Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 03:53 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post

That is because most people HAVE masks already in Japan. They had a massive reforestation project after WWII and only planted two types of trees. The cedars release a lot of pollen and cause many people to have really bad hay fever, so people wear the masks to help with that. Here we don’t have that problem since we haven’t gone massive reforestation projects with only one type of tree.
Wearing masks in Asian cities, including prevalence of masks in large cities in China, is very much because the air pollution in many large Asian cities is horrendous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 04:00 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,295,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
That is not true, and not what she said, no BS, please.
DR. DEBORAH BIRX: So, I think in this country we've taken a very liberal approach to mortality.
What did she say right after that?

Old 04-10-2020, 04:13 PM

3,503 posts, read 2,665,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
What did she say right after that?
She said and I quote " And I think the reporting here has been pretty straightforward over the last five to six weeks. Prior to that when there wasn't testing in January and February that's a very different situation and unknown."

Old 04-10-2020, 07:18 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
The US also has a very long-lasting, culturally ingrained habit of prioritizing money over health, to the point that a lot of workers simply don't have robust paid sick leave. Most of the rest of the developed world does this much better. A lot of coronavirus cases start off with mild symptoms for a few days that are almost indistinguishable from a cold or the flu, and people don't take off work because they lack sick leave. So they spread it around. Even if they are really feeling ill a week into it, by that time they could easily have gotten 3 or 4 or more people sick...

Old 04-10-2020, 10:28 PM

12,779 posts, read 14,992,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Not true, Amazon has NO N95 mask for sale, you can buy Anti Dust Mask.
Well, I wasn't talking about N95 ones, but the regular (at least 3-layer) surgical ones.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:25 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,480,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Testing is probably better here than in other counties. Maybe speed of results isn't better but the testing probably is.
Some countries yes, some countries no. I am in Texas, they are only testing some symptomatic cases which makes it clear there are not enough tests to go around. If they were testing the general population, we would have a much more clear understanding of where we stand. This country very obviously dropped the ball and did not prepare. The US and south Korea got their first confirmed case the very same day. South Korea did widespread testing of the general population as well as social distancing. Their per-capita rate of testing is much higher than ours, probably 6x as much. The US refused the WHO tests and decided to go with the CDC which failed miserably in providing tests. The initial tests they produced did not even work and even when they did it get it going it was grossly inadequate. This will go down in history as a major blunder that costs many lives and I don't doubt one bit that the move to refuse the WHO tests was purely political. We all know who makes those kinds of decisions, I won't even go there.

Last edited by gguerra; 04-11-2020 at 08:34 AM..

Old 04-11-2020, 08:34 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
The CDC changed it's guidelines for exposed essential people to go back to work. It involves all kinds of stuff, wearing masks, social distancing at work, getting your temp taken....

What wasn't involved? Simply testing them. Why would that not be a part of the new guidelines?

When that came out yesterday, I was surprised that it was not commented on.

I'm guessing it is lack of testing capability. I can't think of any other reason. I feel it would be common sense to test.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-11-2020, 09:55 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Your premise is incorrect. Italy has 140,000 cases - and just 1/6th the people. Scale up = 840,000.
Same is true with France and Spain.
That's a very good analogy. This is catastrophic because Italy did not take this seriously early on.

I think part of the problem is testing. We have only tested about 1% of our population, yet, our know cases are staggering. Are we keeping track of everyone who dies at home from Covid? I don't think so. Nursing homes? Prisons? Or are we just reporting known cases to try and keep the numbers lower? I don't think we have an accurate depiction of the deaths or cases.

We had a near disaster like this in 2003 when SARS Cov made it to our soil in 29 states with 115 cases. Toronto got hit hard and had about a 12% mortality with that outbreak. This should have been a wake up call. We had an excellent pandemic response team in 2003.

Physician's Weekly: "Exclusive: U.S. axed CDC expert job in China months before virus outbreak."
Once upon a time we had a strong CDC with boots on the ground in 29 countries vs just 10 today. Once upon a time the CDC and pandemic response team had efficiently tamped out a near pandemic in 2003. Ever wonder why the CDC is strangely silent during this pandemic? Compare the CDC response to Covid 19 and SARS 2003.

Senate,gov.warren.press release: "Senate and House Leaders Raise Concerns About the Impact of President Trump's Decisions On HHS and CDC Preparedness for Flu Pandemic."
The Boston Globe: "Trump attacks CDC over coronavirus preparedness, though he eliminated an office dedicated to pandemic prevention."

So what do we have here? A pandemic that has ruined our economy that should have been prevented like it was in 2003 with the real "all the best people" in place.

Testing that is still totally inadequate and late when a perfectly good test from WHO was readily available and used around the globe.

Intel that warned early on that this was serious, yet we have a president that gas lighted and lied allowing those easily influenced to spread it like wild fire. "It's just a cold."

Closing down travel between China and the United States should have occurred a month earlier, yet, the asymptomatic seed people would have still entered our country. Were they tracked? Quarantined early on?

What are we left with? A third world response and lock down of entire country for perhaps months? A rising and staggering death toll, and a totally botched response to this nightmare from a lying gas bag that just cares about ratings and numbers.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:49 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
When I think of densely packed populations, I think of London, Mumbai, Hong Kong or Singapore. What's so odd to me in the data is that this virus, now over 400,000 people....seems to be hitting the US even as the rest of the nations slow it down. Is it that other nations aren't reporting? What are other nations doing that the US isn't?
Because we started late in addressing it, and we had no tests at the beginning to a shortage of tests now (because we refused to buy them from the WHO, choosing to buy them from a friend of Kushner's instead, who had a learning curve in this new business of his). But don't worry. Trump told us that friend is very smart.

Old 04-11-2020, 03:13 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
That's a very good analogy. This is catastrophic because Italy did not take this seriously early on.

I think part of the problem is testing. We have only tested about 1% of our population, yet, our know cases are staggering. Are we keeping track of everyone who dies at home from Covid? I don't think so. Nursing homes? Prisons? Or are we just reporting known cases to try and keep the numbers lower? I don't think we have an accurate depiction of the deaths or cases.

We had a near disaster like this in 2003 when SARS Cov made it to our soil in 29 states with 115 cases. Toronto got hit hard and had about a 12% mortality with that outbreak. This should have been a wake up call. We had an excellent pandemic response team in 2003.

Physician's Weekly: "Exclusive: U.S. axed CDC expert job in China months before virus outbreak."
Once upon a time we had a strong CDC with boots on the ground in 29 countries vs just 10 today. Once upon a time the CDC and pandemic response team had efficiently tamped out a near pandemic in 2003. Ever wonder why the CDC is strangely silent during this pandemic? Compare the CDC response to Covid 19 and SARS 2003.

Senate,gov.warren.press release: "Senate and House Leaders Raise Concerns About the Impact of President Trump's Decisions On HHS and CDC Preparedness for Flu Pandemic."
The Boston Globe: "Trump attacks CDC over coronavirus preparedness, though he eliminated an office dedicated to pandemic prevention."

So what do we have here? A pandemic that has ruined our economy that should have been prevented like it was in 2003 with the real "all the best people" in place.

Testing that is still totally inadequate and late when a perfectly good test from WHO was readily available and used around the globe.

Intel that warned early on that this was serious, yet we have a president that gas lighted and lied allowing those easily influenced to spread it like wild fire. "It's just a cold."

Closing down travel between China and the United States should have occurred a month earlier, yet, the asymptomatic seed people would have still entered our country. Were they tracked? Quarantined early on?

What are we left with? A third world response and lock down of entire country for perhaps months? A rising and staggering death toll, and a totally botched response to this nightmare from a lying gas bag that just cares about ratings and numbers.
The US + Europe response was that this is just a cold virus and get over it. That's why no country took it seriously. A lot of people today still believes this is just a simple cold virus and we should all get over it so you see people still in the supermarkets with no protection whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness