Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:26 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
That is just not true. It is against the law to mandate a flu shot.
Not quite correct. The WHO (World Health Organisation) recently decided on this for health care workers and there's been a LOT of opposition to it. Google "mandatory vaccinations" and you'll find a slew of recent information and news articles about many health care worker groups who adamantly oppose such a program.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:34 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Not quite correct. The WHO (World Health Organisation) recently decided on this for health care workers and there's been a LOT of opposition to it. Google "mandatory vaccinations" and you'll find a slew of recent information and news articles about many health care worker groups who adamantly oppose such a program.
The WHO doesn't make law. It makes recommendations. The WHO has no legal or regulatory authority. ANYWHERE.

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-23-2009 at 06:45 AM..

Old 09-23-2009, 06:56 AM

523 posts, read 3,805,684 times
it sounds highly improbable that an employer would have any right to mandate flu vaccinations for employees.

im not quite sure i understand the big opposition though...is it really one of principle, or do you have a phobia or something? to go to the lengths of potentially quitting your job over something as trivial as a flu vaccination doesnt seem like a logical course of action. perhaps if you were up front with your employer about your concerns/fears (even if it might be somewhat embarassing), they might be sympathetic to your exemption from being vaccinated.

free flu vaccinations are supposed to be win/win arrangements for employees and employers alike, not a punishment or imposition. if you work in healthcare or an allied profession, i would have thought an understanding of the benefits of vaccination, and minimisation of risk to other hospital occupants would come with the territory.

bottom line: noone is going to physically restrain you and inject you against your will.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:04 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,553,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I am a healthcare worker. As usual they offer us free vaccination due to our high risk of exposure. No mention of anyone being mandated to vaccinate. Just not true. I work for the biggest health care facility in PA, UPMC.

The WHO makes global recommendations not laws.

Last edited by *Danielle*; 09-23-2009 at 07:14 AM..

Old 09-23-2009, 07:16 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,995 times
I heard on the news the other day that a rather large percentage of HC workers are not going to take the shot so you are not in that boat alone.

The thought occurred to me that my company could try to force them on us also and I am one who do not get the flu shots and am especially afraid of this one until it has been proven (to me) that it is safe. I always end up with extreme side effects of everything I take so I avoid taking anything.. I would probably quit my job if it were mandatory to get it rather than risk taking it. They have offered other flu shots to us free and I just always told them I'd had mine (when I didn't). They also do wellness screenings and there are some that refuse to take those too.

I have to ask, what about all that medical privacy stuff that is in force today? It is nobody's business if you take it or not! A mother can't call a doctors office and change a 18 year olds appointment because of privacy issues, a wife can't stand at the sign in window when her husband signs in for an appointment because of privacy issues (YES, that happened to a family member of mine! ). But an employer has the right to force you to take a new shot that you don't want (and have documentation of it?)? Where's the privacy?

Old 09-23-2009, 07:41 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
You face a long and costly battle if you do decide to sue them. I doubt that if it came down to it, you could be fired. What could happen is that you get removed from a position w/contact with patients or other employees, maybe downgraded in pay. Hospitals have certain proviisons for employees, ex., I had to get HepA and B vaccinations.

I am a healthcare provider and I have always gotten the flu shot. My hospitals have always strongly urged us to get it. I never heard of anyone refusing it so I don't know what ecatly, if anything, they would do.

You do know that there are 2 flu shots this year, the regular seasonal flu and the H1N1, or swine flu, ones? Is it the H1N1 that you object to or both?

Old 09-23-2009, 09:25 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
This sounds odd. I work in a hospital as well and I was never required to get the flu shot. As physicians, we were required to be vaccinated to work in hospitals to protect us and the patient since we have direct contact with them.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:25 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
I am a healthcare worker. As usual they offer us free vaccination due to our high risk of exposure. No mention of anyone being mandated to vaccinate. Just not true. I work for the biggest health care facility in PA, UPMC.

Same here. I work in a hospital and the flu shot has never been mandatory. They do try to pressure people to get the shot by making us fill out a declination form. They also scan the badges of those employees who do decide to get the flu shot.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:33 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
What can I do? They are making the flu shot mandatory. No excuses. I am 100% opposed to the flu shot and do not want toxic chemicals injected into me. Wearing masks for the entire flu season is not an option. It's either submit or be fired.

What can I do? I am losing sleep over this!
An employer cannot fire workers for refusing to get the flu shot. That's about 100 lawsuits just waiting to happen.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:34 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:

It is hospital dependent. Hospitals can mandate that certain employees (nurses and physicians) be vaccinated(Hep B) or else lose priviledges. It is a liability issue and hospitals will enforce these rules to protect themselves. However, I've never heard these mandates applied to the flu shot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness