Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 07:40 PM

7,649 posts, read 4,603,757 times

Advertisements

When I think of densely packed populations, I think of London, Mumbai, Hong Kong or Singapore. What's so odd to me in the data is that this virus, now over 400,000 people....seems to be hitting the US even as the rest of the nations slow it down. Is it that other nations aren't reporting? What are other nations doing that the US isn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 08:47 PM

1,265 posts, read 668,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
When I think of densely packed populations, I think of London, Mumbai, Hong Kong or Singapore. What's so odd to me in the data is that this virus, now over 400,000 people....seems to be hitting the US even as the rest of the nations slow it down. Is it that other nations aren't reporting? What are other nations doing that the US isn't?
As a country, we aren't unified as to how we confront and battle this virus. Nine states still aren't officially participating in mandated social distancing. Nations that got hit hard with this early and rebounded, enlisted a united opposition. Our leadership sat on their brains, hoping the Sun would shine and we would wake up all good again. There are many reasons why we are failing compared to nations with a lot less money, knowledge and wherewithal. Our medical communities fighting the battles upfront still need more testing, amongst other things. If we had more testing our numbers likely would be astronomically greater.
Maybe that's it in a nutshell?

Old 04-08-2020, 09:03 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,750,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
As a country, we aren't unified as to how we confront and battle this virus. Nine states still aren't officially participating in mandated social distancing. Nations that got hit hard with this early and rebounded, enlisted a united opposition. Our leadership sat on their brains, hoping the Sun would shine and we would wake up all good again. There are many reasons why we are failing compared to nations with a lot less money, knowledge and wherewithal. Our medical communities fighting the battles upfront still need more testing, amongst other things. If we had more testing our numbers likely would be astronomically greater.
Maybe that's it in a nutshell?
Riffing off of this a bit, there’s testing issues. We can only report what we’ve tested as “confirmed”, per general guidelines. Bombay might be an example of lagging testing, although I honestly don’t know what India’s testing capacity is.

The US is a culturally free country, where East Asian countries generally are more “obedient” to stay-at-home orders. South Korea is a relatively newly minted success story, and its likely a lot of folks there still know how to get by on relatively little, thereby not needing to just go to the store; Singapore is about as close to a benevolent authoritarian government as I can think of, and Singaporeans will take the health measures very seriously.

It’s hard to find a good analogue to the US. Italy is kinda close in that it is one of those places kind of used to just kind of ignoring the government, but their demographics don’t match up, and they generally live a lot closer to each other in intergenerational households than we do.

I don’t think there’s a solid answer here.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:19 AM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times
Differential rates and manners of travel. Check out a map of CoViD cases-- highest rates of infection mostly centered on international business/travel hubs.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:21 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,879,736 times
Your premise is incorrect. Italy has 140,000 cases - and just 1/6th the people. Scale up = 840,000.
Same is true with France and Spain.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:22 AM

12,779 posts, read 14,996,596 times
I hate this too w/ the US having so many more cases!

Here's another aspect that I also think & some people may not like to hear this:

The US has quite an overabundant, (unnecessary) importance on physical appearance. Everyone's so into good looks, being sexy, hot bodies, etc. Therefore, no one here has really started wearing masks until right now in which states are FINALLY starting to make it mandatory to wear them. My county's made it effective 2 days ago.

But all along, I think everyone thought they were too cute to wear some "ugly old masks" to cover their "beautiful" faces. Everyone needed to have stopped being so haughty & above it all & put those masks on 1-2 mos sooner at least for their own safety.

You look at those Asian countries such as Japan. They've ALWAYS worn masks way, way before covid-19 started. They can put their pride & looks aside & have better common sense to wear masks & stay healthy.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:35 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

Here's another aspect that I also think & some people may not like to hear this:

The US has quite an overabundant, (unnecessary) importance on physical appearance. Everyone's so into good looks, being sexy, hot bodies, etc. Therefore, no one here has really started wearing masks until right now in which states are FINALLY starting to make it mandatory to wear them. My county's made it effective 2 days ago.

But all along, I think everyone thought they were too cute to wear some "ugly old masks" to cover their "beautiful" faces. Everyone needed to have stopped being so haughty & above it all & put those masks on 1-2 mos sooner at least for their own safety.

You look at those Asian countries such as Japan. They've ALWAYS worn masks way, way before covid-19 started. They can put their pride & looks aside & have better common sense to wear masks & stay healthy.
That my be southern CA's excuse but no one wore them here in CT either until a few days ago. I still don't see too many people wearing them because it's not mandatory. People here probably wear them in the grocery store when they go. Here it's more a matter of feeling embarrassed and not wanting to be ridiculed for wearing a mask.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:43 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

That is because most people HAVE masks already in Japan. They had a massive reforestation project after WWII and only planted two types of trees. The cedars release a lot of pollen and cause many people to have really bad hay fever, so people wear the masks to help with that. Here we don’t have that problem since we haven’t gone massive reforestation projects with only one type of tree.

Right now masks are hard for people to get and not everyone has the fabric lying around to make them easily. I think that is probably more the reason people aren’t wearing them. I have a lot of fabric and know how to sew, but some people don’t wear bandanas, don’t sew, and don’t have much fabric around that they can use to make masks.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:44 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Your premise is incorrect. Italy has 140,000 cases - and just 1/6th the people. Scale up = 840,000.
Same is true with France and Spain.
Yep.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:59 AM

12,779 posts, read 14,996,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That my be southern CA's excuse but no one wore them here in CT either until a few days ago. I still don't see too many people wearing them because it's not mandatory. People here probably wear them in the grocery store when they go. Here it's more a matter of feeling embarrassed and not wanting to be ridiculed for wearing a mask.
Well, you just supported part of my point. They're embarrassed because masks LOOK weird, funny, odd, like the odd person out, etc. to them. So it is about how they LOOK even in CT, even in the lowest population coutry town, even in NY, even in HI, everywhere. They don't want to look like they're sickly or something in which people may get away from them. This reminds me of the student in high school who's all embarrassed for having to wear his braces w/ the whole neck wires all around his neck. Even though it's for his health/well being, he thinks it looks odd, nerdy, horrible, etc. & doesn't want to be made fun of.

So you just said it to elaborate on my point: People are too embarrassed & don't want to be ridiculed.

Again, everyone better stop caring how masks look & focus on their health & well being. Who cares how it looks. I'll be in googles, a face shield, mask, etc. out in public if it's going to protect me from some deadly disease. People are dying out there by the thousands & they're young people w/ no underlying health issues. It's like a hit or miss if you'll die or survive from this & I don't want those odds AT ALL.

So notice how many times I bolded the word LOOK/LOOKS above?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness