Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 12:37 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times

Advertisements

Itching kept me up for close to 3 hours yesterday!

The weird thing is, I itch a little bit during the day in these spots, (legs, top part of feet, arms, behind the knees...and front of knees NOW!), but in the hours leading up to bedtime, Im not that itchy...

But when I lay down in bed...give it about 30 minutes and I start to get itchy and from there it gets BAD for a couple hours and then dies down for the most part.

Its a very weird itchiness too...example, it usually starts with the top of my feet, I start feeling 'itchy' and I scratch....as soon as ive satisfied that itch, another part of body will immediately need to be itched, this will go on an on! Plus, its not like itching my feet once is good enough...they will start being itchy again after about 10-15 minutes from scratching them.

I thought it may be the laundry soap, but Ive been using fragrance free for awhile and have tried numerous brands of soap, nothing really helped.

I then thought maybe I was itching from getting too warm under the covers, so I stopped using a blanket...nope, still the same.

I do not have bed bugs either, we checked for that and do check periodically to make sure they are not the cause.

I have to get this under control, Im only getting 3-4 hours sleep a night and its been tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 12:54 AM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
More likely some allergies. Maybe you should see an allergist doctor for testing. You could be having a reaction to foods, medicines, or flora and fauna which the allergist should be able to help you with.

Old 04-29-2021, 01:36 AM

1,148 posts, read 864,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

The weird thing is, I itch a little bit during the day in these spots, (legs, top part of feet, arms, behind the knees...and front of knees NOW!), but in the hours leading up to bedtime, Im not that itchy...

But when I lay down in bed...give it about 30 minutes and I start to get itchy and from there it gets BAD for a couple hours and then dies down for the most part.

Its a very weird itchiness too...example, it usually starts with the top of my feet, I start feeling 'itchy' and I scratch....as soon as ive satisfied that itch, another part of body will immediately need to be itched, this will go on an on! Plus, its not like itching my feet once is good enough...they will start being itchy again after about 10-15 minutes from scratching them.

I thought it may be the laundry soap, but Ive been using fragrance free for awhile and have tried numerous brands of soap, nothing really helped.

I then thought maybe I was itching from getting too warm under the covers, so I stopped using a blanket...nope, still the same.

I do not have bed bugs either, we checked for that and do check periodically to make sure they are not the cause.

I have to get this under control, Im only getting 3-4 hours sleep a night and its been tough.
You don't mention age but as we get older our skin starts getting dry and itchy. Moisturizing cream can be helpful.

If you are an atopic individual that has many allergies or a history of allergies then it might be an allergy to something like dust mites. People put allergy mattress covers.

There's a couple of more concerning medical conditions that can give itchy skin like bile salts associated with liver cholestasis or with lymphoma. There's some others not worth mentioning her because they more extensive symptoms. There's also the skin parasites but it sound like all you have is itching nail scratching going on.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:07 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
More likely some allergies. Maybe you should see an allergist doctor for testing. You could be having a reaction to foods, medicines, or flora and fauna which the allergist should be able to help you with.
Probably. Your body’s natural antihistamine response weakens at night, so that is when allergic itching often starts up. Unfortunately it can be hard to treat. I have had itchy skin for years with dermatographia during allergy season. It was usually worse in FL than it has been here in IL, but using a good lotion seems to help.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:26 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,335,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I agree with this. I pop an allergy pill when I start feeling itchy and I'm good for a few days.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:56 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
I had an allergen test done within the last year, and had about 8-9 things show up, but none of them are things I could come into contact with in relation to my bed, I will have to check the list again to make sure dust mites are not on there. I also did not know about allergen mattress covers.

Ive tried good moisturizing lotions recently, with mixed results, it helped a couple nights, but others it didnt at all, I also found one night, when I wore socks to bed, my feet didnt itch at all, but the second night, the itching was back! LOL not sure what that means.

Its weird how its only specific parts of my body that itch too.

I am 47 yrs old btw

Old 04-29-2021, 07:08 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times
when was the last time you had a full physical exam and blood tests? if i had nightly itching for months, i would make an appointment with my doctor.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:14 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,222,483 times
I deal with itching also. Generally all over, but the most annoying is my back which is hard to get to. I have a brick fire place with a sharp corner. I use it a lot. I don't moisturize at this point, but it sounds like a good idea. I'm sure my spouse will be happy to accommodate! (ha ha).

Old 04-29-2021, 08:52 AM

4,960 posts, read 2,239,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

I've lived with most of my adult life. As I type this, my underarms and beltline are driving me nuts. Thank you histamines...

I've been taking antihistamines (currently prescription Xyzal) for several years now. It helps a lot. I think I am having this reaction now because I forgot to take my Xyzal last night. Zyrtec is also an antihistamine and there are generics.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:23 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
If it continues for several days, change the bed.

Shower frequently after coming into contact with sasquatches. Tea tree oil can kill fleas.

Witch hazel astringent cleans the skin and helps cool it down.

If you can't sleep, I'd take a shower to remove the flaking skin and other irritants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness