Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 11:00 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
That is because most people HAVE masks already in Japan. They had a massive reforestation project after WWII and only planted two types of trees. The cedars release a lot of pollen and cause many people to have really bad hay fever, so people wear the masks to help with that. Here we don’t have that problem since we haven’t gone massive reforestation projects with only one type of tree.

Right now masks are hard for people to get and not everyone has the fabric lying around to make them easily. I think that is probably more the reason people aren’t wearing them. I have a lot of fabric and know how to sew, but some people don’t wear bandanas, don’t sew, and don’t have much fabric around that they can use to make masks.
OK, I have no reason to doubt you. That sounds logical.

But still, people here in the US still weren't quick to wear masks when covid first started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 11:14 AM

15,838 posts, read 6,543,563 times
In terms of total cases per one million population, the US is below a number of European countries.

Ref.: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Old 04-09-2020, 11:37 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Since the beginning, the government response has been poor that people shouldn't use face masks. That decision already caused tens of thousands of people to disregard their safety and get infected.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:54 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
Dumb luck, still had this link in my copy / paste

https://qz.com/299003/a-quick-histor...sks-in-public/

It's partially sense, partially fashion, partially superstition.

Masks here would have limited the spread, that's becoming apparent. Not for your safety though. Mine.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:49 PM

1,264 posts, read 667,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Since the beginning, the government response has been poor that people shouldn't use face masks. That decision already caused tens of thousands of people to disregard their safety and get infected.
I agree.
But really, the information and advice coming from our Washington leadership has been, inadequate at times, unfactual at times but truly like the weather....changing daily. How can a nation adhere to sound advice when the advice varies daily? I understand that new information from scientists exploring this virus is uncovered regularly, but that's not what my point is. We have been getting too much political public relations speak and not enough truth.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:02 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,663,404 times
I would say Germany was doing the right thing by testing early and now has a low death rate within a densely populated country of 83 million that’s smaller than the state of Montana.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:54 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
It's a combination of things.

1. Slow to respond to the warnings.
2. Travel related infections, it was transplanted, took too long to restrict travel (see #1)
3. Population density
4. Lack of testing for the general population, you can play the blame game on this one and never get anywhere. Unfortunately we will have to learn from our mistakes.
5. probably the most damaging would be that asymptomatic people can spread it. This could of been prevented as done in South Korea (see #4)

Instead of being proactive we were reactive. It's a balancing act with the economy, you can't shut everything down till you have no choice. In this case, it cost many lives.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:18 PM

204 posts, read 202,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
I would say Germany was doing the right thing by testing early and now has a low death rate within a densely populated country of 83 million that’s smaller than the state of Montana.
Couldn’t agree more! I think they have been doing an excellent job,thanks in part to firm leadership!

Old 04-09-2020, 02:19 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
When I think of densely packed populations, I think of London, Mumbai, Hong Kong or Singapore. What's so odd to me in the data is that this virus, now over 400,000 people....seems to be hitting the US even as the rest of the nations slow it down. Is it that other nations aren't reporting? What are other nations doing that the US isn't?
Not so much London, but these other places are HOT. I've heard this virus is somewhat like the flu in that its not as wickedly infectious in warm weather.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:56 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
... I've heard this virus is somewhat like the flu in that its not as wickedly infectious in warm weather.
Clearly not true, as evidenced by the spread in southern/southwestern areas.

Part of the reason is that we have a lot of stupid and/or ignorant people (not necessarily the same, but it gets the same result). Some think "Oh, it can't happen to me", or "I'm young and healthy, even if I get it, it won't be that bad for me" (with no consideration for the people they might spread it to).

Here in ME, the state CDC reported today that one part of the outbreak was traced to a 'traveling salesman' who held a series of meetings at particular locations (multiple meetings at each location). Previous states he had been in were notified, and similar spreads were also tracked back to him at locations where he had meetings...presumably, he himself did not become severely ill until a considerable amount of time had passed, but he acted as a modern day 'Typhoid Mary', leaving illness and death in his wake.

Weather (warm or not) is unlikely to provide any relief. This thing is not going to stop unless we can successfully quarantine all infected individuals until all who are infected have recovered (and/or died), a scenario that seems unlikely to me. As long as even one infected individual is running around, it will keep coming back again and again, until we have all been infected and recovered or died...or we get a vaccine, which is not likely to be a solution available in the short-term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness