Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 05:03 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

Advertisements

From what I saw in people I knew, any food that you are sensitive to can cause the inflammation. Drs used to advise people to avoid the nightshade family: potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers. Now they say there's not much evidence, but I saw people get rid of their arthritis by getting rid of nightshade vegetables.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/w...de-vegetables/
While there haven’t been any large-scale studies demonstrating this (at least not yet), some diet plans exclude nightshades, claiming that people report feeling better when they don’t eat them.

My own uncle moved to Florida and got rheumatoid arthritis. He soon realized he was sensitive to citrus and so he stopped drinking the fresh orange juice from his trees.

I'd never thought of gluten or wheat but wheat is one of the most common food allergens and allergens cause inflammation.

Rheumatoid arthritis is the most closely linked to allergies, due in part to the immune system’s similar function in bringing about both conditions. Many allergies and types of arthritis involve an irregular immune system response where your body mistakenly identifies a non-threatening pathogen or its own tissues as an invader.

https://www.healthline.com/health/al...ritis#takeaway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 06:46 PM

985 posts, read 541,787 times
I didn't even know about all of the ill effects of wheat until about 10 years ago when I met my second wife, who eats ridiculously healthy and spends far to much time researching this kind of thing IMO. Anyway, cutting the wheat out of my diet 90% made a huge positive overall difference in my joint pain, energy levels and even cognitive function. We even go so far as to limit the amount of wheat our young children intake. Wheat is extremely inflammatory and the wheat that we eat now is not the same wheat that we ate 200 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
You may have mis-interpreted my post. I'm agreeing that there may be pts with an inflammatory arthritis that don't meet the "official" criteria for celiac disease but who would nonetheless benefit from wheat/gluten restriction. It seems to have worked for you, but you are probably in a minority...It's chepa and harmless to try, so worth a try... I am saying that if it seems to work but takes less than a couple days to see the effect, it probably isn't working. Inflammation takes a few days to subside after its stimulus is removed.
It took about 3 weeks for me to see and feel the positive effects. But prior, I was eating a lot of pizza and pasta and very few fruits and veggies.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:59 PM

985 posts, read 541,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
It's possible that gluten is not the problem. Arthritis organizations have been advising arthritis sufferers for many years to avoid or restrict refined carbs---bread, pasta, bagels, muffins, etc.

Why do they say this?

These foods are similar to foods with added sugars. They hit the bloodstream quickly and spike blood sugar. Elevated blood sugar creates an inflammatory response = joint pain. This happens quickly and could explain why the OP's pain quickly returned.

In addition to lower gluten, real sourdough bread has a lower glycemic index than commercial wheat products. There is a simple way to determine if refined carbs are causing or contributing to your arthritis pain. Eliminate them for a couple of weeks or more, and then add back in to see what happens.
I can still take in plenty of sugary treats with no ill effects. Fruit has plenty of sugar (though the sugar in fruit is bound up in fiber and is distributed into your blood stream at a much slower rate thereby stabilizing my blood sugar levels) and is a staple of my diet. Apples in particular give me boost and further, allow me to eat ice cream or my beloved snickers bars later in the day with no ill effects like feeling tired and crabby. If I dont have my fruit in the morning I start to feel tired and run down around 3pm.

Old 04-06-2023, 06:51 AM

547 posts, read 328,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
From what I saw in people I knew, any food that you are sensitive to can cause the inflammation. Drs used to advise people to avoid the nightshade family: potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers. Now they say there's not much evidence, but I saw people get rid of their arthritis by getting rid of nightshade vegetables.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/w...de-vegetables/
While there haven’t been any large-scale studies demonstrating this (at least not yet), some diet plans exclude nightshades, claiming that people report feeling better when they don’t eat them.

My own uncle moved to Florida and got rheumatoid arthritis. He soon realized he was sensitive to citrus and so he stopped drinking the fresh orange juice from his trees.

I'd never thought of gluten or wheat but wheat is one of the most common food allergens and allergens cause inflammation.

Rheumatoid arthritis is the most closely linked to allergies, due in part to the immune system’s similar function in bringing about both conditions. Many allergies and types of arthritis involve an irregular immune system response where your body mistakenly identifies a non-threatening pathogen or its own tissues as an invader.

https://www.healthline.com/health/al...ritis#takeaway

when i had RA msm supplement and fried foods were two things that aggravated things

Old 04-06-2023, 08:35 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Wasn't the Father of Medicine simply brilliant when he said:

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." --Hippocrates

As many posts on this thread and other diet-health threads report and experience, often times our "cure" for many diseases starts and ends with what is on the other end of our forks, spoons--or chopsticks!!

Just thinking about:

-heart disease
-obesity
-arthritis
-diabetes (some types)
-high blood pressure (some forms)
-asthma (some forms)
-dental caries and gum diseases

Old 04-06-2023, 10:34 AM

547 posts, read 328,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Wasn't the Father of Medicine simply brilliant when he said:

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." --Hippocrates

As many posts on this thread and other diet-health threads report and experience, often times our "cure" for many diseases starts and ends with what is on the other end of our forks, spoons--or chopsticks!!

Just thinking about:

-heart disease
-obesity
-arthritis
-diabetes (some types)
-high blood pressure (some forms)
-asthma (some forms)
-dental caries and gum diseases

you are so right! one thing different now is that our food is largely debased because of the farming methods. this is one of the compelling reasons for using supplements alongside a healthy diet.

the more one learns about this stuff the whole design of humans/earth's life becomes awe inspiring. our medicine grows in our fields!

Old 04-06-2023, 12:46 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I am saying that if it seems to work but takes less than a couple days to see the effect, it probably isn't working. Inflammation takes a few days to subside after its stimulus is removed.
You can have a reduction in pain like the OP reported and still have chronic inflammation. I didn't see a timeline mentioned, but reducing pain can happen within a couple of days of switching to anti-inflammatory foods and eliminating pro-inflammatory foods.

Chronic inflammation takes months or even years to eliminate completely. Or you may never eliminate it and just manage it better with diet and other lifestyle factors.

Old 04-06-2023, 05:52 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
you are so right! one thing different now is that our food is largely debased because of the farming methods. this is one of the compelling reasons for using supplements alongside a healthy diet.

the more one learns about this stuff the whole design of humans/earth's life becomes awe inspiring. our medicine grows in our fields!
Yes! You're right on! And the Native Americans (and modern day herbalists) know how to find the right plant to cure a particular illness.

I understand that some modern day pharmaceuticals and some OTC nosturms are made partially from natural sources such as plants. Aspirin, for one, made partially from willow bark...

Old 04-06-2023, 07:22 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yes! You're right on! And the Native Americans (and modern day herbalists) know how to find the right plant to cure a particular illness.

I understand that some modern day pharmaceuticals and some OTC nosturms are made partially from natural sources such as plants. Aspirin, for one, made partially from willow bark...
No, aspirin is not made partially from willow bark. One of the chemical components of willow bark is salicin, and salacylic acid, which are -similar- to cetylsalacylic acid. Aspirin is made with cetylsalacylic acid, which is manufactured in a laboratory.

Old 04-09-2023, 02:05 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I'm guessing you have osteoarthritis? I have psoriatic arthritis and went gluten free for 3 years. It neither stopped it, nor stopped it's progression.

But I'm glad it worked for you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness