Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 09:04 PM

51,099 posts, read 36,804,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
So if sperm producers shouldn't smoke it, no one else should be allowed to smoke it? hoo boy.

Clue for you - plenty of men are not interested in producing sperm. And of course, many people are simply not born to be sperm producers.

You say you are concerned about sperm, but I'd be willing to bet you still eat bacon and watch TV. https://www.yourtango.com/2013173546...is-sperm-count
I believe poster was talking more along the lines of ability to get/keep an erection, and/or ability to climax. Neither of which are known side effects. I will say my bf prefers not to smoke beforehand while I love smoking first, but he doesn’t have any issues in those areas. If he ever does it’s far more likely to be from cigarettes than marijuana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 09:12 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,812,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I believe poster was talking more along the lines of ability to get/keep an erection, and/or ability to climax. Neither of which are known side effects. I will say my bf prefers not to smoke beforehand while I love smoking first, but he doesn’t have any issues in those areas. If he ever does it’s far more likely to be from cigarettes than marijuana.
Possibly.

Like you I have never noticed a lack in either interest or performance from men who smoke pot.

Men with beer bellies, however...

Old 02-11-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Possibly.

Like you I have never noticed a lack in either interest or performance from men who smoke pot.

Men with beer bellies, however...
Not just the bellies...I’ve come out of the bathroom a few times in my life after being out drinking with a boyfriend, to find the guy who was hot and heavy 5 minutes ago asleep and snoring! Or awake and unable to perform.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:24 AM

21,605 posts, read 8,774,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Don’t discount alcohol quite so quickly. I work in skilled nursing home rehab, and we have at any given time several men who are there due to liver disease from drinking. Most of them are in their 60s. One of my best friends passed away from liver cancer three years ago. He was not a hard liquor drinker, he was one of those guys who came home from work and had four or five beers over the course of a night. Even worse are the lifelong alcoholics, with wet brain. They are often as impaired at 60 as a 90-year-old with late stage Alzheimer’s.

Opioids get more attention because many kids die. But in terms of numbers, many many more people die from alcohol than opioids. It’s just not instant it takes decades but they die nonetheless. Not before costing taxpayers big bucks for their treatment though.

I to find cigarettes the hardest thing to quit. I have stopped smoking pot multiple times when I was getting ready to look for a new job. I wish that I could just stop smoking cigarettes for two months and be fine with it. It is the only substance I have never been successful at controlling.
No, ocnjgirl I would never discount alcohol. The only reason I didn't mention alcohol in my post is that I think most people already know how it can destroy lives. My only sibling, a brother, was like your friend. He was a beer-a-holic who died at 45 from cirrhosis of the liver. Watching him die was the worst thing I've ever had to witness. It's been over 20 years, but I still miss him so much.

Ocnjgirl, please don't give up trying to kick cigarettes. It was a very tough struggle for me and took about a year before I was completely over it, but that was 37 years ago, and I can't even imagine looking at a cigarette again. Once you get that monkey off your back, you will never look back.

Cold turkey didn't work for me because it was too traumatic. I used a tapering method that allows you to continue smoking, but with restrictions that get more stringent as you go along. Before I'd even finished the three-week program I was ready to quit. I hope you find a way to quit that works for you.

One thing that helped me a lot was to imagine that the craving, which felt like a itching sensation in my lungs, was just a sign that my lungs were healing themselves, just like your skin itches while a cut or burn is healing. You shouldn't give in and scratch the itch it because that just makes it worse. And if you give in to the craving, the relief may last all of 15 or 20 minutes, and then you'll want another cigarette and you'll end up having to start the withdrawal process and go through that agony all over again.

Cinnamon gum and tea helped because it has a "bite" that is similar to the taste of cigarettes. I also tried taking long, deep breaths when I wanted a cigarette. You would be surprised how much that helps calm the craving.

[Edited to add] Before some wise guy says, "You quit smoking cigarettes, but you think smoking pot is OK?" No. I don't smoke it. I use edibles such as tinctures, gummis and capsules, and occasionally I vape. Having these options available is just one more reason that legal cannabis is a good thing.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 02-12-2019 at 01:07 AM..

Old 02-12-2019, 01:57 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,289,949 times
Weed does not cause schizophrenia.

Yes it does!

No, it doesn’t!

Yes it does!

No it doesn’t!

Ok, I’m done.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
No, ocnjgirl I would never discount alcohol. The only reason I didn't mention alcohol in my post is that I think most people already know how it can destroy lives. My only sibling, a brother, was like your friend. He was a beer-a-holic who died at 45 from cirrhosis of the liver. Watching him die was the worst thing I've ever had to witness. It's been over 20 years, but I still miss him so much.

Ocnjgirl, please don't give up trying to kick cigarettes. It was a very tough struggle for me and took about a year before I was completely over it, but that was 37 years ago, and I can't even imagine looking at a cigarette again. Once you get that monkey off your back, you will never look back.

Cold turkey didn't work for me because it was too traumatic. I used a tapering method that allows you to continue smoking, but with restrictions that get more stringent as you go along. Before I'd even finished the three-week program I was ready to quit. I hope you find a way to quit that works for you.

One thing that helped me a lot was to imagine that the craving, which felt like a itching sensation in my lungs, was just a sign that my lungs were healing themselves, just like your skin itches while a cut or burn is healing. You shouldn't give in and scratch the itch it because that just makes it worse. And if you give in to the craving, the relief may last all of 15 or 20 minutes, and then you'll want another cigarette and you'll end up having to start the withdrawal process and go through that agony all over again.

Cinnamon gum and tea helped because it has a "bite" that is similar to the taste of cigarettes. I also tried taking long, deep breaths when I wanted a cigarette. You would be surprised how much that helps calm the craving.

[Edited to add] Before some wise guy says, "You quit smoking cigarettes, but you think smoking pot is OK?" No. I don't smoke it. I use edibles such as tinctures, gummis and capsules, and occasionally I vape. Having these options available is just one more reason that legal cannabis is a good thing.
Thanks! I quit recently for several months. That lasted till we went to a football party and drank, among many friends who smoke. I was already dissapointed as even after months the cravings were still strong.Now I am trying I think a method that might be similar to yours, where I detach the cigarettes from associated activities, like drinking coffee (Smoke Enders group started this decades ago) The car is the hardest as I have a 45 minute commute! Chantix helps, but as soon as I stop the Chantix the cravings come back. Thanks for the encouragement!

Old 02-12-2019, 08:44 AM

35,169 posts, read 31,490,161 times
To me, the only real problem with pot is that many people are still smoking it. Smoking anything isn't healthy. There are many safer ways to get the THC/other benefits without the actual act of smoking.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:16 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,323,868 times
I don't believe the "speculation" about marijuana dangers is correct...nor is it science.
I DO believe that the many fine medicinal and calming effects of marijuana ARE proven science.

I believe that in all instances of violence (marijuana-psychosis-violence )after marijuana use, it's the alcohol that was consumed with it that's the cause of said violence.

My sister worked with violent people in a gov home, and marijuana pills (the synthetic ones) were often given to patients experiencing violent episodes to CALM them down, and put them at ease.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6630507B1/en

Old 02-12-2019, 09:26 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,512,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Not true? Methinks you're either settling or delusional. But then there are women who like low-intensity, endless diddle-fests so if that's the case, more power to you.
For the record, ED affects over 50% of men at age 50 at one time or another. MJ is NOT known to cause any problems in that department. Alcohol is another matter as are prescription drugs. I would also attribute a pretty good percentage of problems as mental. Age is another factor. It's easy to blame something when it can be something else completely different.

Quote:
The medical community has not found conclusive evidence that using cannabis, or marijuana, leads to ED.
Does marijuana cause erectile dysfunction?

Old 02-12-2019, 10:57 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,677,814 times
The big pharma companies are starting to make deals with the marijuana people now, I just read about drug company Novatoris, how they are in talks with Tilray, said to be one the largest legal pot companies.

If there is money to be made, you can bet the pharma companies will jump onboard, they may have tried for awhile to stop or slow legalization down, but it seems they are starting to recognize how much they could make if they jump on the wagon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness