Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:28 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Aside from the fact that both archeology and ancient histories confirm that human sacrifice existed pretty much everywhere, I would submit that even in the U.S. human sacrifice existed in colonial America, because what else is the burning of witch other than some crazed sacrifice of the human body to expel "evil spirits."
No witches were burned in colonial America. Hanged and crushed, yes. Abraham was instructed to sacrifice his son, before the "just kidding" edict was given. There is reason, even within the insular literature, to think that El might have required human sacrifice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 09:43 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
That is B.S. Most people did NOT practice human sacrifice, especially human
sacrifice of their own kind. The word "holocaust" IS this burnt offering, it is
not "the event" in the 20th century. You can call "the event" whatever you
want, but you can't change the meaning of the word. "Jews" themselves
call it the Shoah. The number 6 million is a total fabrication, it has Kaballistic
significance. They were saying 6 million "Jews" were dying in Tsarist Russia
decades before "the event" happened.
You obviously don't know much about ancient human history. Human sacrifice was ubiquitous among ancient people, including the Jews.

The rest if your post is unintelligible to me. What point are you trying to make?

Old 03-03-2013, 10:36 AM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It doesn't shock me that this kind of stuff goes on. It just saddens me and it scares me. When I was younger and was reading about Anne Frank, and eventually the Holocaust, I had nightmares about it.

There would be no discoveries that would be shocking to me anymore because we have photos of the carnage. I think what shocks me about this is that we are just finding this out, about this particular camp. I learned about Auschwitz, Treblinka, Chelmno, Bergen-Belsen, Sobibor, and some other camps. I didn't even know Brody existed until just now.
Actually, the concentration camps were comparatively humane in their treatment of Jews. About half of all Jews killed were simply taken from their homes, marched to a field, forced to dig a mass grave, lined up along the edge of the pit, and gunned down to fall into the pit.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:49 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Actually, the concentration camps were comparatively humane in their treatment of Jews. About half of all Jews killed were simply taken from their homes, marched to a field, forced to dig a mass grave, lined up along the edge of the pit, and gunned down to fall into the pit.
I don't find being starved to death, frozen to death, or worked to death to be any more humane than getting shot. Just slower.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:40 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,118 times
Quote:
Frankly, I would have preferred a bullet in the head from the Einsatzgruppen in comparison to being worked to death in a concentration camp while the nearby crematoria constantly reminded me of all my loved ones who were being gassed. I can't imagine the courage it has taken for the Holocaust survivors to start a new life after that kind of horror. I don't think I could do it, hence my preference for a bullet to the head.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Actually, the concentration camps were comparatively humane in their treatment
A rather perverted concept of comparative humaneness.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:44 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Yes, that was the major concern of the Nazis, seeing to it that the Jews received humane treatment.

Introducing the relativity argument here seems devoid of any utility. If I broke into your home, incapacitated you and made you watch while I raped and killed your wife, that would be cruelty. That instead I took her into a different room so that you didn't have to watch her being raped and killed would be "comparatively humane" in the light of the first scenario, but by no means humane. Would that second scenario in any manner ameliorate the punishment I deserve? Make you hate me any less?

Old 03-03-2013, 01:05 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
If I broke into your home...
You are a teenaged girl. I take your mother and father. I kill your mother and father outright, turn you into a prostitute and sell you to our specialized sadist client list and then stop feeding or clothing you after you've past your prime. Now remind me which is more humane?

Old 03-03-2013, 01:13 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
You are a teenaged girl. I take your mother and father. I kill your mother and father outright, turn you into a prostitute and sell you to our specialized sadist client list and then stop feeding or clothing you after you've past your prime. Now remind me which is more humane?
Ovcatto, I think Grandstander AGREED with you and disagreed with the other poster's "comparatively humane" statements.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:18 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Amazing how in 1944 with the Red Army at the doorstep Eichmann was able to devote priority over the German railways to deportations rather than troops and material to the eastern front. It staggers the mind.
Perhaps we should be a small bit thankful that even at the end killing the undesirable was valued over saving your own from defeat. I honestly wonder if the Nazi's had been willing to use the resources they had to hold their ground and be content with more slowly depopulating the continent of its undesirables if the war would have been won. One of the major problems for the German army even early on was availablility of train cars to transport soldiers to battle.

If they'd had more time they would have managed to wipe out all but he 'pure' and much would remain buried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History