Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 06:41 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times

Advertisements

Anyone know where I can find this information? I'm very curious about the preexisting conditions that were present in those who succumbed to COVID-19. I'm just not finding much information. All I can seem to get is a breakdown of age and infection rates vs deaths. Nothing about the percentage who passed who were asthmatics, cancer patients, obese, diabetic, had heart problems etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 06:54 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Here's a FB post from a friend; unfortunately he doesn't provide a link to the original source.

Quote:
Some stats from the COVID deaths in the state of New York....

Many people also had other illnesses or conditions.... The leading underlying illness was hypertension, which showed up in 55% of the deaths. Next was diabetes, which was diagnosed in 1,755 deaths, or about 37% of the cases.
Other top illnesses found in those who died from coronavirus were hyperlipidemia; coronary artery disease; renal disease and dementia. Wow!!"

There's another complication to this- you'd have to look at the distributions in the general population and the deceased population by age and sex. Let's say that 30% of people in the 30-35 age group who died of COVID had hypertension. If 30% of the general population in that age group has hypertension, then maybe it has no effect on COVID mortality.

I agree with you that people who are less healthy to begin with are more vulnerable, but reading the occasional story of someone young and healthy who came down with it (Cameron van den Burgh, 31, retired Olympic swimmer, for example) makes me realize my own general good health doesn't make me invulnerable!

Old 04-08-2020, 06:54 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Anyone know where I can find this information? I'm very curious about the preexisting conditions that were present in those who succumbed to COVID-19. I'm just not finding much information. All I can seem to get is a breakdown of age and infection rates vs deaths. Nothing about the percentage who passed who were asthmatics, cancer patients, obese, diabetic, had heart problems etc.
Would be really good data to have wouldn't it.

Especially since the CDC has ordered that anyone who tests positive and dies to be counted as a coronavirus death. And guessing is also allowed. So test positive and get shot? You will be recorded as a coronavirus death. Did you cough before you died? Can't be the pack a day habit you had, must be coronavirus.

This pandemic will have the most corrupted and inaccurate data in the history of science. Completely worthless. No one knows what's going on now, and no one will be able to figure it out in the future.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:02 AM

I just did a search on "COVID-19 Co-morbidity". Lots of stuff out there. Here's an example. Given how quickly this developed (although I know the BBC first reported on the development in China on 1/2/2020), the scientists must have been working overtime.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7098485/

They also cite hypertension as the main co-morbidity factor in the death rate. My BP was 94/59 last week when I donated blood but I'm still going to use my hand sanitizer!

Old 04-08-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I just did a search on "COVID-19 Co-morbidity". Lots of stuff out there. Here's an example. Given how quickly this developed (although I know the BBC first reported on the development in China on 1/2/2020), the scientists must have been working overtime.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7098485/

They also cite hypertension as the main co-morbidity factor in the death rate. My BP was 94/59 last week when I donated blood but I'm still going to use my hand sanitizer!
Yes I saw that too.

I'm more interested in US or worldwide data. I keep hearing anecdotal things that its affected one gender more than the other, that obesity isn't being tracked as a "health condition ", that certain racial groups are more at risk, and that doctors are telling people who have symptoms but are generally otherwise healthy to stay home and isolate rather than get tested. So I'm just curious if anyone has found any data from the united states or worldwide. Doubtful but maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

Especially since the CDC has ordered that anyone who tests positive and dies to be counted as a coronavirus death. And guessing is also allowed. So test positive and get shot? You will be recorded as a coronavirus death. Did you cough before you died? Can't be the pack a day habit you had, must be coronavirus.

This pandemic will have the most corrupted and inaccurate data in the history of science. Completely worthless. No one knows what's going on now, and no one will be able to figure it out in the future.
I do find it curious that the information on basic demographic categories like race and gender are not being consistently collected in each state. And that issues like hypertension are not being cited as a risk factor on the PSAs that I've seen. It does puzzle me.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:30 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

There's another complication to this- you'd have to look at the distributions in the general population and the deceased population by age and sex. Let's say that 30% of people in the 30-35 age group who died of COVID had hypertension. If 30% of the general population in that age group has hypertension, then maybe it has no effect on COVID mortality.

!

Very perceptive.

Good example-- influenza stats vs flu vaccine-- the only age group for which it appears a flu shot seems to lower the death rate from flu is the eldest quintile (age 85+) BUT- it doesn't lower the all cause death rate in that group.....Simple explanation-- if an old guy had a flu shot, the doc wasn't about to list flu as a cause of death, so it looks like the shot helped. It really only helped keeping the diagnosis off the death certificate.

The real test for CoV & mortality will be when they total things up at the end of the year-- will there be excess deaths compared to an average year?

A point about "risk factors"-- HTN, CAD, hyperlipidemia, dementia, wrinkles and gray hair are all part of aging. If old age (impaired immune system) is associated with CoViD mortality, then all those things correlated with old age will appear to be "risk factors." That doesn't mean using expensive wrinkle cream or hair dye will improve your chances.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:44 AM

40 posts, read 44,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page

This is from NYC. Scroll down to the bottom of the page where there is a link to a twice daily updated pdf titled “Covid-19 Daily Data Summary: Deaths”. The major problem with this one, however, is it doesn’t list all the underlying conditions separately. Hypertension is included as one, and a ton of people have it.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:09 AM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

As intended, starting with the wild 2,000,000 US deaths estimate. So much of this disgrace has been pure manipulation. It's worked, we have our dictatorship now. Did anyone notice?

Old 04-08-2020, 11:34 AM

This has more than theoretical implications. I was watching a German news podcast and they noted the ethical questions of allocating scarce resources such as ventilators- naturally they want to allocate them to people who are most likely to benefit from them. One factor Mentioned was "Vorerkrankungen", which I figured out meant pre-existing conditions, even before I looked it up.

Go, me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness