Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 10:06 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,421,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Many women have insomnia as a result of menopause or fluctuating hormones. There is nothing in the modern lifestyle that is going to stop menopause or fluctuating hormones if that is a problem you have. I know plenty of women who had good diets and healthy lifestyles who still had problems with hormones and/or menopause and needed medicine for insomnia.
And women in non-Western societies don't get symptoms from menopause. And I never did.

Yoga. Take it or leave it.

Drugs. Take them if that's what you think is best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 10:08 AM

And I forgot to mention meditation and relaxation techniques.

If you try drugs before yoga, meditation, and exercise, you are being misled by MDs. You are putting the interests of drug companies before your own health.

And by the way, you will see the same advice I am giving all over the place. This so-called health forum is unique in denying even the most obvious alternatives to drugs.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:16 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Your response is much "ruder" than anything I have written on this subject. I have a couple of degrees and a lifetime of experience - "MD's" don't really have solutions other than toxic drugs, and the people taking such drugs are going to MD's, and still not sleeping, so your point is illogical.

All drugs have toxic side effects. Not sure why you would say otherwise. Kind of bizarre - they all come with lists of side effects and you can also check side effects on the web if you have lost the inserts or didn't have that consultation with the pharmacist that is offered.

How is listing natural remedies making "people feel scared or bad?"

I don't think "most people" who take a myriad of drugs are in the frame of mind to analyze long-term side effects. When you are looking for quick fixes, getting Alzheimer's down the road is not something you probably consider as a deterrent - just guessing.
Okay, what are your degrees in and what is your experience? We can start with that.

You started off responding about how all doctors prescribed medications are toxic. For one that is patently false and it is not helpful for those that must take doctor prescribed medication, not just for insomnia but for other ailments. Not all side effects listed on a drug apply.
You can list all the natural 'remedies' you like. But you should not preface those with an attitude that its crazy not to try them first. How do you know people haven't tried those first? And even if they didn't its not your job to make them feel they are not taking care of themselves adequately, because of your opinions on medications.

Perhaps in the future you can preface your statements with an IMO. Or produce peer reviewed studies backing up your claims.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:17 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
And I forgot to mention meditation and relaxation techniques.

If you try drugs before yoga, meditation, and exercise, you are being misled by MDs. You are putting the interests of drug companies before your own health.

And by the way, you will see the same advice I am giving all over the place. This so-called health forum is unique in denying even the most obvious alternatives to drugs.
That is a statement made out of ignorance and fear. And you wonder why people criticize you.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:28 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
That is a statement made out of ignorance and fear. And you wonder why people criticize you.
Exactly. I am on a variety of medications now and a few have been due to fluctuating hormones. I have been exercising regularly and doing yoga since I was in my 20s (and am in my 40s now). I still take a preventive medication for my migraine because dealing with intractable migraines is just not going to work for me. Yes, exercising daily, eating right, drinking enough fluids, monthly massages, yoga, etc. all help a lot, but they are not 100%. The MD I went to actually counseled me on a holistic technique for getting rid of migraines in addition to just using medications. I actually tried a medication to help with sleep as well, but typically those do not work for me and just give me more insomnia.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Exactly. I am on a variety of medications now and a few have been due to fluctuating hormones. I have been exercising regularly and doing yoga since I was in my 20s (and am in my 40s now). I still take a preventive medication for my migraine because dealing with intractable migraines is just not going to work for me. Yes, exercising daily, eating right, drinking enough fluids, monthly massages, yoga, etc. all help a lot, but they are not 100%. The MD I went to actually counseled me on a holistic technique for getting rid of migraines in addition to just using medications. I actually tried a medication to help with sleep as well, but typically those do not work for me and just give me more insomnia.
I am aware that sometimes drugs are necessary. But very often in these conversations alternatives are not mentioned at all. So I mention them.

Your approach to health sounds very intelligent. No, unfortunately we can't cure everything by ourselves with no medical interventions. But very often, we can.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
No it isn't ignorance and fear. I have been observing this is real life and on health forums for a long time. MDs have a tendency to push drugs. This is widely acknowledged, it isn't just me.

From my perspective, ignorance is accepting everything MDs tell you. They learn a certain way of looking at things, and it is not always the best way.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:40 AM

And now, of course, someone will chime in with how mainstream medicine has extended our lives by 40 years and made us healthier than ever before.

No. Not actually true. But believe it if it makes you feel safe.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:42 AM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I can't believe so many people take drugs to sleep.

There are tons of natural sleep remedies - tons - sleep hygiene - magnesium, B vitamins, fan or sound machine in room, comfy bed, cotton sheets, right temperature (cooler, better), good pillow, essential oils, hot bath with Epsom salts before bed, limit alcohol, exercise (but not before bed), try CBT/THC "mint," thought control techniques, etc., etc.

The number of natural remedies (and their effectiveness) is quite amazing.

If you don't have side effects now from the toxic substances you are taking, do you wonder how they might affect your organs long-term? From kidney/liver/heart concerns to Alzheimer's???

Edited to add: Sleep mask! This is super helpful!
I have been an insomniac since childhood, as has my daughter. I've had a sleep study done that shows that my brain waves are 'busy' during sleep and that I actually get very little rest or deep sleep while 'sleeping'.
Sleep hygiene doesn't work for me, nor fans, white noise, oils, etc. Not vitamin B, Valerian or Chamomile, melatonin is mildly effective for a few months but I find I have to keep increasing the dosage, so no.

Effexor woks the same as the melatonin, which is to say just for a while before it becomes mostly ineffective.
Ambien has weird side effects that make me feel like I spend the night in a state of suspended animation, when I'm not having nightmares.
Lunesta worked fairly well but only gave me about 5-6 hours of sleep.
My doctor wanted me to give trazadone a try and so far it seems ok. I haven't had any side effects other than dry mouth.
I do want to give CBD a try, but am amused that it's not considered a drug by some. Tobacco is natural too, sure as heck doesn't mean it's not harmful.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:44 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Back on topic.... let's assume the OP has tried non-medical treatment.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness