Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 03:05 PM

98 posts, read 95,191 times

Advertisements

If European explorers never settled in America, what would of happened throughout the course of history as a result? What would of happened in terms of the spread of democracy, industrial revolution, rise of nationalism, world wars, and spread of communism? I know that America and none of us Americans would be existing right now, but try to look at all of the other aspects as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 03:11 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Who knows. That’s a big what if?

You are essentially rewriting hundreds of years worth of history.

My take is that someone else would have eventually discovered and probably colonized the world. Perhaps native Americans would have come to Europe.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:24 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbioman23 View Post
If European explorers never settled in America, what would of happened throughout the course of history as a result?
Everything would have been different, different people would have been born, you and I probably not. Since everything would be different, we cannot possibly hope to predict what would have happened. All we really can do is predict that some things which did happen, now most likely would not have happened. Like...if European settlers had never settled America, there probably would never have been "The Beverly Hillbillies" Tv show.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:21 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
If European explorers never settled in America, what would of happened throughout the course of history as a result? What would of happened in terms of the spread of democracy, industrial revolution, rise of nationalism, world wars, and spread of communism? I know that America and none of us Americans would be existing right now, but try to look at all of the other aspects as well.
You mean like, if instead aliens from Mars colonized North America? Or, the message on maps for unexplored territories "here be dragons" were an actual fact of life.

No one can really answer your question outside of a other worldly fantasy episode as there is just no scenario where exploration of the new lands would have not occured given the historical context. Maybe a century before, maybe a century after, it would have occurred. You almost have to recreate your "what ifs" to give it more of a logical context - what if the indigenous population built up it's technology to enable it to fight off European colonization? What if Japan or China in the east likewise became world powers, built up it's sea faring technology to colonize and claim America first? What if America was the source of contagious desieses that in turn wiped out visiting Europeans?

Old 06-24-2019, 09:34 AM

8,488 posts, read 6,891,592 times
What if the History Forum never had a what if question? Inquiring minds seek answers.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:03 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
The Japanese would have arrived.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:23 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,562,051 times
Quote:
If European explorers never settled in America, what would of happened.. What would of happened in terms of the spread of democracy, industrial revolution, rise of nationalism, world wars, and spread of communism? I know that America and none of us Americans would be existing right now, but try to look at all of the other aspects as well.
Big, I think it's an interesting hypothetical.. with an easy answer in my opinion.
When you look at primitive tribes, around the globe.. (who came in to heavy contact with Europeans after 15th & 16th Century European exploration & colonization). Inland Amazon, inland Africa, some Pacific Islanders etc.. none of them were/are moving toward industrialization. Left to their own life styles, I believe most American Indian tribes would have sustained ancient, 'primitive' life styles. Industrialization & Enlightenment philosophy were part of the European arc of development that was/still is impressed upon Indians before they were ready for it, or desired it.. Again, just my opinion.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:56 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
The Japanese would have arrived.
No way. Japan wasn't big on exploration, colonization, or sea-faring (except for pirating off the Chinese coast) and had an isolationist culture. Plus they were often waring with themselves.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:33 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
The buffalo would be a lot happier and we'd have no highways and polluted air...

Old 06-24-2019, 12:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Huge continent sparsely populated
Alaska minus Fairbanks and juneau
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History