Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:00 PM

294 posts, read 412,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What reasons did Blacks have for fighting for the Confederates? Did the confederate states promise to end slavery if they won?
I'm not sure. Good question. I've read yrs. ago that the CSA banned the importing of slaves into their states. Maybe someone here can anwser why blacks fought for the confederates?

Old 10-10-2009, 09:15 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1974 View Post
I'm not sure. Good question. I've read yrs. ago that the CSA banned the importing of slaves into their states. Maybe someone here can anwser why blacks fought for the confederates?
As I said on a previous post....when the Civil War was started, it had NOTHING to do with slavery!! It had to do with tax issues. The south was more rural, therefore, had less votes in Washington in tax/political issues. The slavery issue came later in the war. Therefore, the slaves at the time, felt the north was their enemy...not their emancipators. That is junk that comes up in the minds of people decades later. You have to read the REAL history to see what happened and why.

Now, as in all things, I think God took a really bad war and make something good of it.....the freedom of slaves. But the war itself was never about this. It only became an issue later on for political reasons.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
As I said on a previous post....when the Civil War was started, it had NOTHING to do with slavery!! It had to do with tax issues. The south was more rural, therefore, had less votes in Washington in tax/political issues. The slavery issue came later in the war. Therefore, the slaves at the time, felt the north was their enemy...not their emancipators. That is junk that comes up in the minds of people decades later. You have to read the REAL history to see what happened and why.

Now, as in all things, I think God took a really bad war and make something good of it.....the freedom of slaves. But the war itself was never about this. It only became an issue later on for political reasons.
I saw that after I had posted.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:29 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,810,192 times
Default Maryland

Then take Maryland. It was a slave-holding state but because it was with the Union, it was not included in the abolition. Among the population, Condefederate sympathies were strong.
In fact, an old Confederate battle hymn was adopted as the Maryland state anthem in 1939, with the words and all:
The despot's heel is on thy shore,
Maryland!
His torch is at thy temple door,
Maryland!
Avenge the patriotic gore
That flecked the streets of Baltimore,
And be the battle queen of yore,
Maryland! My Maryland!

I hear the distant thunder-hum,
Maryland!
The Old Line's bugle, fife, and drum,
Maryland!
She is not dead, nor deaf, nor dumb-
Huzza! she spurns the Northern scum!
She breathes! she burns! she'll come! she'll come!
Maryland! My Maryland!

This still is the official Maryland anthem, sung to the tune of O Tannenbaum. More about this convoluted history in http://anteropietila.com

Old 10-10-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
Then take Maryland. It was a slave-holding state but because it was with the Union, it was not included in the abolition. Among the population, Condefederate sympathies were strong.
In fact, an old Confederate battle hymn was adopted as the Maryland state anthem in 1939, with the words and all:
The despot's heel is on thy shore,
Maryland!
His torch is at thy temple door,
Maryland!
Avenge the patriotic gore
That flecked the streets of Baltimore,
And be the battle queen of yore,
Maryland! My Maryland!
I hear the distant thunder-hum,
Maryland!
The Old Line's bugle, fife, and drum,
Maryland!
She is not dead, nor deaf, nor dumb-
Huzza! she spurns the Northern scum!
She breathes! she burns! she'll come! she'll come!
Maryland! My Maryland!
This still is the official Maryland anthem, sung to the tune of O Tannenbaum. More about this convoluted history in Antero Pietila HOME
Sorry not following your point here. what does this have to do with blacks fighting for the confederates?

Old 10-10-2009, 09:52 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
The Civil War is a very misinterpreted part of American History. Slavery wasn't an issue until later in the war. This came about in order to keep France,who was anti-slavery, to stop helping the southern states in their plight to free themselves from northern TAX control.

Slavery was an issue for the rebelling states but not for The United States; there is a disconnect in aims there that some people have a hard time understanding. The rebels were fighting to protect slavery BUT The United States was not fighting to destroy it, rather it was fighting to supress rebellion and preserve the Union.

However you seem to have some kind of modern political agenda that you're channeling back to the 1860s and I doubt you understand the politics of the Great Rebellion.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:54 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,810,192 times
My point was this: It's one thing for a black to serve in the Confederate army, willingly or not. It's quite another to serve the Union in Maryland troops, knowing that Lincoln's promise of freedom only applied to enemy states. Clear enough? As to the book, it tells the history of race relations in Maryland, including what went on during the Civil War and afterward when the Democratic Party attempted three times to disfranchise black voters.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
My point was this: It's one thing for a black to serve in the Confederate army, willingly or not. It's quite another to serve the Union in Maryland troops, knowing that Lincoln's promise of freedom only applied to enemy states. Clear enough? As to the book, it tells the history of race relations in Maryland, including what went on during the Civil War and afterward when the Democratic Party attempted three times to disfranchise black voters.
I see what your saying now thx.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:

Ironic to hear you talk about real history seeing as the evidence is you've very little contact with it. However you are familiar with neo-Con lies, rationalization and spin.

The Rebels rebelled to protect slavery, if you don't believe me you can read the secession proclamations of the rebelling states, several of which are quite forthright in proclaiming the purpose of their rebellion was to protect slavery.

Claiming the rebellion was over tax issues is a Goebbelesque smokescreen thrown by modern neo-Cons to try to justify the rebellion in terms that might be acceptable to some to whom rebellion to protect slavery cannot be justified. Though justifying rebellion over a disagreement in tax policies seems rather stupid, at least to people who believe in a political system with representative government and in the give and take inherant in such systems; can you imagine if people were justified in rebelling every time they lost out over some political isssue? Why that's a recipe for anarchy. I reckon people who think rebelling over taxes is a good idea don't believe in democratic government and don't believe in or love The United States.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1974 View Post
You don't have to wonder, they didn't. VERY few Blacks were in the Confederate army, in fact it was illegal for Blacks to be Confederate soldiers until VERY late in the war when as a last ditch act of desperation the Virginia legislature passed a law allowing the raising of Black troops. (The Confederate Congress at the same time defeated a bill to allow the raising of Black troops). As this happened while the Confederate government was toppling in confusion and flames it had no effect on the war and it seems only a couple of companies of Black troops were raised and they saw no combat.

This whole "Black Confederate" thing is a recent invention of neo-Con cranks trying to justify an inherantly racist rebellion by painting it as not being racist. It's a snow job (pun intended) meant to bamboozle people.

On the other hand there's no doubt at all that a great many Blacks, at least 130,000, served in The United States army. And fought in many battles and campaigns.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 10-10-2009 at 10:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History