Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 06:57 PM

396 posts, read 421,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Is there some reason you can't just take OTC NyQuil?

I don't think the level of drama here - about a cough! - is likely to help give your doc the impression that prescribing you serious drugs is a great idea.
I am taking OTC meds.

I didn't ask for any medication at the doctor. I figured I'd try what he gave me. So no I didn't give him any impression. I was dull and lifeless when I was there. I hardly spoke at all because I was sick. Running a fever, coughing, feeling like garbage.

The next day I called to ask for something that was a syrup. I didn't request a specific drug. I just asked the nurse, can you ask the doctor if he can just give me old fashioned cough medicine like we used to get years ago? She later told me that he said to keep using the meds he gave me.

No he's not my usual doctor. My primary care doctor was booked for the week so they put me with someone else. But I've only seen my primary care doctor 3 times in the past year and a half. I don't go to the doctor enough to have any kind of a relationship with them and maybe that's the problem. Maybe they need to "know" you to listen to you as a patient and give you what you know works for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 07:14 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post
I was so congested they ordered a chest x ray when I got there because they thought I had bronchitis.

<snip>

And I never got *high* from cough meds either. I only felt tired and it relaxed my chest.
Opioids depress respiration. If you had that level of congestion that could well be why they didn't think something that would further interfere with your breathing would be a good idea.

If you felt relaxed and sleepy from your opioid cough medication, you were indeed feeling the psychoactive effects of the drug, simply at a non-recreational dose.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:17 PM

396 posts, read 421,519 times
Quote:
Opioids depress respiration. If you had that level of congestion that could well be why they didn't think something that would further interfere with your breathing would be a good idea.

If you felt relaxed and sleepy from your opioid cough medication, you were indeed feeling the psychoactive effects of the drug, simply at a non-recreational dose.
this may be true about not giving me cough meds but I did a quick reading online the next day and apparently this is what they do these days. If you are sick, congested, coughing, sinus infection, something that is NOT the flu, they give the combo of an inhaler, the perle pills and prednisolone.

That is what I don't care for. The doctor isn't treating you the patient. They don't care what works for you or what give you a bad reaction. They are treating the masses. I'd actually feel better if everyone on the health forum I read said that they got cough syrup. Then I'd feel like maybe my doctor was treating me the person. But no. They do this for everyone. Apparently you have to know your doctor pretty well to get cough syrup these days. I'll stick with nyquil.

I realize that cough syrup doesn't make me better. It just made me *feel* better and allowed me to sleep. Which sleep does allow you to heal. What is wrong with that?

Old 02-08-2018, 02:49 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
I am taking OTC meds.

I didn't ask for any medication at the doctor. I figured I'd try what he gave me. So no I didn't give him any impression. I was dull and lifeless when I was there. I hardly spoke at all because I was sick. Running a fever, coughing, feeling like garbage.

The next day I called to ask for something that was a syrup. I didn't request a specific drug. I just asked the nurse, can you ask the doctor if he can just give me old fashioned cough medicine like we used to get years ago? She later told me that he said to keep using the meds he gave me.

No he's not my usual doctor. My primary care doctor was booked for the week so they put me with someone else. But I've only seen my primary care doctor 3 times in the past year and a half. I don't go to the doctor enough to have any kind of a relationship with them and maybe that's the problem. Maybe they need to "know" you to listen to you as a patient and give you what you know works for you.
Maybe you saw a resident. Or a young doctor. That's what they do. They go through their memory Rolodex and only know the one answer because they don't have the life experience to use.

As I suspected, in my first post - this was not "your" doctor and you don't have a relationship with them.

Then again, FWIW, I haven't had to see a doctor 3 times in 20 years let alone in the past ONE year. After I figured out the causes of my "allergies/sinus infection" from chemicals. I don't even remember the last time I had a cold because I work in other people's houses so I am 100% never EVER touching my face, etc and if I'm in line in a store behind someone hacking I LEAVE (LOL)

The last time I "needed" a doctor was when I had a suspicion of Lyme, 1999 based on a bulls-eye symptom and titre. The antibiotic caused an adverse reaction which snowballed into having to switch antibiotics and two ear infections. I was out of work for an entire MONTH with those ears (I had to talk on the phone for work). So I wasn't even "sick" until I got "treatment".

All from a resident who didn't know what he was doing, filling in for my primary who I used to see for a physical and PAP.

Maybe you're getting sinus infections, from some type of allergy, untreated which escalated to bronchitis which I don't think I've had since ...well...ever!

Quote:
this may be true about not giving me cough meds but I did a quick reading online the next day and apparently this is what they do these days. If you are sick, congested, coughing, sinus infection, something that is NOT the flu, they give the combo of an inhaler, the perle pills and prednisolone.

That is what I don't care for. The doctor isn't treating you the patient. They don't care what works for you or what give you a bad reaction. They are treating the masses. I'd actually feel better if everyone on the health forum I read said that they got cough syrup. Then I'd feel like maybe my doctor was treating me the person. But no. They do this for everyone. Apparently you have to know your doctor pretty well to get cough syrup these days. I'll stick with nyquil.

I realize that cough syrup doesn't make me better. It just made me *feel* better and allowed me to sleep. Which sleep does allow you to heal. What is wrong with that?
OK you're not even right about that. They do NOT prescribe those things for a sinus infection. So you're just lumping everything together. If you have a TRUE serious sinus infection, they prescribe antibiotics. That's one of the things that WILL get worse once it reaches a certain point. Corticosteroid treatment cannot cure viral or bacterial sinusitis, but it can relieve the symptoms - which is very different if you CAN'T BREATHE from the lungs versus just having some nasal swelling. Before antibiotics, people would die from sinusitis, because it would go to the brain.

Well you're wanting doctors to treat everyone the SAME, too. By doing medicine YOUR way giving everyone some magic cough suppresent even if they believe in their PROFESSIONAL OPINION that it's not the right treatment.

And the reason I said you probably saw a resident NOT your REAL DOCTOR is because of the stupid answer they gave you "keep taking it and you'll get used to it".

That's what the resident told ME too and I said "you don't know what you're doing, you can't keep taking an antibiotic you're allergic to or causes extreme diarrhea are you trying to kill me?"

And when my doctor came back from his vacation he agreed. He said "NEVER keep taking an antibiotic that causes that adverse reaction."

Which I already knew.

Are you a parent? Seriously, all this stuff is very ROUTINE and always has been and my kid is now 35 years old but he had a history of allergy and bronchial so out of common sense you become sort of an expert and trial and error.

I also know because I found I had chemical sensitivities when I was younger and that I needed to stop cleaning with STRONG chemicals or my sinuses would literally rebel, cause serious infections which would then get worse. All from using bleach or whatnot. If I go to a store, or mall with obnoxious "fragrance" I LEAVE.

OR when some idiot insisted on wearing perfume next to me at work and if I didn't change my seat, I'd get a sinus episode that escalated. Just like my coworkers with asthma would have an asthma attack and need the ER! (stupid office permitting perfume)

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-08-2018 at 03:10 AM..

Old 02-08-2018, 06:34 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
I believe with all my heart that a patient should be treated as an individual. Not based on what the latest epidemic is.

So by denying a sick person medicine, we are catering to the lowest common denominator. So "other" people have a drug problem. Let's deny you the sick person medication. Makes no sense!

Now, if you want to not give out opiate meds at the free clinic, that's fine by me. But I'm paying good money each money for insurance I don't use. Look at my chart doc. How many times do I ever have you fill a prescription for me? That's right. Never.

I feel like right now if I go seeking another doctor, I'll look like a drug addict. And that is BS. Complete BS that I have to worry that I'll look like a drug addict because I want medication that I know works. I could tell this guy had in his head that these pills were what was best for me and he didn't care what I thought. My primary care doctor was booked so I'd never seen this doctor. But I'd only ever seen my primary care doctor 3 times anyway. So it's not like we're buds or anything.

I will dig my heels in and say I just don't buy that doctors are worried that a few days of cough meds are going to get people hooked. How can you abuse a few tablespoons of cough syrup? I think they have their new pills dujour that they are pushing and in the next few years it will be something else. Whoever makes these "perles" is sending some docs on golf vacations or something. All of a sudden we all need the Perles? Please.

I told my husband the only easy medication there is to get from a doctor are the ones you see commercials for! They never forget to ask me at the doctor if I feel depressed. I always tell them no. Let's not even get into how many adults and kids are hooked on anti depressants, anti anxiety meds, ritalin and sh*t like that. They'll likely be on that medication for the rest of their lives. Ugh the more I think about it, the madder I get.
I was prescribed those useless Perles about 15 years ago when I had a horrible, horrible dry cough..... to the point that I would cough so hard, I would vomit, and eventually cracked a rib....

The cracked rib was discovered in an x-ray a year or so later when I had slipped on some stairs and cracked another rib..... The doctor at the urgent care started asking me questions about being abused.... I told that I had never been hit by a man, but if it ever did happen, it would only happen once....

turns out, the likely culprit for the cough was the blood pressure medication I had been prescribed.....

Old 02-08-2018, 07:30 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
My grandson-in-law got the flu around Christmas time. The doctor prescribed Tamiflu and a codeine-based cough syrup.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:44 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Great example of how those who choose to abuse meds and other things can affect others in the negative. It's not just your life, addicts!

Sorry, OP. It's like with practically every thing else, the people who abuse systems/meds/selves ruin it for people who do and would not.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:49 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

As far a cough medicine; does anybody remember the old family doctors of the 1950's and before? Some of them dispensed their own pills and cough medicine. I remember two of them that had huge old dusty bottles of cough medicine and they would get out a new small bottle and funnel and fill their own prescriptions (they actually just gave us the medication without the prescription). Although my parents paid the bill; I think the doctor's visit and pills/cough medicine was less than our copay today at the pharmacist and that was without medical insurance back then!

I started a thread in the Baltimore forum about my pediatrician, Dr. G. Bowers Mansdorfer, who prescribed a cough remedy that was known as "Mansdorfer Mixture" to every pharmacist in Baltimore. It was a straw-colored liquid with a layer of white at the bottom. One had to shake it thoroughly before administering. It was non-narcotic, and I hated the taste of it, but my parents said that it was by far the best cough medicine available.

I'm trying to find out just what the mixture was comprised of, and if any local pharmacies can still compound it.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:48 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I started a thread in the Baltimore forum about my pediatrician, Dr. G. Bowers Mansdorfer, who prescribed a cough remedy that was known as "Mansdorfer Mixture" to every pharmacist in Baltimore. It was a straw-colored liquid with a layer of white at the bottom. One had to shake it thoroughly before administering. It was non-narcotic, and I hated the taste of it, but my parents said that it was by far the best cough medicine available.

I'm trying to find out just what the mixture was comprised of, and if any local pharmacies can still compound it.
Do pharmacies still compound? I think the mortise and pestles are for show now days; unless I am missing something?

The one thing Google is not good at is looking back in time at what the different elixirs were made of. Did you find any biography of your doctor?

Old 02-08-2018, 11:10 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Quote:
Is there some reason you can't just take OTC NyQuil?

I don't think the level of drama here - about a cough! - is likely to help give your doc the impression that prescribing you serious drugs is a great idea.
If you haven't had bronchitis, where you do a double cough every two minutes, 24 hours a day, occasionally becoming a spastic cough to the point of making you vomit, then you really don't know what the hell you're talking about, do you?

I have bronchitis every winter. Right now I have a pulled muscle in my abdomen from this year's round. I have a co-worker who just had a hernia surgery. How do you think my bronchitis would work out if I had just had hernia surgery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness