Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 12:56 PM

69 posts, read 334,305 times

Advertisements

linnj68

I have a filter in place too, I was wondering if you are having yours removed. I was told I was at risk of a clot for a year. I have also read that the filter can stay and dont need to be removed, I am confused and unsure as to if I should have mine removed or not. Would like to hear from someone who has one and how they feel about it.

Thanks
margie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 01:19 PM

45 posts, read 297,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenyes42 View Post
linnj68

I have a filter in place too, I was wondering if you are having yours removed. I was told I was at risk of a clot for a year. I have also read that the filter can stay and dont need to be removed, I am confused and unsure as to if I should have mine removed or not. Would like to hear from someone who has one and how they feel about it.

Thanks
margie

Hi margie!
The filter is placed and stays for life as far as I know! I have never been told any different and I have read up on it in the past and never read anything about them being removed. In all honesty as I have had a 6 year history now with clots and all that stuff I would say you are much safer with the filter than you are without it! DVT and blood clots are so deadly and sometimes dont even have symptoms until its too late! I would def KEEP the filter!!!

Linda

Old 10-04-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
linnj68

Thanks
margie

Just curious....why did they give you a filter? thats not something that is real typical. I got mine because of my accident and the history I have with my DVT.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:34 PM

41 posts, read 117,045 times
hi all have not been here in a while well up date on me . had ankle hwr on aug 6th i have a bad bone infection so have been on antibiotics and had achilles lenghtening done so foot is flat yeah about time bones not healed waiting on my afo splint right now i'm back in the darth learning how to walk but my leg is so so so shakey and weak so can weight bear with crutches . i just hope infection stays away it has now been 9 months since my car accident ready to get moving but will never have rom again .basically my foot is in a fuse position lucky me so any help on learning to use bl again and balance would help me .. hi nanny hope all is well with you happy healing .. i know i need the luck

Old 10-05-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painfulblueeyes View Post
hi all have not been here in a while well up date on me . had ankle hwr on aug 6th i have a bad bone infection so have been on antibiotics and had achilles lenghtening done so foot is flat yeah about time bones not healed waiting on my afo splint right now i'm back in the darth learning how to walk but my leg is so so so shakey and weak so can weight bear with crutches . i just hope infection stays away it has now been 9 months since my car accident ready to get moving but will never have rom again .basically my foot is in a fuse position lucky me so any help on learning to use bl again and balance would help me .. hi nanny hope all is well with you happy healing .. i know i need the luck
Hi Painful!
Good to see you. Time is the best healer! (i know we hate to hear that crap) hehe! I will pray for you about your injuries and also about your bone infection. That sounds serious!! Yikes. How did the bone get infected? Just curious.
Best wishes to you!
Linda

Old 10-05-2009, 07:35 AM

linnj68

I was in a car accident, broke my femur,tib and fib as well as a small internal injury that did not require any surgery. I lost 4 units of blood, and developed a rapid heartbeat. I had surgery on leg i have 2 rods and 9 screws. after recovery i was placed in my room. Then everything happend really fast I got lots of fluids pushed really fast and 1 unit of blood, My heart was going crazy they gave me meds for that I was then taken to ICU once my heart calmed down then took me to interventional radiology for the filter placement. I was not allowed to sign for the procedure my boyfriend had too. I spend 4 days in icu received 3 more units of blood, devleoped a heart murmer the list goes on. I have a Bard G2 EXpress vena cava filter. I was told it will be removed after I no longer need it, I have also read that it could stay...I work for a medical practice 10 physicans- they run the ICU in two local hopsitals..we have a large private practice with a sleep health center...they are pulmonologist and treat patients with bood clots all the time...I have spoken to several of the dr here who stated that there is not enough research on someone my age 42 for the long term and it could possibility clott off. I as so unsure of what to do I have been thru more enough for a life time let alone a year.

Margie

Old 10-05-2009, 04:45 PM

41 posts, read 117,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnj68 View Post
Hi Painful!
Good to see you. Time is the best healer! (i know we hate to hear that crap) hehe! I will pray for you about your injuries and also about your bone infection. That sounds serious!! Yikes. How did the bone get infected? Just curious.
Best wishes to you!
Linda
the infection has been there since day 1 my old doc ignored my plee that something was not write so went to a new doc and he did surgery to clean it out i am on cipro and they are two very common infections ty for the prayers i need it

Old 10-05-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
linnj68

I was in a car accident, broke my femur,tib and fib as well as a small internal injury that did not require any surgery. I lost 4 units of blood, and developed a rapid heartbeat. I had surgery on leg i have 2 rods and 9 screws. after recovery i was placed in my room. Then everything happend really fast I got lots of fluids pushed really fast and 1 unit of blood, My heart was going crazy they gave me meds for that I was then taken to ICU once my heart calmed down then took me to interventional radiology for the filter placement. I was not allowed to sign for the procedure my boyfriend had too. I spend 4 days in icu received 3 more units of blood, devleoped a heart murmer the list goes on. I have a Bard G2 EXpress vena cava filter. I was told it will be removed after I no longer need it, I have also read that it could stay...I work for a medical practice 10 physicans- they run the ICU in two local hopsitals..we have a large private practice with a sleep health center...they are pulmonologist and treat patients with bood clots all the time...I have spoken to several of the dr here who stated that there is not enough research on someone my age 42 for the long term and it could possibility clott off. I as so unsure of what to do I have been thru more enough for a life time let alone a year.

Margie
Greeb eyes
I see! Wow you went through a lot kiddo! Im so sorry! I have a vena cava filter too. I guess the reason they are leaving mine in is because of my history of blood clots which is not related to my broken leg. Wow, I can't believe that you had all of that happen to you girl! You are strong I will keep you in my prayers. I am doing pretty good as of lately since my surgery to remove 2 screws in the ankle and it has been 8 months since my accident/fall. PS I am 40 ..

Linda

Old 10-05-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painfulblueeyes View Post
the infection has been there since day 1 my old doc ignored my plee that something was not write so went to a new doc and he did surgery to clean it out i am on cipro and they are two very common infections ty for the prayers i need it
My goodness. well i am so glad you got a second opinion! Infections can really cause a lot of problems and even death if left unrtreated! Someone up above is looking out for you

Linda

I promise it will get better.....Just 3 months ago I felt like I was going to be on crutches FOREVER and never stop limping and all that and I was so depressed. It is amazing how much better i am doing since then.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:57 AM

linnj68

It will be 1 year on 11/18, it is getting harder and harder to deal with it all now. I am now driving again and it is getter darker out earlier now which is really hard for me. A lot of my problems are mental as I mean reliving the accident in my dreams and dealing with the differnent things that trigger the memories. I have been really lucky physically I have health with no infections, all of the hardwear is still in place I never never spiked a fever once!! I never had any problems 7 years ago when I broke my other tib and fib that hardwear is still too.

margie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness