Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 05:08 PM

19,016 posts, read 27,579,284 times

Advertisements

You guys...
This reminded me of OUR bad times..when wife actually washed and dried plastic bags to reuse them. As diapers substitute, along with gauze. As we had kids and diapers were not even heard of. Add to this water rationed through the week.

You have no idea, how bad crap can go. It's still first world problems you are complaining about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 05:09 PM

5,151 posts, read 3,080,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
What makes you think people don't wash their reusable bags??
I just look at the people using them. Many are a bit tatty in their appearance, filling the air around them with the stench of patchouli oil. Thank god for multiple check out lanes and self-serve.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:20 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
I’m washing mine tomorrow. It’s been on my mind to do so, but this thread has reinforced it. Most are clean looking, but some look a bit grotty.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:42 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
I just look at the people using them. Many are a bit tatty in their appearance, filling the air around them with the stench of patchouli oil. Thank god for multiple check out lanes and self-serve.

Mine look tatty because they get a lot of use, and washing them makes them look even more tatty, but I can assure you they are clean.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:41 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times
I use my reusable bags for groceries - take the groceries in the house, unload them and then put them back out in the car trunk - how are some of yours/theirs getting "groddy?"

Old 03-27-2020, 06:55 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I use my reusable bags for groceries - take the groceries in the house, unload them and then put them back out in the car trunk - how are some of yours/theirs getting "groddy?"
They do studies on reusable bags and this is the worst thing to do. In many cases, items leak, and then when you put the bags back into your car (that can get really hot) this allows bacteria to grow. This is particularly the case if you are using reusable bags for meats or anything else that can spoil.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:48 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
They do studies on reusable bags and this is the worst thing to do. In many cases, items leak, and then when you put the bags back into your car (that can get really hot) this allows bacteria to grow. This is particularly the case if you are using reusable bags for meats or anything else that can spoil.
When I buy meat, it is either completely sealed in plastic like bacon, or it's in a styrofoam tray covered with plastic (in other words, I don't normally buy meat from the butcher counter). I put that package in a clean plastic film bag right there in the supermarket. Then, I pack it in my reusable bags, right side up. I have never known one of these double-wrapped meat items to leak.

If something did leak, I would wash the bag right away, of course. But since it normally does not, I don't worry about washing reusable bags after every use.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:54 PM

19,505 posts, read 9,532,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Our grocery stores won’t let people use their own now.
I guess that's like 7-11, that don't want you to bring in your own personal cups for coffee. You have to use their cups now. We had been using our Contigo mugs. Sure we can pour the coffee from 7-11 paper cups into our Contigo once we get back into the car but prior to the Coronavirus, it was thought of as wasting their cups.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:00 PM

19,505 posts, read 9,532,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
For both of you-

The point is, if they're in your house, they're potentially contamined. If you put your bags in the grocery cart, you're potentially contaminating the cart. Even if you use self-checkout, you have to put the bag in the bagging area, potentially contaminating it.
How do you know that while trying to separate those plastic bags in the self-checkout that an individual before you may have the Coronavirus?

Old 03-27-2020, 08:20 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Oh wait, you're saying the people who use reusable bags are tatty in their appearance? Have you ever seen me? No.

And we stink of patchouli oil? You don't know what I smell like (usually lavender, by the way).

Thank god you aren't in my line at the store. I'd give you the stink eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness