Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 07:31 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times

Advertisements

My cardiologist told me it's totally fine to have wine once a day. These reports change constantly, I'm not going to worry about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 07:45 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Yawn - so many BS "studies" out there...... I will continue to eat/drink/do what I want - all within moderation. Never cared about the "quantity" of years. Quality is much more important to me.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:08 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, it wasn't the spinach that finally got Popeye but the tops of the cans that he gobbled down right along with the spinach.
Popeye's medical diagnosis...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3pWZKuv8AY

Old 05-11-2018, 08:21 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Be self-aware. See what works for you. No study will show 100% results and you might be in the minority.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:08 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Rice contains arsenic
Too many tomatoes and oranges causes acid reflux
Soy inhibits iron absorption
Spinach can cause kidney stones (isn't this what finally did in Popeye?)

What IS a person to do....

Eat air .... oh wait, that's bad too.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:49 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Genetics play a role. Ive known people who smoked, drank heavily and worse and lived a full life. Im waiting for someone to explain how Keith Richards is still alive and playing shows for example. You have the reverse often where a healthy person free of bad habits dies in middle age suddenly or after an extended illness like cancer.

Maybe it's just luck of the draw also. I don't think a person should live a rough lifestyle like above but the reverse circumstances boggle my mind.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:24 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times
And we have this https://www.today.com/health/100-yea...ry-day-t124620 Much depends on your genes and moderation. We have all heard of vegetarian runners dying of heart attacks at 45 years old and people who eat whatever, drink whatever, maybe overweight never exercise who are living into their 90's healthy.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:28 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Genetics play a role. Ive known people who smoked, drank heavily and worse and lived a full life.
Proof is my cousin, he is 70, no significant health issues, has been smoking daily since age 18, drinks a can or two of coke/sprite a day (sugared version not diet), has eggs with sausages, ham etc. fried in lard (for extra zazz) for breakfast on a daily basis and all sorts of other crap for lunch and dinner. Does not exercise very much and isn't outright obese but definitely overweight. No diabetes or heart issues genetically in his family.

First off, how is this man even alive? And second, how does he not have significant health issues? His dad died at 93 so my guess is that perhaps he will lose 6-7 years off that and die at 85-87.. is that a good compromise to have lived such a rich and enjoyable life?

His take on it is that he made it to 70 with no issues living a fabulous life on his terms and has no regrets, he says what he has got is good enough for him. Alternatively some other relatives say he is foolish because he could get a stroke at any moment become disabled and suffer so he is tempting fate with this type of lifestyle.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:07 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Proof is my cousin, he is 70, no significant health issues, has been smoking daily since age 18, drinks a can or two of coke/sprite a day (sugared version not diet), has eggs with sausages, ham etc. fried in lard (for extra zazz) for breakfast on a daily basis and all sorts of other crap for lunch and dinner. Does not exercise very much and isn't outright obese but definitely overweight. No diabetes or heart issues genetically in his family.

First off, how is this man even alive? And second, how does he not have significant health issues? His dad died at 93 so my guess is that perhaps he will lose 6-7 years off that and die at 85-87.. is that a good compromise to have lived such a rich and enjoyable life?

His take on it is that he made it to 70 with no issues living a fabulous life on his terms and has no regrets, he says what he has got is good enough for him. Alternatively some other relatives say he is foolish because he could get a stroke at any moment become disabled and suffer so he is tempting fate with this type of lifestyle.

He is definitely the exception im referring to. If he lives to mid 80's and goes out happy its well worth it all I think. We tempt fate daily in general to some degree, i have seen lives change in an instant from accidents and being victims of crimes also.

I was like your cousin actually. I smoked for years until quitting 5 years ago, and draining a 6 pack after work was a regular thing for me also. (Sometimes Jack Daniels followed also.) I now rarely drink and exercise several times a week. I feel good but wonder if it will impact my future too. What if the outcome is the same? I have more energy and am in better shape to live life and deal with its challenges and that's what I like about living healthier in my view.

Life is sooo unpredictable though.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:32 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,415,174 times
Quote:
Just 1 drink reduces lifespan
So, proven that for every hour that you walk (Fast and not the walk with the Pooch), you INCREASE your Life Span by :30 minutes..

I walk NEVER under 2 hrs a day, 98% of every month......I guess a Metro Bus will have to run me over to die.......My 1 or 2 glasses of wine a Day, certainly get more than covered with all the walk I do...Therefore getting runned over or killed in Detroit while on vacation... and some punk wants to steal my iPhone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness