Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 03:00 PM

350 posts, read 1,117,451 times

Advertisements

When I was an adolescent (I'm 53 now)... a friend had a little brown jug that had mercury in it. It was liquid metal, and we would pour it out and watch it separate, we'd pick it up and try to hold it... how stupid! We did this every once in a while.. would that cause any health problems many years down the line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 04:01 PM

350 posts, read 4,158,349 times
My mother often talks about the same thing--as a child they would take the mercury out of broken thermometers and roll it around in their hands. She's in her 60's now and is fine. But there were lots of dangerous things back then--the shoe stores that x-rayed your feet in the shoes to see if they fit also comes to mind as another danger that was not known about.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:26 PM

Okay, good. There were a lot of dangerous things.. I'm surprised we made it!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:47 PM

8 posts, read 65,783 times
I played with mercury when I was a kid as well, and thought it was no big deal until a local school evacuated everyone and called in a haz-mat team because a glass thermometer broke and leaked mercury. Overkill? Perhaps, but at almost 40 (give me a few days,) I thought it would be worth more investigation. Especially since I've been dealing with Multiple Sclerosis for 17 1/2 years and was shocked to learn that some of the effects of mercury mimic some of the symptoms I deal with. I am now working on detoxifying my system and have more good days than bad.

In my research, I learned the vapors are more damaging than physical contact, though neither are good.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:22 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
I worked with a guy who grew up in Oxnard Ca. He told me there used to be large blobs of mercury on the ground around his neighborhood and all the neighborhood kids would pick up hand fulls and throw it at each other ! He said lots of it got in his mouth. Yuck ! Tuna has a high mercury content and I won't eat it anymore, thanks to SARDINES I don't have to give up all my "tuna" recipes. I just substitute Reeses Boneless and Skinless Sardine Fillets for the tuna. More good Omega oils and 40 times less mercury than Albacore.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:20 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,169,437 times
I recently turned 62 yrs old and I remember breaking thermometers and playing with mercury. All the kids did it. It was especialy fun to rub it on coins and make them nice and shiny.
I must have absorbed some and now it is effecting me. My whiskers are white and my hair is starting to get grey. Other than that, I haven't noticed much as far as consequences.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:33 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momojojo View Post
When I was an adolescent (I'm 53 now)... a friend had a little brown jug that had mercury in it. It was liquid metal, and we would pour it out and watch it separate, we'd pick it up and try to hold it... how stupid! We did this every once in a while.. would that cause any health problems many years down the line?

We've all done stupid things that we had no clue would affect us later.
My dad was a mechanic, products containing benzene were common.
He ended up with a specific cancer from those products, fought 8 months and didn't make it. It was when he hit 65 that he went downhill.

If you have mercury concerns you should get tested.
If you have silver fillings, have them replaced.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:09 AM

I do have silver fillings. I'll check with my dentist. Thanks for the input. I think the mercury made me short & chubby.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:30 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,646,444 times
Aren't you surprised that we aren't all dead! I also did the mercury thing as a kid. we didn't wear seatbelts, mom's smoked and drank when they were pregnant, we did the "cut your finger, blood-brother thing", I can't even think of all of the other dangerous things we did!!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 12:27 PM

92 posts, read 512,359 times
Liquid mercury is poorly absorbed by skin or the digestive tract, so one or two instances of playing with mercury from a thermometer would likely not result in significant absorption of mercury.

Mercury's dangerous forms are mercury vapor, and certain mercury compounds that are more easily absorbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness