Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 06:42 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,314,125 times

Advertisements

Old woman on supermarket line placed her bags on the belt for the cashier to bag. Coronavirus or not, wash those bags, or throw them out. No wonder states have stopped their bans on single use plastic bags.

What really impressed me was the gloved cashier's reaction. After the woman left, cashier disinfected the belt. She then removed her gloves according to the procedure under Universal Precautions, then put them in plastic grocery bag, tied the bag, and placed that bag in the trash. Cashier then sanitized her own hands before putting on a fresh pair of gloves. Took some time for her do this, but that is what needs to be done.

Did the supermarket teach her to do this? Does the general public now wearing their own gloves know this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 06:46 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,218,675 times
We have a supply of fresh brown paper bags. Plus we bought a stash of single use small plastic bags. No need to use old trashed bags.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:06 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
I would say this is a classic overreaction, but these days I'd probably be crucified for such a remark.

Normally, no one is worried about someone else's "dirty, germy" bags. They're the one who will eat the food placed in them--not you.

These days, if you bring your own bags, keep them with you and fill them yourself. That's what I (and most people here) are doing now. No one needs to touch them except you and and they don't need to be on the belt. And stop worrying so much.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:05 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,106 times
When i was working just about everyone brought their food in some grocery store plastic bags, tossed it in the staff fridge and NO ONE had a fit like this. Personally, i reuse my plastic grocery whenever i get them, for kitty litter. Generally, I bring canvas bags that are washable.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:49 AM

Majority of people with reusable bags keep them in their carts, and bag their own groceries, whatever the condition of them. If they are filthy, only you are touching them. I understand this woman was old, but so am I. Personally, I am not a germophobic, or afraid of cornoavirus. Hygiene is Hygiene. Would you walk around not showering or changing your clothes for a month? I can guarantee people WILL be standing 6 feet away from you.

We went to Commissary where the separate bagger asked, "Paper or plastic". Haven't seen or heard that in years! Asked for paper since I already my stash of plastic.

Yes, I, too, use those plastic bags to scoop my 2 cats litter pan. Cannot walk your cats on a leash outside. Forget that clumping litter. Will need even more plastic bags for urine.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:56 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
I always use reusable bags, but not right now.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:10 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
I'm not buying groceries right now, so my bags don't matter.

However, the NIH says the covid virus can live on plastic for about three days.
Cardboard, however, is not a good host, and the virus dies in an hour.
So I think paper or cotton bags would be a better choice than plastic.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:24 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Majority of people with reusable bags keep them in their carts, and bag their own groceries, whatever the condition of them. If they are filthy, only you are touching them. I understand this woman was old, but so am I. Personally, I am not a germophobic, or afraid of cornoavirus. Hygiene is Hygiene. Would you walk around not showering or changing your clothes for a month? I can guarantee people WILL be standing 6 feet away from you.

We went to Commissary where the separate bagger asked, "Paper or plastic". Haven't seen or heard that in years! Asked for paper since I already my stash of plastic.

Yes, I, too, use those plastic bags to scoop my 2 cats litter pan. Cannot walk your cats on a leash outside. Forget that clumping litter. Will need even more plastic bags for urine.
And some of them don’t. I have reusable bags that I can launder like clothes for a reason, and that is so I can put them in the laundry on a regular basis. I think the virus can live on fabric for a day, as opposed to days on plastic and I really really can’t stand plastic bags. I don’t have a pet and have no need for them. If they give paper, I will take that, but some stores do not give paper as an option.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Gov. Polis of Colorado has lifted plastic bag bans statewide:
https://ourcommunitynow.com/news-loc...rting-march-26
"Polis is lifting the ban on plastic shopping bags and is encouraging people to use plastic bags and not reusable bags when doing their grocery shopping."

I have a lot of reusable bags and I do clean them occasionally. I think for now I won't use them, and recycle the plastic bags.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Gov. Polis of Colorado has lifted plastic bag bans statewide:
https://ourcommunitynow.com/news-loc...rting-march-26
"Polis is lifting the ban on plastic shopping bags and is encouraging people to use plastic bags and not reusable bags when doing their grocery shopping."

I have a lot of reusable bags and I do clean them occasionally. I think for now I won't use them, and recycle the plastic bags.
Yes. Our local Walmart has a big box in front of store for recycling those plastic bags from their's and other stores. When I have enough supply of bags for scooping, I take the rest, keep them in my car to put them in recycle box whenever I go to the store. Not difficult. You don't recycle other items?

I do know that NYS, with the highest percentage of coronavirus cases in country, has lifted their ban on plastic grocery bags because of the virus. Don't know if California lifted their ban as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness