Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 07:47 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Recovering alcoholic here. I have been sober since late August of last year, but your post explains a lot. I'm hoping the itching diminishes as my liver repairs itself. Codeine also makes me itch and I haven't used that for years. Thanks a lot for posting!
When I got my wisdom teeth pulled they gave me something Rx for the pain. I don't remember what it was because it was decades ago, but it made me feel like bugs were crawling all over my skin. It's a mild allergic reaction. Mild, but the sensation was worse than the pain so since then I stick with aspirin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 10:40 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,438,347 times
Do you live in a really dry climate? I did for most of my life & was always itchy due to the dry air, especially on my scalp. Also, do you have hard water? It really dries out the skin, hence more itching.

Someone mentioned Cetaphil skin care products. I use them, they help a lot, along with Benadryl.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:49 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Both Sasquatch and Chupacabras are known to carry scabies mites. Toxic chemicals and radiation from aliens might have given you a skin rash and itch.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...0265399c3a422c

Old 04-30-2021, 12:05 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
I live in KY, this problem bothers me during winter and summer both, Ive tried every antihistamine mentioned in these threads, I had great luck at first with the anti histamine in Alka Seltzer cold, but it stopped working shortly after.

I do not drink any alcohol, havent had any in many years now. no bed bugs (I check regularly)

I should also mention, that in many of these areas on my body, I have sores in various stages of healing pretty much all the time...when the itching is really bad, I itch til it bleeds (and then some), but usually once it starts bleeding, the itch will stop.

The tops of my feet have many little scars, from past itching sores...one foot will itch bad for awhile, then stop and other one will start itching, sometimes I go a few weeks between and neither itch, but it always comes back eventually.

My sister told me that my grandpa used to have itching problems on his legs...apparently he used to wipe diesel fuel on his legs periodically, Im not sure if that ever helped or not, my sister didnt know either. I have tried straight bleach before with mixed results, (it helped sometimes, but not all the time)

Old 04-30-2021, 08:13 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I live in KY, this problem bothers me during winter and summer both, Ive tried every antihistamine mentioned in these threads, I had great luck at first with the anti histamine in Alka Seltzer cold, but it stopped working shortly after.

I do not drink any alcohol, havent had any in many years now. no bed bugs (I check regularly)

I should also mention, that in many of these areas on my body, I have sores in various stages of healing pretty much all the time...when the itching is really bad, I itch til it bleeds (and then some), but usually once it starts bleeding, the itch will stop.

The tops of my feet have many little scars, from past itching sores...one foot will itch bad for awhile, then stop and other one will start itching, sometimes I go a few weeks between and neither itch, but it always comes back eventually.

My sister told me that my grandpa used to have itching problems on his legs...apparently he used to wipe diesel fuel on his legs periodically, Im not sure if that ever helped or not, my sister didnt know either. I have tried straight bleach before with mixed results, (it helped sometimes, but not all the time)
What do the sores look like? Folliculitis can cause a lot of tiny, super itchy sores. Medication doesn’t tend to work great for it. There are different types like fungal or bacterial, and what will work for one type may not work for another. I tend to get folliculitis when the weather changes for some reason, and the dermatologist told me that it is normal in some people. I use a lot of exfoliating lotions to help, but sometimes it gets really bad and I need an antifungal. Usually if I take the antifungal pill, it will clear up in a couple of weeks. I have some stomach side effects with it though and don’t really care to take it.

Otherwise, you might have some sort of scabies or other issue. It sounds like you need to see a dermatologist and get a diagnosis if you have not already.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:46 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I deal with itching also. Generally all over, but the most annoying is my back which is hard to get to. I have a brick fire place with a sharp corner. I use it a lot. I don't moisturize at this point, but it sounds like a good idea. I'm sure my spouse will be happy to accommodate! (ha ha).
My back ---exactly where I can't reach---drives me NUTS! I always have a long-handled metal scoop, like for soup, at hand to wield down my back. I've broken every back scratcher but a plastic pasta claw works too. They are dedicated to scratching and don't go back to the kitchen, lol.

My ex used to scratch his back on a sharp corner too. I laughed at first, but it works too.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:17 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,060,271 times
There's an older antihistamine that's very good for itching, but it does cause drowsiness (which may be a good thing at night).

https://www.rxlist.com/vistaril-drug.htm

Old 04-30-2021, 02:00 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
There's an older antihistamine that's very good for itching, but it does cause drowsiness (which may be a good thing at night).

https://www.rxlist.com/vistaril-drug.htm
I use this and it works. Usually I use 10mg, which the dermatologist says is kind of low, but I can use more than one if I am really itchy. I like the 10mg because it is manageable during the day, while the 25 is too sedating. I think it is used in a much higher dose for anxiety.

Old 04-30-2021, 07:39 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,269 times
My guess is that it is underlying anxiety. I also believe that itching leads to more itching. Try to go a day without scratching and instead rub the the itch. You may never find out what the cause is, and hopefully one day it will just go away.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:26 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,398,593 times
It could be a fungal infection. It can happen after you take antibiotics or have an invasive medical procedure. Candibactin AR and BR are expensive, but they do help get rid of fungal and bacterial overgrowth and they're available over the counter. If you can't afford them, you can try clove tea--steep some whole cloves in hot water for 5-10 minutes.

You may have die-off symptoms when you take these. Taking a little activated charcoal might help.

Try the anti-fungals for a few weeks and see how you feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness