Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 11:34 PM

272 posts, read 218,113 times

Advertisements

For example, in Europe when getting a colonoscopy they don't knock you out, hell you don't even wear a gown, you do most everything without sedation and fully nude everywhere else. Only Americans are wimps and prudes about these kinds of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 11:49 PM

129 posts, read 101,856 times
Your statement begs the question as to what percentage of people who should get a colonoscopy get it due to the way it is done? Then there is the issue of making smart choices. Should I get a tooth drilled without Lidocaine to prove I am not a wimp, or is it more practical and easier to have my mouth numbed?

There is also an issue that may be part of the reason. Perhaps we have more people aware of the risks involved in "common" procedures. Look them up because they do exist and people do end up with perforated colons and it is easier when a patient is sedated when something goes wrong that will require surgery.

I think that someone who choses not to have pain is smart, not a wimp. I think you have it the other way around. The reason for the way it is done where you are is because we have better medical care here that pays for us to be comfortable during invasive medical procedures. I am sure if it costs nothing to be knocked out, a lot more people where you life would chose it. It does not cost me a penny so wy not.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:04 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
It's done in the USA properly for safety and sanitary reasons.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:16 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
We're a nation of prudes, but it's not just the patients. The doctors here are more comfortable with patients sedated and covered up for procedures like that.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:38 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
For example, in Europe when getting a colonoscopy they don't knock you out, hell you don't even wear a gown, you do most everything without sedation and fully nude everywhere else. Only Americans are wimps and prudes about these kinds of things.
That has not been my experience in in twenty years of living in Europe.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Don't get me started on the differences between health care in Europe (vast differences throughout that entire region by the way - just like in the states) and health care in the US. I lived in Europe for several years and used the local health care system. Without slamming anyone or anything, and knowing that I may be many things but "wimp" is not one of them, let's just say that in spite of our flaws, I prefer American health care.

There is not any one particular method or standard throughout Europe by the way - it varies from country to country. But considering that colorectal cancer is the second most common malignant disease in Europe, I'd say they need screening! And it's not even consistent in practice across Europe.

For instance, the deep sedation practice is more common in France than in the US. Rates for deep sedation were 53 percent of patients in the US and 76 percent of patients in France. Japan had the highest rate of zero sedation (not Europe) at 58 percent of patients - which by the way means that 42% of Japanese patients had some sedation. Conscious yet sedated was the most common form of practice in Germany and the UK (86 and 76 percent of patients respectively). European countries had higher percentages of complications than the US - in fact, at least double the percentage of complications. The US also has the highest rate of complete colonoscopies. The US and Japan have the lowest rates of inconclusive results (1 percent in both countries, in spite of the big differences in protocol). Also the US has the lowest rate by far of second colonoscopies due to the first one being incomplete or inconclusive, because the rate of biopsy and removal of potentially problematic polyps is highest in the US.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...51865417300236

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 08-25-2018 at 06:59 AM..

Old 08-25-2018, 01:48 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Don't get me started on the differences between health care in Europe (vast differences throughout that entire region by the way - just like in the states) and health care in the US. European countries had higher percentages of complications than the US - in fact, at least double the percentage of complications. The US also has the highest rate of complete colonoscopies. The US and Japan have the lowest rates of inconclusive results (1 percent in both countries, in spite of the big differences in protocol). Also the US has the lowest rate by far of second colonoscopies due to the first one being incomplete or inconclusive, because the rate of biopsy and removal of potentially problematic polyps is highest in the US.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...51865417300236
OK, so I guess people in Europe had better not be wimps. Not only do they have to go through those less-than-pleasant procedures multiple times to be accurately assessed, they have a better chance that those procedures result in complications or their diagnoses are botched. Got it!

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-25-2018 at 02:43 PM..

Old 08-25-2018, 02:21 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
"Why aren't all American medical procedures done the same as in other countries?"

There, I fixed your mean-spirited title for you. But to answer your question, people in different countries have different ways of doing things, so there ya go.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:55 PM

924 posts, read 1,677,842 times
Quote:
Why would you need to be nude for a colonoscopy?

Old 08-25-2018, 03:40 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Should Americans also get a root canal without local anesthetics? How about heart surgery?

America, who saved the world from disaster during WW1, WW2, and the Cold War is a bunch of wimps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness