, not cream.
It was a ritual that made me feel like I was being included in the adult world. I seriously doubt there was enough caffeine in the mix to cause us health problems.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:32 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Yes, over a year with no caffeine..........no health improvements, no psychological improvements.....overall it was a big negative.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:44 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
I've gone long spells without it - thought it was increasing my food appetite and wanted to lose weight....but now I usually drink 1/2 caff (Lite).....mostly for the cardio effects (decrease heart rate/bp)....just heard that the American Heart Association has recommended 130/80 as the new hypertension reading and said that low salt, low caffeine, low alcohol intake are recommended as well as weight control, fitness before meds.......so that may mean for me a complete cessation of caffeine.....I enjoy coffee and a couple of light beers each day.....really my only vices.

I know withdrawing for caff will cause headaches for a few days - always does - but goes away....I know I'm a little hazy and sleepy in the mornings without it.

Old 08-23-2018, 03:01 PM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times
No, I can't quit caffeine, I have about 6-8 diet drinks with max caffeine, 1-2 iced coffees, and 1-2 energy drinks every day with the exception of Sunday. I drink 50-60 ounces of water a day as well. The combined impact is all generally bad, although the Monster energy drink gives me a good buzzed and relaxed feeling, like a nicotine replacement effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness