Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 12:40 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times

Advertisements

We use our own shopping bags.
But our store has a scan-it-yourself tool. We never speak to anyone. Choose; scan; bag, pay, go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 02:01 PM

3,078 posts, read 1,542,888 times
Dirty, disgusting, reusuable grocery bags? Not as dirty, disgusting, reusuable as cash! But these stores are still accepting cash and cc. No sense. Lobbying by the plastics industry I’m sure.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:32 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Yes. Our local Walmart has a big box in front of store for recycling those plastic bags from their's and other stores. When I have enough supply of bags for scooping, I take the rest, keep them in my car to put them in recycle box whenever I go to the store. Not difficult. You don't recycle other items?

I do know that NYS, with the highest percentage of coronavirus cases in country, has lifted their ban on plastic grocery bags because of the virus. Don't know if California lifted their ban as well?
Talk about odd timing. My small town finally implemented its first ban on plastic bags in January and started charging people who didn't bring their own reusables. I know, I know, we're not exactly on the cutting edge of many social movements. Now some grocery stores are refusing customer reusable bags. It doesn't seem to be driven by the state. I've used canvas shopping bags for over 30 years. I bag my own groceries, load my own carts, load my own car. Yes, I wash them if something they carried leaked, but other than that they've never been "disgusting". I don't have any reason to touch them for a week or so at a time so doubt there's anything particularly pathogenic about them.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:45 PM

7,090 posts, read 4,521,984 times
Our grocery stores won’t let people use their own now.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
We use our own shopping bags.
But our store has a scan-it-yourself tool. We never speak to anyone. Choose; scan; bag, pay, go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Talk about odd timing. My small town finally implemented its first ban on plastic bags in January and started charging people who didn't bring their own reusables. I know, I know, we're not exactly on the cutting edge of many social movements. Now some grocery stores are refusing customer reusable bags. It doesn't seem to be driven by the state. I've used canvas shopping bags for over 30 years. I bag my own groceries, load my own carts, load my own car. Yes, I wash them if something they carried leaked, but other than that they've never been "disgusting". I don't have any reason to touch them for a week or so at a time so doubt there's anything particularly pathogenic about them.
For both of you-

The point is, if they're in your house, they're potentially contamined. If you put your bags in the grocery cart, you're potentially contaminating the cart. Even if you use self-checkout, you have to put the bag in the bagging area, potentially contaminating it.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Dirty, disgusting, reusuable grocery bags? Not as dirty, disgusting, reusuable as cash! But these stores are still accepting cash and cc. No sense. Lobbying by the plastics industry I’m sure.
Yes, "Big Plastic". You know, I used to live in "Big Ag(riculture)" country and I've seen a lot, but I still eat.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:46 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
For both of you-

The point is, if they're in your house, they're potentially contamined. If you put your bags in the grocery cart, you're potentially contaminating the cart. Even if you use self-checkout, you have to put the bag in the bagging area, potentially contaminating it.
I understand cross contamination thank you very much. I will comply with whatever restrictions are put into effect. No one I've been in close contact with for the past 3 months has traveled, been exposed, or been sick (flu, cold or otherwise), no one other than me has stepped foot in my house or my car since December, I haven't traveled anywhere or set foot in anyone else's house since before Christmas, haven't had a cold or flu since last winter, the bags haven't been handled by anyone other than me and won't be anytime soon. Yes, I have spent a few hours working behind the scenes at the public library but it's been closed for weeks. There hasn't been a single case of suspected or confirmed Covid-19 within 90 miles. My skepticism about pathogens on these particular bags stands.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:53 PM

5,328 posts, read 3,209,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Old woman on supermarket line placed her bags on the belt for the cashier to bag. Coronavirus or not, wash those bags, or throw them out. No wonder states have stopped their bans on single use plastic bags.
On the list of things that concerns me, this is way, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down at the bottom.

You have no idea if whatever you just bought was touched by the dude who took a dump and didn't wash his hands after. There are so many things that I think are nasty but a bag that neither I, nor anything I'm buying, will ever touch is not one of them.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I understand cross contamination thank you very much. I will comply with whatever restrictions are put into effect. No one I've been in close contact with for the past 3 months has traveled, been exposed, or been sick (flu, cold or otherwise), no one other than me has stepped foot in my house or my car since December, I haven't traveled anywhere or set foot in anyone else's house since before Christmas, haven't had a cold or flu since last winter, the bags haven't been handled by anyone other than me and won't be anytime soon. Yes, I did work at the public library but it's been closed for weeks. There hasn't been a single case of suspected or confirmed Covid-19 within 90 miles. My skepticism about pathogens on these particular bags stands.
Well how does the grocery know all that?

Old 03-27-2020, 04:40 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,256 times
What makes you think people don't wash their reusable bags??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness