Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 09:42 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
How do you know that while trying to separate those plastic bags in the self-checkout that an individual before you may have the Coronavirus?
Good point. And the vegetable/fruit/bakery stuck-together thin plastic bags?! A finger touch to the tongue will easily open those suckers. Just sayin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 04:29 AM

181 posts, read 166,472 times
Whatever your bags, quarantine them for 3 days after your shopping trip. They may continue to be dirty, but that dirt will be devoid of coronavirus. Time, the best disinfectant.

Old 03-28-2020, 04:58 AM

3,836 posts, read 1,783,960 times
I have been using my reusable bags. Today at Trader Joes the cashier informed me they no longer can bag my groceries using them. Most other places I bag my own things, so no big deal. I cannot worry about potential germs touching the bags its an overreaction, there is enough to stress about right now.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:34 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Good point. And the vegetable/fruit/bakery stuck-together thin plastic bags?! A finger touch to the tongue will easily open those suckers. Just sayin'
Yep, totally saw a cashier at Target doing that about 2 weeks ago. There is just no way I would ever do that, so I just sit there frustrated forever, but now???

Old 03-28-2020, 05:40 AM

12,385 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Yes. Our local Walmart has a big box in front of store for recycling those plastic bags from their's and other stores. When I have enough supply of bags for scooping, I take the rest, keep them in my car to put them in recycle box whenever I go to the store. Not difficult. You don't recycle other items?

I do know that NYS, with the highest percentage of coronavirus cases in country, has lifted their ban on plastic grocery bags because of the virus. Don't know if California lifted their ban as well?
I haven't heard it yet. After being bullied and fined $0.10 into bringing our own bags a few years ago it would take Governor Newsom and the California mayors to start bullying us to stop bring your own or be charged, fined, for a bag. But I have noticed that frontline baggers are quicker to reach for the store bag.

Old 03-28-2020, 06:15 AM

962 posts, read 612,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
What makes you think people don't wash their reusable bags??
Because these "save the world" types don't believe in using water. Same reason they won't shower, wipe their ***, or throw anything in the trash.

A bunch of disgusting hippies that smell like a herd of goats.

Old 03-28-2020, 06:33 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Yeah, lol. However, when it comes to those bags someone taught me some years back to rub the ends together. The friction gets it to open. It’s worked for me on many occasions. It works for necklace chains when they get knotted up too.

Old 03-28-2020, 06:49 AM

12,385 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Because these "save the world" types don't believe in using water. Same reason they won't shower, wipe their ***, or throw anything in the trash.

A bunch of disgusting hippies that smell like a herd of goats.
Just as with the push to reuse bags there was always the push to save water, at least in California. A few months ago it would have been scoffed at to sing a song while washing your hands with fresh water flowing down the drain. Thus causing the Colorado and other rivers to drain to the point where species of fish go extinct.

They might not admit it now but the Thanos was right crowd did see benefits to the human species being smaller in number. They just ignored that Thanos took all the other species too so Disney could have the birds chirping scene in Avengers Endgame.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:09 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
I love my net string bags. Hold a ton and wash up great.

Of course I use store plastic grocery bags for trash since I'm single. I heard on the radio that they found when they stopped single use grocery bags that the buying of "regular" trash bags went up. Yep.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:30 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,897,919 times
I have always recognized reusable bags as a contamination danger. People buy leaky meat packages and put them in there. It doesn't matter if you separated at the time, when you reuse it you are going to transfer Salmonella, E Coli or Listeria to lettuce or some other produce you unwittingly put in the bag next. If you wash the bag well enough to kill these bacteria it will likely destroy the bag.

The best bet we have is continue using plastic but make a better effort at a local government level to provide collection containers for used plastic shopping bags and recycle them. Paper is not the answer as they have their own host of problems. Paper emits 51% more global warming gasses, creates 50 times more water pollution, uses 4 times more raw materials and consumes 2 times more energy. It also does not degrade as quickly as people think actually potentially lasting decades.

Improve our recyling programs around the country to get plastic out of the garbage and back into new production.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness