U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2008, 11:21 AM
 
7,048 posts, read 15,993,986 times
Reputation: 4408

Advertisements

Anyone out there in CD Land wear Progressive glasses? How long did it take your eyes to get use to them? First pair of glasses? Ever wear bifocal glasses?

Well, after 52 years of 20-20 vision, I now have to wear glasses! I have a pair of Progressive lens glasses that also have Transition for sunlight and anti-glare. I was told that the Progressive type are more modern than the old bifocal type that have lines going thru the lens. Only thing is, I have to turn my head side-to-side to read things on the computer when I them on. If I put on my old reading glasses, I can read everything on the computer screen without turning my head side-to-side. Watching TV is perfect for me know, but this turning my head side-to-side to read a computer screen has got me wondering about these Progressive glasses.
Talked to my eye doctor's assistant this morning, at their office, and was told that bifocals are no longer popular. Was also told that my eyes would adjust to wearing these Progressive ones. I sure hope so, or wife and I just spent $178 on these glasses that are/aren't really helping. Just don't know.
Please, some suggestions/comments PLEASE!!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2008, 11:38 AM
 
2,833 posts, read 9,606,204 times
Reputation: 1651
I tried them once and returned them the next day. Very impractical if you ask me! And driving is the same...you have to actually turn your head in the direction you are looking. I hated them and just got my rrgular distance glasses and buy readers for close up stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2008, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Pikeville, Ky.
13,459 posts, read 21,205,608 times
Reputation: 17675
I have been wearing my progressive lenses for years..Never did wear bifoculs..I adjusted very fast, like one complete day..They told me to see an object in the distance to slightly lower my head and use the top third of my glasses for objects beyond my arm length, head straight, eyes straight ahead and head slightly raised to read from the lower part of your lenses. I am so used to my glasses and using them that when I saw that you had to turn your head from side to side then I was observant of myself..Yes, I do, but I must be used to it..I think regular bifoculs add to a persons age and Lord knows I need all the help I can get
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2008, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,077 posts, read 3,799,297 times
Reputation: 845
LOL.

I should have gotten progressives a couple of years ago, but heard all the different pros and cons, so went with an updated version for short-sightedness.

Then I couldn't see the darn computer!

So just purchased a new, funky pair and had my older prescription used .. one that I can see everything well.

Then had an old pair made into progressives .. just incase .. as they're expensive.

Must admit, I only put the progressives on if I can't find the other pair .. and then everything's kind of wonky and wavy. But, I could get used to them I'm sure.

I'm just vain enough that I like how my new glasses, with my old prescription .. look!

But, will use the progressives for working as it gets real old continually taking them off to write, put them on for the computer, etc.

And the other old pair that I had made into the newest prescription for seeing long distance, I'll don when at the wheel, driving on long trips .. because I can see better with them for night driving.

Do you own a man purse by chance?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2008, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Catonsville, MD
2,358 posts, read 5,339,798 times
Reputation: 1670
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my progressives. For 30 years I wore contacts for my near sightedness until I could no longer read things. Then I tried the reading glasses thing, but I could never find them when I needed them. So I got my progressives and it's like a curtain was lifted. It took me about an hour to get used to them. The thing that took me the most to get used to was turning my head totally in the direction of where I needed to look (instead of moving my eyes.) But once I got used to that, I love them! Since the day I got my progressives, I haven't once used my contacts again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2008, 03:22 PM
 
7,048 posts, read 15,993,986 times
Reputation: 4408
The "age" thing, you are so, so RIGHT there!! I'm wearing them more and more now and it looks like my eyes ARE ajusting to them. Boy, I go outside with the glasses on and EVERYTHING looks so clear!! Either these glasses are super clean or my eyes REALLY did need these glasses (I think my eyes needed them). It just feels so darn weird wearing glasses now, after 59 1/2 years of not (except readers off and on for the past 7)!


Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I have been wearing my progressive lenses for years..Never did wear bifoculs..I adjusted very fast, like one complete day..They told me to see an object in the distance to slightly lower my head and use the top third of my glasses for objects beyond my arm length, head straight, eyes straight ahead and head slightly raised to read from the lower part of your lenses. I am so used to my glasses and using them that when I saw that you had to turn your head from side to side then I was observant of myself..Yes, I do, but I must be used to it..I think regular bifoculs add to a persons age and Lord knows I need all the help I can get
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2008, 03:25 PM
 
7,048 posts, read 15,993,986 times
Reputation: 4408
Cool!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my progressives. For 30 years I wore contacts for my near sightedness until I could no longer read things. Then I tried the reading glasses thing, but I could never find them when I needed them. So I got my progressives and it's like a curtain was lifted. It took me about an hour to get used to them. The thing that took me the most to get used to was turning my head totally in the direction of where I needed to look (instead of moving my eyes.) But once I got used to that, I love them! Since the day I got my progressives, I haven't once used my contacts again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2008, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Maine
566 posts, read 1,256,151 times
Reputation: 680
I have progressive lenses also. It took me a week or two to get used to them. I agree about the wavy way things look if you don't turn your head instead of your eyes to look at things. Now that I have them, I love them. I better love them...a lot...$398.00 will make me love them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2008, 06:26 AM
 
7,048 posts, read 15,993,986 times
Reputation: 4408
Yes, thank God for vision insurance (wife's work). My eye exam was $209 but I only paid $30. My Progressive glasses total cost was $751, but I only paid $178. Like yourself, with what we paid, I WILL get use to wearing these glasses and like them!! Eyes are still getting use to them, but I just can't believe how clear things are outside when I have them on. Sure beats the heck out of using reading glasses (off and on all the time).


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstlouis View Post
I have progressive lenses also. It took me a week or two to get used to them. I agree about the wavy way things look if you don't turn your head instead of your eyes to look at things. Now that I have them, I love them. I better love them...a lot...$398.00 will make me love them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2008, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood, DE and beautiful SXM!
12,054 posts, read 19,651,108 times
Reputation: 31734
I have worn progressives for years and had a lot of trouble at first. When I told my eye doctor that I was having trouble seeing with them, he somehow compressed the prescription. I don't know what it is called, but your doctor will. Once that was done, I have had no problem. If you move or switch doctors, you need to tell the new doc about this also. It is quite common, but I don't know why it isn't always done. It also allows me to have a smaller lens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top