Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:17 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,263 times

Advertisements

[quote=HappyTexan;8514913]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post

And there is a new company ready to make lots and lots of money with a "new" vaccine.

Venture capital firm set to reap rewards on swine flu - AOL Money Canada
From your link:

Quote:
"There is an emergency authorization avenue that is available that would allow us to use the vaccine in an emergency without further testing," said Singhvi.
How reassuring. I sincerely hope this is not going to be a repeat of the 1976 debacle.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
i respectfully disagree. new diseases are being introducted frequently to the USA thru our lack of proper immigration enforcement. populations have been decimated by ignoring the threat.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:20 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,495,585 times
[quote=beanandpumpkin;8515093]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

From your link:

How reassuring. I sincerely hope this is not going to be a repeat of the 1976 debacle.
I didnt post that link.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:20 PM

Oh, the quote got mixed up... it was from Happy Texan's link.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i respectfully disagree. new diseases are being introducted frequently to the USA thru our lack of proper immigration enforcement. populations have been decimated by ignoring the threat.
That is why you would see it in NYC, since NYC has La Guardia, JFK and Newark, is one of the most travel places (not only visiting but for connections) it is no surprise to see swine flu here.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
but officially we dont have that vaccine, we do have for influenza and many types of influenza, and because this virus is influenza (but different subtype) we could in theory change the current vaccine to this type.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Yeah..I noticed that one or two posts back..not intentional I'm sure..just a missing bracket I think that sent the whole post haywire

Old 04-25-2009, 07:30 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
There's a big ad campaign here in Oregon because people aren't vaccinating their kids, and killing them from instances of diseases thought almost wiped out (and kids around them not old enough to be vaccinated). Just measles is fatal in up to 28% of cases in places without vaccinations, less the 3% in places that do (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measles) not even close to the same.

Influenza vaccine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is effective against influenza, but not perfect. A study led by Dr. David K. Shay in February, 2008 reported that "full immunization against flu provided about a 75 percent effectiveness rate in preventing hospitalizations from influenza complications in the 2005-6 and 2006-7 influenza seasons."

It's fine what you want to do with your body, but kids don't get to make that choice for themselves when they have to get vaccinated. Don't let your kids die or suffer lifetime complications from diseases that are about eradicated by researchers because of counter information from shysters trying to get you to buy stuff from them and make them money.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
but officially we dont have that vaccine, we do have for influenza and many types of influenza, and because this virus is influenza (but different subtype) we could in theory change the current vaccine to this type.
Do you want to be a guinea pig for a new untested vaccine ?
If, as they are reporting, it's just a "mild" flu then I just may take my chances.

Swine Flu vaccines in the past have had severe side effects not linked to any other flu vaccine.

This happened in 1976 and they rushed to create a vaccine for swine flu....

AROUND THE NATION; U.S. Is Ruled Liable In Swine Flu Inoculation - New York Times

Old 04-25-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
There's a big ad campaign here in Oregon because people aren't vaccinating their kids, and killing them from instances of diseases thought almost wiped out (and kids around them not old enough to be vaccinated). Just measles is fatal in up to 28% of cases in places without vaccinations, less the 3% in places that do (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measles)...that's not even close to the same.

Influenza vaccine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is effective against influenza, but not perfect. A study led by Dr. David K. Shay in February, 2008 reported that "full immunization against flu provided about a 75 percent effectiveness rate in preventing hospitalizations from influenza complications in the 2005-6 and 2006-7 influenza seasons."

It's fine what you want to do with your body, but kids don't get to make that choice for themselves when they have to get vaccinated. Don't let your kids die or suffer lifetime complications from diseases that are about eradicated by researchers because of counter information from shysters trying to get you to buy stuff from them and make them money.
Measles does not have a mortality rate of 28%. Where are you getting that info from? Your link does not work.

The CDC says:

Quote:
For every 1,000 children who get measles, one or two will die from it.
Not 28%, and not 3%.

It goes on to say that

Quote:
In developing countries, where malnutrition and vitamin A deficiency are prevalent, measles has been known to kill as many as one out of four people. It is the leading cause of blindness among African children.
We don't have malnutrition nor vitamin A deficiency here in the USA. Not getting the measles vax in the USA is not teh same as living in substandard conditions with vitamin deficiencies and malnutrition and being exposed to measles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness