Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2018, 10:24 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Generally speaking, the anesthesia used in Western Europe is far less dangerous than in the US.
What do they use that is different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 10:24 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
They don't know any better. You don't miss what you never had. Twenty years ago no one "needed" a cell phone, try to convince people now that they don't need a cell phone. Good luck with that.

It is like the old saying, "work smart not hard".

As civilization advances we find better ways to do things, like using AC in the summertime even though we could do without, wearing shoes to protect our feet even though we could do without or using a snowblower instead of a shovel.

Sure, you can suffer needlessly and do things the hard way, but does that really mean someone is better than or smarter than?......or just the opposite?

IMO, it is better to have a doctor concentrating 100% on the job at hand without the added worry of patient discomfort.

Opinions are interesting....keep thinking!
There is some evidence that when a patient is unsedated doctors take more time and there is a lower rate of bowel perforations rather than going at a faster rate when sedated since the patient certainly won't do any complaining!

Old 08-28-2018, 10:25 AM

623 posts, read 312,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
IMO, it is better to have a doctor concentrating 100% on the job at hand without the added worry of patient discomfort.
I am not so sure that that is always the best medical practice. Patient discomfort can often be useful information. It seems to me at least possible that someone who sticks something up your *** with no concern about how it feels is more likely to injure you than someone who is concerned. Comments from those with experience that qualifies them to comment are invited. Other comments will probably also be read.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:27 AM

623 posts, read 312,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Opinions are interesting....keep thinking!
There is some evidence that when a patient is unsedated doctors take more time and there is a lower rate of bowel perforations rather than going at a faster rate when sedated since the patient certainly won't do any complaining!
Great minds think alike.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:38 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,682,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
For example, in Europe when getting a colonoscopy they don't knock you out, hell you don't even wear a gown, you do most everything without sedation and fully nude everywhere else. Only Americans are wimps and prudes about these kinds of things.
I don't know about you, man, but I'm not interested in getting tubes shoved down my esophagus AND up my butt (and I usually get the two procedures at the same session). I don't need to prove anything by enduring horrific PAIN when they pump the air into your guts, or gag when the tube gets inserted down my throat. (Not all American doctors "knock out" their patients for this, though.)

If Europeans want to endure the agony then go right on ahead.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:53 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I don't know about you, man, but I'm not interested in getting tubes shoved down my esophagus AND up my butt (and I usually get the two procedures at the same session). I don't need to prove anything by enduring horrific PAIN when they pump the air into your guts, or gag when the tube gets inserted down my throat. (Not all American doctors "knock out" their patients for this, though.)

If Europeans want to endure the agony then go right on ahead.
Sure, for an endoscopy you can't be gagging so that has different issues.

For a colonoscopy they usually don't desufflate the gas they pump in (but they COULD, so why not?) so after the sedation wears off you still have to deal with the pressure until you get rid of the gas. Is it the pumping in of the gas or being distended that hurts? The "being distended" hurts after, right?

Everybody might as well be honest - if you've not had a colonoscopy unsedated you don't really know what it would feel like but it sure sounds bad. So you want sedation basically because YOU WANT IT. No reason to rationalize it. Even if it was painless from doing a local, you'd still want to be sedated.

You don't want to be called a "wimp" for being sedated? Well I don't want people thinking I'm only doing it unsedated to "prove something". How childish is that?

Old 08-28-2018, 12:28 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Sure, for an endoscopy you can't be gagging so that has different issues.

For a colonoscopy they usually don't desufflate the gas they pump in (but they COULD, so why not?) so after the sedation wears off you still have to deal with the pressure until you get rid of the gas. Is it the pumping in of the gas or being distended that hurts? The "being distended" hurts after, right?

Everybody might as well be honest - if you've not had a colonoscopy unsedated you don't really know what it would feel like but it sure sounds bad. So you want sedation basically because YOU WANT IT. No reason to rationalize it. Even if it was painless from doing a local, you'd still want to be sedated.

You don't want to be called a "wimp" for being sedated? Well I don't want people thinking I'm only doing it unsedated to "prove something". How childish is that?

I had a colonoscopy without being sedated....felt a few very strong pains but they were brief. Not recommended for those who are squeamish or frightened.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:37 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,039 times
In my country, the Netherlands, a lot of woman give birth without anesthesia, and also at home with only a midwife to help. Also, i heard often, in the NL giving birth / being pregnant is not seen as a medical condition.

It's only since the past decade or so that more woman want pain relief while giving birth.

Also, a lot of dentists don't give anesthesia. Only if you specifically ask for it, and then chances are you'll be laughed at (by the dentist)

Old 08-28-2018, 01:00 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
In my country, the Netherlands, a lot of woman give birth without anesthesia, and also at home with only a midwife to help. Also, i heard often, in the NL giving birth / being pregnant is not seen as a medical condition.

It's only since the past decade or so that more woman want pain relief while giving birth.

Also, a lot of dentists don't give anesthesia. Only if you specifically ask for it, and then chances are you'll be laughed at (by the dentist)

Whaaa???

( My dentist gives me triple shot to keep me in the chair - he knows better. )

Last edited by erasure; 08-28-2018 at 01:11 PM..

Old 08-28-2018, 01:24 PM

651 posts, read 416,175 times
Default Dentists

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
The same one can say about the territory of the former USSR. The world is globalized and the doctors are similar everything. They are taught by professors who visit the same symposiums and read the same magazines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness