Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 05:37 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I am not sure that the memory loss with Statins leads to dementia / alzheimers only because I believe those are more complicated but I am as sure as I can be believe it involves a milder form of memory loss. This is based on my interactions with many people taking statins vrs people who are not in the workplace. I suspect that the issue is cholesterol. Your mind needs cholesterol...

I don't see how you can take any "study" about statins seriously. Given the cash cow of these drugs and the fact that so many people are in a position to be angry if it turns out they aren't good for you... every incentive is there to "make facts up" so the result makes people happy.
1. The brain absolutely needs cholesterol, the brain also produces its own cholesterol. The brain is separated from the rest of the body by the blood brain barrier. Cholesterol produced in the liver and found in the bloodstream can't get to the brain.....

For the most part neither can most medications, though some fat soluble medications can cross the barrier....

People who have this idea that a low total cholesterol level are "harming their brains" don't understand how the blood brain barrier functions...

2. Do you ask everyone you work with if they are on a statin? How else would you know about your interactions with co workers vis a vis your statement " interactions with many people taking statins vs people who are not in the workplace"

I mean, how exactly would you know this??

Old 03-04-2018, 06:12 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,002,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
1. The brain absolutely needs cholesterol, the brain also produces its own cholesterol. The brain is separated from the rest of the body by the blood brain barrier. Cholesterol produced in the liver and found in the bloodstream can't get to the brain.....

For the most part neither can most medications, though some fat soluble medications can cross the barrier....

People who have this idea that a low total cholesterol level are "harming their brains" don't understand how the blood brain barrier functions...

2. Do you ask everyone you work with if they are on a statin? How else would you know about your interactions with co workers vis a vis your statement " interactions with many people taking statins vs people who are not in the workplace"

I mean, how exactly would you know this??
Isn't it a moot point if statins reduce cholesterol production everywhere, rather than the liver? I have no idea if statins do that.

I don't mean to nitpick, but it appears you may be wrong according to the studies here: https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2010/...or-cholestero/

Doesn't seem to be absolute proof, but it supports the idea that cholesterol can one way or another find its way across the BBB.

I don't have access to these studies, but I've respected Masterjohn for a while, due to his research diligence. It appears the BBB (along with the gut barrier) may be more adaptable when we think.

Thanks for the info, though. I had no idea the brain could produce its own cholesterol!

Old 03-04-2018, 06:33 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Haksel257

I believe it was thru the weston a price foundation that I first read of Masterjohn's works. WAP Foundation has done years of work on oils.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:52 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Bluedevilz, I would rep you every time you post if I could! Or course Alzheimer's was around for thousands of years, we just didn't call it that. I would not want to go back to my parent's days when there was no vaccination against polio, diphtheria, whooping cough, Hep A, Hep B, measles, etc. That would be foolish indeed.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:41 AM

383 posts, read 429,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
What else is the doctor going to say? A friend who was on them for about 20 yrs and every time she mentioned to her doctor about issues she had and could it be the statins, he would put more fear in her about cholesterol. She was not on a computer so didn't do all the work many of us do. She believed in doctors. How she feels today, I think she has some doubts...nothing like me though.
Although I was only a caregiver, and although the person I have in mind on this subject had a host of other psychological issues, I know statins hastened dementia/depression/anhedonia/total loss of interest in life.

I was actually fired by a doctor for not taking three different forms of statins, after I explained to her two very bad reactions (when I was in my early 40's). This female physician is a menace to society in my opinion.

I don't doubt a single word of what you've posted and what I've read about the big bucks involved in doctors being statin-pushers. Not a word.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
All I can say FOR SURE is my parents generation did NOT take statins, they didn't exist, and I don't know of alzheimers in these people I knew. My folks lived into 90's, ate every thing in their lives and had their minds at their ends.

Sounds like my parents who took very little in the way of prescribed medication and lived till they were 90.
While i would gladly give up all the medications i take every day i had a stroke last year doctors said contributing factors were high blood pressure,uncontrolled diabetes and high cholesterol ,so now i'm prescribed all this medications and am not going to risk another stroke by giving up the cholesterol/blood pressure and insulin and risk another stroke.

You are right its a complex issue.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:52 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sounds like my parents who took very little in the way of prescribed medication and lived till they were 90.
While i would gladly give up all the medications i take every day i had a stroke last year doctors said contributing factors were high blood pressure,uncontrolled diabetes and high cholesterol ,so now i'm prescribed all this medications and am not going to risk another stroke by giving up the cholesterol/blood pressure and insulin and risk another stroke.

Yes...even if memory loss is a factor with statins, the benefit of protection from high cholesterol issues far outweighs memory losses...I'm not giving up my statins.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplecow View Post
Although I was only a caregiver, and although the person I have in mind on this subject had a host of other psychological issues, I know statins hastened dementia/depression/anhedonia/total loss of interest in life.

I was actually fired by a doctor for not taking three different forms of statins, after I explained to her two very bad reactions (when I was in my early 40's). This female physician is a menace to society in my opinion.

I don't doubt a single word of what you've posted and what I've read about the big bucks involved in doctors being statin-pushers. Not a word.
It's truly astounding how pharma drugs rule as they do. I venture into the caregiving group and wouldn't be surprised at all if so many of those patients had been taking statins for years and may still be. I mention to the caregivers "take care of your minds" as you are going thru this with loved ones.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-05-2018 at 10:32 AM..

Old 03-05-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Yes...even if memory loss is a factor with statins, the benefit of protection from high cholesterol issues far outweighs memory losses...I'm not giving up my statins.
Well, again on the cholesterol fear. The great fear of the 21st century. I just posted a couple links on low cholesterol and depression. GBH: Haven't you been posting on this issue in another area.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

My good friend who is very alternative and taught me so much, ended up with afib over a year ago and now the doctors have the stroke fear in her mind. So now she's on a group of heart meds including blood pressure and all t he years I've known her she never had high BP. Maybe one mistake she made was NOT taking enough magnesium for years as this deficiency is so discussed with the afib.

And we know it will never change but just too too bad that MD's won't do more to work with prevention before the drugs have to be given, but I must be a dreamer and my dreams are not about money.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-05-2018 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness