Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:57 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times

Advertisements

I'd like to see more about the Armenian genocide too. It was around 1915, if I recall correctly, so it was more or less upstaged by WW1. But over a million people were killed simply because the were Armenian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 01:43 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I'd like to see more about the Armenian genocide too. It was around 1915, if I recall correctly, so it was more or less upstaged by WW1. But over a million people were killed simply because the were Armenian.
Certainly one of the more forgotten atrocities of the last 150 years.

Pol Pot already had the Killing Fields, Rwanda had Hotel Rwanda, there's been many films on the Holocaust, but I've yet to see a mainstream (or major arthouse) film that tackled the issue of the Armenian genocide.

I have many Armenian friends and they are all quite affected by the genocide, most of them lost grandparents/great-grandparents in the horrors of the genocide.

Then again, it would be really cool to see a movie that's about any nation's history. Like a film about Bhutan or Brunei, I'd totally love to see that.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:53 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
More tired anti-semitic swill and garbage. Again, this is nothing but re-gurgitated nazi propaganda. You must be a real piece of work.
Wow. This takes the cake for kneejerk responses. Hollywood was riddled with apologists for Stalin during the 30s.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:38 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Certainly one of the more forgotten atrocities of the last 150 years.

Pol Pot already had the Killing Fields, Rwanda had Hotel Rwanda, there's been many films on the Holocaust, but I've yet to see a mainstream (or major arthouse) film that tackled the issue of the Armenian genocide.

I have many Armenian friends and they are all quite affected by the genocide, most of them lost grandparents/great-grandparents in the horrors of the genocide.

Then again, it would be really cool to see a movie that's about any nation's history. Like a film about Bhutan or Brunei, I'd totally love to see that.

I remember seeing this film a few years back. Ararat (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's actually about a present-day Armenian-Canadian attempting to make a film about the Armenian genocide. Although it is a work of fiction, it does deal with alot of the historical details of the period. While not an outstanding film, it is proabably the only feature length film I can think of to deal with this subject.

Last edited by Deezus; 11-09-2009 at 06:02 PM..

Old 11-09-2009, 09:36 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Quote:
I don't think it's accurate to describe the Armenian Genocide as being "upstaged" by World War I, mostly because it was a part of and intristically linked to WWI. The mass killings of Armenian civilians was committed for strategic purposes on the part of the Ottoman military, rather than racial or religious reasons. Rather, the Armenians, followers of the Armenian Orthodox Church and Eastern religion, which was naturally bound to the Russian Orthodox Church and the Russian government, favored separatism from the Ottoman Empire and thus committed acts of sabotage, espionage, and guerrilla warfare from within to benefit the Russian Empire's position. Constantinople/Istanbul was not about to let this go unchallenged when they were in the midst of fighting a war for the survival of their empire on two fronts (against the Russians in the Caucasus and against the British/French/ANZAC in Gallipoli and the Middle East), and thus, plans to "deal" with the local Armenian population were formulated.

This was a strategic war decision, but following the end of WWI and the Turkish War of Independence in which Mustafa Kemal led the national resistance to the Allied-mandated Treaty of Sévres, plans for further Armenian expansion in the region were curtailed and the killings largely ignored for the sake of diplomatic relations with what was now the Republic of Turkey, still a formidable regional power. The silence was deafening to those were aware of the killings/ethnic cleansings so much so that it prompted the famous quote attributed to Adolf Hitler, "Who now speaks of the Armenians?".

Old 11-09-2009, 10:53 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Yes, it was linked to WW1, of course. What I mean is that the events on the Western Front were more publicized in the the USA. I certainly didn't mean to say that it was unimportant in any way, nor do I pretend to understand the workings of why it happened. That simply reinforces the point I was making: I've read a lot about WW1, but the Armenian genocide is mentioned only in passing most of the time. I would potulate that even if a considerable number of Armenians were involved in sabotage, etc, that hardly justifies killing 1½ million or so of them.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:16 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Quote:
Yes, it was linked to WW1, of course. What I mean is that the events on the Western Front were more publicized in the the USA. I certainly didn't mean to say that it was unimportant in any way, nor do I pretend to understand the workings of why it happened. That simply reinforces the point I was making: I've read a lot about WW1, but the Armenian genocide is mentioned only in passing most of the time. I would potulate that even if a considerable number of Armenians were involved in sabotage, etc, that hardly justifies killing 1½ million or so of them.
This is similar to a debate I was having with another poster about German actions in WWII. Now, I am not of Turkish descent, I have never been to Turkey, and thus I have no dog in this fight. However, for the sake of objectivity:

You say "I would potulate that even if a considerable number of Armenians were involved in sabotage, etc, that hardly justifies killing 1½ million or so of them"

Justification is all relative. The Ottoman Turks arose out of Central Asia, defeated the Greeks (Byzantines), held off the Mongols, and had managed to forge an empire that encompassed all of the Arab world through to southern Europe, at one point extending to the gates of Vienna. Now they were watching it slipping away as they were being attacked on all fronts. Tolerance toward the Armenian population in the Ottoman Empire was long-standing and as "People of the Book", Armenian Orthodox Christians were considered worthy subjects by most Ottoman viziers and Islamic scholars in Constantinople. The Armenian actions, committed to aid Russia, came across as deep treachery and at this point, there was an "anything goes" mentality (similar to Germany at the end of WWII) as the Ottomans were starting to lose badly and were willing to do whatever neccessary to prevent that fate from being realized. This determination was again evident even after the war was lost. Turkey was the only Central Power of WWI to have its peace treaty/terms of surrender (the Treaty of Sévres) successfully overturned by force after the war.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:34 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,357,099 times
The Japanese occupation of the Aleutian Islands during WWII.

Only came across this mentioned in a travel book recently. Were American citizens captured by the Japanese? What happened to them? Did the US take a deliberate decision not to defend them the same way the British allowed the Germans to occupy the Channel Islands i.e. because they were considered to be undefendable?

And did the Japanese make much play of their having occupied US territory?

Old 12-26-2009, 09:54 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
The Battle of Blue Licks, one of the last major engagement of the Revolutionary War fought ten months after Cornwallis' surrender, in which 50 British troops and 300 Indians routed 182 Kentuckians, 72 of them killed including a son of Daniel Boone's. It was probably the last British victory of the war.

Actually, to expand this a bit, I think the history of the Frontier West prior to the end of the Civil War (with the exception of the California Gold Rush) has not been covered all that much. A book I really enjoyed on this was "The Civil War in the American West" by Alvin M. Josephy.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 12-26-2009 at 10:08 AM..

Old 12-26-2009, 12:23 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
The Japanese occupation of the Aleutian Islands during WWII.

Only came across this mentioned in a travel book recently. Were American citizens captured by the Japanese? What happened to them? Did the US take a deliberate decision not to defend them the same way the British allowed the Germans to occupy the Channel Islands i.e. because they were considered to be undefendable?

And did the Japanese make much play of their having occupied US territory?
Agreed, very little is out there about it. We had a very tough time due to the terrain and the lack of preparedness to fight in such an inhospitable area. In fact, more Americans were put out of action by frostbite and extreme cold then by the Japanese.

Another forgotten campaign of WWII is the fighting by the British 14th Army in China/Burma/India ... there were some American forces involved as well (Merrill's Mauraders, the pilots who flew flights over "the Hump" of the Himalayas to resupply the Chinese, etc). It seems that the fighting in the Southwest Pacific region (ex. in New Guinea) is also not that well known either ... probably because like the CBI campaign it was primarily fought by Australians, Dutch, and British/British Empire troops and not Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History