Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 09:24 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,753,835 times

Advertisements

Low carving seems to do away with my seasonal allergies too. But beware, if you lose too much weight to soon, low carving, you could get ketone rash.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:45 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
I haven't read all responses but my other half had it bad. He had gained weight, had sleep apnea.
We went on the diet to reverse the effects of diabetes. He's genetically predisposed. W stayed on it for 3 weeks. He lost 12 pounds - the fat melted off. But thebest part was his acid reflux was gone. Even though we ate some fairly spicy food on the diet.Dr. Barnard, I think wrote the book.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:59 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Low carving seems to do away with my seasonal allergies too. But beware, if you lose too much weight to soon, low carving, you could get ketone rash.
Are you talking about low carbs?

Old 12-07-2018, 10:58 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,753,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Are you talking about low carbs?
Low carbs yes, somehow auto correct made it low carving. Lol.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:29 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
The typical trigger for most with GERD it seems is acidic or spicy ingredients (especially at night) and eliminating those triggers generally handles it. GERD also can also cause otherwise somewhat serious issues such as bronchitis when suffering from allergies or a cold, due to the excess mucus production in the esophagus that takes place to neutralize stomach acids.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:31 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,427,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
I’m 34 years old. I never had this in my life but only recently these past 2 months I’ve been getting acid reflux/heart burn episodes. I don’t know why. Maybe is my diet but I never had this before. I recognize all the symptoms of pressure below chest, funny taste in the back of your throat, belching, nausea, etc. antiaxids don’t make it better at all. Lately I was eating lots of cereal bars like many times a day but I don’t think that was the problem. I was also using benadryl to sleep for a few days and acid reflux happened right after thay and turns out is a side effect of benadryl

But this is really annoying I never had this before. I even went to the doc and he gave some pills which I took and they help a little but of course have side effects
This is what I started based on some research

Melatonin 1 or 2 3mg 30 mins before bed (will help the sleep as well)
DGL licorice (haven't started this yet as it is arriving Sunday) 2 tablets 20 mins before a meal
An enzyme tablet 1 or 2 tablets before a meal
A probiotic 1 a day
Vitamin B-12
Vitamin C

Remain on this for 8 weeks

For some people after 8 weeks this will cure it, for some it comes back and you need to do it again for others they need to always take these supplements and for a smaller number they don't work at all.

I started all but the DGL yesterday and today is the first time since Thanksgiving I feel a little better. It is said it takes at least 3 days for symptoms to go away and not to stop taking them just because you feel better, go the full 8 weeks.

Avoid alcohol and coffee or limit it at least. Stay away from tomato based products, cereal bars (yes they are an issue) and other processed foods. You might be able to go back to them, you just need to try them and see if there is a flare up.

For flare ups try baking soda and water (much like alka seltzer but without all the other crap that is harmful).

Here is a study done on supplements vs. omeprazole that recommends melatonin, l-tryptophan, vitamin B6, folic acid, vitamin B12, methionine and betaine would help patients with GERD https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16948779. The melatonin I purchased contains B6. I don't take the l-tryptophan, methionine (which is in fish and meat) or betaine.

Last edited by NorthofHere; 12-08-2018 at 10:48 AM..

Old 12-08-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
This is what I started based on some research

Melatonin 1 or 2 3mg 30 mins before bed (will help the sleep as well)
DGL licorice (haven't started this yet as it is arriving Sunday) 2 tablets 20 mins before a meal
An enzyme tablet 1 or 2 tablets before a meal
A probiotic 1 a day

Remain on this for 8 weeks

For some people after 8 weeks this will cure it, for some it comes back and you need to do it again for others they need to always take these supplements and for a smaller number they don't work at all.

I started all but the DGL yesterday and today is the first time since Thanksgiving I feel a little better. It is said it takes at least 3 days for symptoms to go away and not to stop taking them just because you feel better, go the full 8 weeks.

Avoid alcohol and coffee or limit it at least. Stay away from tomato based products, cereal bars (yes they are an issue) and other processed foods. You might be able to go back to them, you just need to try them and see if there is a flare up.

For flare ups try baking soda and water (much like alka seltzer but without all the other crap that is harmful).
I like DGL and have been taking it for some time but off it for a while since the rehabs but back on and I make sure I get my DGL with Xylitol sweetener.

As for Melatonin I take mine 2 hrs before hitting the pillow, gets the body ready for sleep. Just my 2cents on these two.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
I have something my doctor gave me but I don’t remember the name, will confirm later but do you experience any side effects from this?
Prilosec is similar to what a doctor will give you. I was prescribed Omeprazole which worked for a while now it doesn't work at all. Take what your doctor gave you for now, don't add the prilosec. See my other post about more natural methods and if you don't feel right about taking them by all means talk with your doctor and see what he or she has to say. Dr. Oz had these on his show and normally I ignore Dr. Oz's opinions but on further research I found some credible research that it does help, especially the melatonin which reduces stress (a gerd issue), reduce inflamation and protects the lining of the esophogas. It supposedly also helps strength the sphincter muscle.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I like DGL and have been taking it for some time but off it for a while since the rehabs but back on and I make sure I get my DGL with Xylitol sweetener.

As for Melatonin I take mine 2 hrs before hitting the pillow, gets the body ready for sleep. Just my 2cents on these two.
Yeah it doesn't matter when you take it before bed, just don't take it in the morning ;-)

Old 12-08-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Yeah it doesn't matter when you take it before bed, just don't take it in the morning ;-)
I think it does matter some, as it gets our body ready for sleep. I read about this a while ago. 1mg does it for me with my Inositol and typtophan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness