Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:49 AM

900 posts, read 673,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Angus--I think your concern for the fate of black people is a farce. If it were real you would not be consumed with what happened in the past. Instead you would be spending your time and energy convincing the black youth of today that they should do things like stay in school and to stop gang banging. Stop killing each other over petty things like what color doo rag they wear. Convince them that they cant all get rich rapping about slappin hos and *******. Convince them that gold chains,gold grills and spinning rims wont secure them or their family a brighter future. Convince them that they cant all be Kobe Bryant or Lisa Leslie. So they should concentrate on the books as well as the ball. Convince the young black men that fatherhood is a real possibilty when they insist on bagging as many women as they can and that being "babies daddy" isnt the same as being a father. You should convince the young black women not to put up with just being another link in his long chain of "baby mamas." You should be telling black men that there are far too many of them on "the down low" and that this behavior is causing an AIDS epidemic within the black community. Convince them to pay attention to the teachings,wisdoms and criticisms of people like Dr. Bill Cosby. Who offer not only constructive criticism, but solutions also. Trouble is, in order to follow the advice of people like Dr. Cosby, you'll have to first admit to yourselves that not everything wrong within black society today is the result of how black people were treated 150 years ago.

Progress!!! At least you've stopped calling them 'colored folks'!

The rest of your post is meaningless 'feel good' crap, put forth to try and convince somebody that you really care.

Anybody who doesn't understand the impact of history on today's world, and who still refers to African-Americans as 'colored' is obviously somebody I'm going to listen to when it comes to race relations and the plight of black people.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
The majority of what you have written here is deliberate mischaracterization and twisting (i.e. lying by selective means), and doesn't deserve dissection except to say so. People who do this usually hope to get the other person so bogged down in correcting the mischaracterizations that they have no time for anything else, thus tending to attach to them the value that they lack in their own right. That's pointless and unproductive. When you decide to adopt intellectual integrity as a stance, kindly make an announcement to that effect and we can start anew.
An absolutely accurate characterization of your position. And when challenged on it, you immediately jumped to the attack mode. You simply have far more in common with the Revisionists than you care to admit.

Next time, drop the pretense of neutrality and objective reasoning. The only thing necessary for anybody to destroy it is to challenge your 'all-knowing wisdom', which I did.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:08 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Progress!!! At least you've stopped calling them 'colored folks'!

The rest of your post is meaningless 'feel good' crap, put forth to try and convince somebody that you really care.

Anybody who doesn't understand the impact of history on today's world, and who still refers to African-Americans as 'colored' is obviously somebody I'm going to listen to when it comes to race relations and the plight of black people.
My grandfather once told me "if you were walking down the street and came upon an idiot arguing with a genius, you wouldnt be able to tell which was which." Having said that, I think I'll stop feeding your idiocy now.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:20 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
My grandfather once told me "if you were walking down the street and came upon an idiot arguing with a genius, you wouldnt be able to tell which was which." Having said that, I think I'll stop feeding your idiocy now.
We can learn a lot from our grandfathers. I'm going to learn from yours.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:22 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
We can learn a lot from our grandfathers. I'm going to learn from yours.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:04 PM

Gee, I'm crushed. You mean I'll no longer be able to hear words of wisdom from Cap'n Dan? Oh no Miz Scarlett, whatever will ah do?

And as for the Klan expert, gosh darn it, I'll miss you. One little pin burst your balloon and now you don't want to play any more. I'm sad, but I'll get over it.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:06 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Gee, I'm crushed. You mean I'll no longer be able to hear words of wisdom from Cap'n Dan? Oh no Miz Scarlett, whatever will ah do?

And as for the Klan expert, gosh darn it, I'll miss you. One little pin burst your balloon and now you don't want to play any more. I'm sad, but I'll get over it.
Funny thing is, he thinks he wins. Brick wall syndrome strikes again. Worst poster ever. Where's that ignore button?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:16 PM

Et tu, Johnny Reb? Oh no, pretty soon I'll have no Rebel Revisionists to play with at all!

Just remember, it's OK with me if you secede, just no more slaves!

Old 10-22-2009, 09:31 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Funny thing is, he thinks he wins. Brick wall syndrome strikes again. Worst poster ever. Where's that ignore button?
Actually what's funnier is that he must have heard the term "revisionist" used at some point by someone who actually knew how to apply the term and thinks it's some teflon defense for everything regarding the topic...

Statement: "There was question as to the legality of secession."

Answer: "You're a revisionist."

Statement: "Over 80% of Southerners did not own slaves."

Answer: "You just think that because you're a revisionist."

You can throw any fact regarding the war out there and he'll call it "revisionist" without ever having to address the point....

He thinks it's clever, but it's the equivelent of him covering his ears and going, "LA LA LA LA LA I'M NOT LISTENING!!!! LALALALALALALA!!!!"

Old 10-22-2009, 10:31 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,376 times
OK.. I think this Thread has degenerated to a point beyond redemption..
CLOSED
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History