Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 03:27 PM

287 posts, read 363,449 times

Advertisements

The question was why does the US have so many more cases? I'm not a doctor, but it seems to me that if 80% of people don't reach the serious stage of symptom issues and some people are asymptomatic, I would think that part of the population is better at fighting the disease than others. I think most obvious difference between the US and other countries is how seriously we take our health. We are a country of overeaters, smokers, vapers, and drinkers. These weaken our immune system. Most of us don't exercise. So when our cardiovascular systems are having to go the extra mile, they can't respond. Most European countries don't have the levels of obesity that we do. China got hit hard because so many people smoke. Italy because of smoking but also an older than average population. I sincerely hope that people use this as a wakeup call to take better care of themselves and exercise, but sadly I don't think they will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 04:32 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
That is because most people HAVE masks already in Japan. They had a massive reforestation project after WWII and only planted two types of trees. The cedars release a lot of pollen and cause many people to have really bad hay fever, so people wear the masks to help with that. Here we don’t have that problem since we haven’t gone massive reforestation projects with only one type of tree.

Right now masks are hard for people to get and not everyone has the fabric lying around to make them easily. I think that is probably more the reason people aren’t wearing them. I have a lot of fabric and know how to sew, but some people don’t wear bandanas, don’t sew, and don’t have much fabric around that they can use to make masks.

That is my reason I'm not wearing one unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
When I think of densely packed populations, I think of London, Mumbai, Hong Kong or Singapore. What's so odd to me in the data is that this virus, now over 400,000 people....seems to be hitting the US even as the rest of the nations slow it down. Is it that other nations aren't reporting? What are other nations doing that the US isn't?
Keep in mind that while it is affecting all of the US to a good degree the part being affected by far the most is probably the one part of America that is truly like London, Mumbai, Hong Kong or Singapore in that sense....metro NYC!

Old 04-11-2020, 08:39 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Thanks for the responses all. I would note that when this broke out masks were the first thing to go and I haven’t seen them available since. The people that bought obviously bought a lot given the number I see lying discarded on the ground everywhere I go.

With a virus that may or may not show any effects for a couple of weeks, I don’t see how a border stop could be effective. Incidentally this winter I went overseas for a religious pilgrimage starting in Poland and moving south. By Hungary I was truly too sick to continue. Most of the group ended up sick then or after as well all crammed on a tour bus. It was the worst flu I’d ever had and in the airport I could see many had it. Took me down for a couple of months. Where does one draw the line?

As to the trump haters....dude definitely didn’t help but is our nation so feeble that if the president stops doing something that needs to be done the rest of us are content to sit around and complain. Is that really our nation? Ok president bitched it but we have no other link that failed? That’s a ton of responsibility being passed onto a guy.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:41 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Reportedly, over 430,000 people from China flew to the U.S. in the early weeks of this, and many Italians did as well. I suspect that this is because the U.S. was perceived as "safer" than most any other place, but in so doing, those that traveled here were actually the cause of it being as bad as it is as quickly as it did. Supposedly, over three million people came into the U.S., although many were probably American citizens returning home. How many were carriers? Who fought against closing the borders? To me, this is the biggest story (and failure) of the pandemic (why we would allow so many non-citizens to enter the country with so little control, History will probably see this in the same light as the Blitzkrieg).

But it appears more and more to me, that the root cause of why we were hit so badly is, China lied, WHO complied, and Americans died.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:47 PM

357 posts, read 125,412 times
were also unfortunately not getting constant results and feedback of who has been treated and healed. Were only hearing mostly about new cases and deaths, but many people have recovered.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:22 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,409,977 times
We have so many because our country's leadership insisted it wasn't a problem. Then when it became a problem, they said it wasn't a big problem, and they had it completely under control. Then when it was clear it wasn't under control, they said they'll do a few things that no experts suggested they do. They also refused to do a few things the experts urged them to do. Then, when they finally decided to do the things that needed to be done, the damage was already done. And now we have what we have, and we're scrambling to play "catch up" to minimize future damage, three months later.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:10 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now Justice 81 View Post
were also unfortunately not getting constant results and feedback of who has been treated and healed. Were only hearing mostly about new cases and deaths, but many people have recovered.
I especially follow two regions of interest, Big Island of Hawaii and SE Alaska. Fortunately they report these figures.

In Hawaii, 26 of 31 confirmed cases have now recovered. In Alaska, 20 out of 25. No one hospitalized on Hawaii island, I believe 5 in Alaska. Whether or not any remain hospitalized it doesn't say.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:18 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
We have so many because our country's leadership insisted it wasn't a problem. Then when it became a problem, they said it wasn't a big problem, and they had it completely under control. Then when it was clear it wasn't under control, they said they'll do a few things that no experts suggested they do. They also refused to do a few things the experts urged them to do. Then, when they finally decided to do the things that needed to be done, the damage was already done. And now we have what we have, and we're scrambling to play "catch up" to minimize future damage, three months later.

Yes this but probably probably more than that is the the US is the Third most populous country in the world with ~320 million residents. We are reporting honestly - unlike China which seems to have clearly lied about their numbers. India - which is a mess and is hardly reporting at all. Reports are that Indian hospitals are overun with patients with symptoms. So no accurate reporting there either.

The US is doing the right thing (by trying) to take the threat seriously. If you compare the US to Spain or Italy, who also seem to be reporting honestly, we have fewer per capita cases.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:49 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Reportedly, over 430,000 people from China flew to the U.S. in the early weeks of this, and many Italians did as well.

But it appears more and more to me, that the root cause of why we were hit so badly is, China lied, WHO complied, and Americans died.
I agree that Chinese travel to the US was the root cause of why we have so many cases. But let's not leave out Americans traveling to China, which is probably equal in numbers to Chinese that traveled to the US.

I do blame the Chinese government for not locking down their country and containing the virus instead of spreading it worldwide. That was very selfish of them. No doubt due to economic concerns, lives are not valued as highly by the Chinese government, nor the US. After China failed to shut their own borders, the rest of the world should have shut them for them, refusing Chinese travelers and refusing entry into China. If only China had closed their own border then the rest of the world would not be suffering right now. Then the rest of the world failed to act. Seems money is more important than lives wherever you go, what a shame.

China "lying" over their numbers is questionable. It's certainly possible, but there's no proof to your statement, there's only disbelief by Americans (and others) that the Chinese could contain the virus to the extent that they did. No doubt they didn't test everyone, asymptomatic cases, and mild cases, just the same as we have not tested them in the US.
What I think the Chinese numbers do point to is the ultimate weapon for Communism vs Capitalism. The Chinese when necessary fall in line like a colony of ants and do their part. What Americans do is shout from the hills about their freedom, and live with an economy that can totally crash in a month. What has really happened here is that the Chinese have kicked our asses and won. In a pandemic, it is very clear to see which economic model can handle the strain (no pun intended!)

As for the WHO, they are no more guilty than the CDC. Both, in order to avoid mass panic, lied to us all and downplayed the severity of how contagious this virus is, and just how susceptible we all are going out into the world without masks, while they both told us we don't need masks in order to try to divert the masks to the hospitals.
I disagree that you can blame the Chinese government numbers or the WHO, it is just as fair and balanced to blame Trump administration testing failures and numbers and the CDC.

Old 04-12-2020, 09:06 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now Justice 81 View Post
30,548 have recovered today (reported). I don't wait to "hear" anything, I just look at the numbers.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness