Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 08:01 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/story/s/w...ife-expectancy

So the previous advice was that a drink or two a day actually increased lifespan and prevented artherosclerosis and heart attacks. Now this new report contradicts that. No wonder people are confused.. we are constantly subject to confusing and contradictory information from the medical community.
Yikes, we better get this information out to those living to ripe old ages in the Mediterranean countries where two a day is part of the general culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 08:03 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yikes, we better get this information out to those living to ripe old ages in the Mediterranean countries where two a day is part of the general culture.
You think the rest of their diet/lifestyle may offset the alcohol part? And who's to say they wouldn't live even LONGER without the booze?

Old 05-12-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
I do not drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes. I don’t eat gluten, red meat, sugar, dairy, or fried food.
I drink daily green smoothies (that is recent), eat plenty of seafood, legumes, fruits and vegetables, and have done so for years. Last month, during a routine colonoscopy, doctor removed a cancerous polyp. They weren’t sure if they got it all and MRI revealed at least stage 1. So I recently had 12 inches of my rectum/colon removed. It all turned out well thankfully but colon cancer is the last diagnosis I ever expected to hear.
10-15% of colon cancer is related to genetics.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:15 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You think the rest of their diet/lifestyle may offset the alcohol part? And who's to say they wouldn't live even LONGER without the booze?
The same diet and lifestyle is achievable here. In terms of minus the booze, perhaps if something else would take the place such as stress reduction practices seen in East/Southeast Asian cultures such as meditation and Tai-Chi. It's been proven pretty consistently that moderate consumption of alcohol reduces stress and as pointed out we tend to be prone to disease via genetics versus lifestyle components (other than tobacco products of course).

Old 05-12-2018, 08:57 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The longest lived people on the planet are the Singaporeans, Japanese, and Spanish and they are all drinking cultures so I'm skeptical of this claim of the thread. I posted about my Uncle who was a severe alcoholic for 60 years but outlived his sister (my Mom) who was a teetotaler.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:39 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Boy, I know some alchoholics that would have lived to 150! Since they lived into their late 80s despite their lifelong drinking.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The longest lived people on the planet are the Singaporeans, Japanese, and Spanish and they are all drinking cultures so I'm skeptical of this claim of the thread. I posted about my Uncle who was a severe alcoholic for 60 years but outlived his sister (my Mom) who was a teetotaler.
Again, yes, but again, look at the rest of their eating habits.

We would have to emulate their food choices, as well, to justify using them as an example (which is doable, but pretty much no one does it).

Old 05-12-2018, 11:45 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Me thinks a lot of folks like their booze so they’re quick to throw info like this is in the “crazy talk...we need more studies” pile.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:41 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Did they show it to you? Did you demand to see the laboratory slide that demonstrated, without a shadow of a doubt that this polyp was cancerous?

In Missouri, you don't need a license to work in a medical laboratory. You don't even need any medical/scientific/biological experience. All you need is a pulse. I cannot even begin to imagine how many UNNECESSARY medical procedures are conducted on patients due to a misdiagnosis resulting from a laboratory employee who didn't have a single clue what they were doing.

I shudder to think how many die because of it.

Not to change the subject *ahem*, I eat a horrific diet and am as healthy as a horse. I drink plenty too. People are just different and react differently to things. Nobody knows, nobody really knows.
The person who actually looks at the "laboratory slide" is the pathologist, who is an M.D. He definitely has "medical/scientific/biological experience".

How would the average layman know what he was looking at on a "slide"?

Old 05-12-2018, 01:13 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Boy, I know some alchoholics that would have lived to 150! Since they lived into their late 80s despite their lifelong drinking.
It seems as if thier livers hold up, they can go on for a long time. Once the liver gets too wrecked, forget it. Fortunately the liver has a lot of regenerative abilites.

Bassist Duff McCagen is an example. The mans pancreas EXPLODED from boozing and he still lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness