Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 03:42 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
More specifically, Russia...I mean it seems we don't hear to much about Russia having an impact on world history until the cold war period...
Russia did have much effect on the world, just not United States...

Quote:
What were they up to say in 1850?
Until about 1850 Russia was arguably the most powerful nation in the world and played a key role in defeating Napoleon. It occupied on fifth of the world's land surface, from central Europe to California. In 1850s Russia fought against a coalition of other countries including UK, France, Ottoman Empire and others.

Quote:
And why were they not interested in participating in the world wide slave trade back then?
When? World wide slave trade ended in 1810 IIRC. Anyway, Russia didn't need slaves because it had millions of peasants that had almost as few rights as slaves in America.

Quote:
What drove their society and or economy back then?
Their economy was based on agriculture. Russia was a large exporter of grain. The society consisted largely of wealthy landowners, poor serfs (peasants), and the Russian Orthodox Church.

Quote:
Can the kind of government they had back then, be compared to anything we see today?
Their government was the Czar, who had unrestricted power. I don't think there are any monarchies like that left anywhere today.

Quote:
These questions are for anyone who might have knowledge in that area...
You also may want to read here:
History of Russia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Russian Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS: Damn, slowlane got here ahead of me. GJ slowlane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
MrMarbles ... thanks for the info as i knew it was related to the Slav family but i admit i just haven't studied much about Russia like i should have.

Also i know that a band of Vikings called the Rus founded Novgorod as i believe their Rus name is the basis for the word Russian or people of the Rus ... correct or not?
This I'm not sure about. It may be one theory but I don't know what the consensus is, to be honest.
I know that Rurik, the founder of a dynasty of Russian princes that ruled Russian lands for hundreds of years was a Viking (varyag)

Old 03-03-2010, 04:07 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times
Rus also means red..as in the color of the Swede's hair and beards. Here is a good article:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rus'_(people)

Old 03-03-2010, 04:28 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Russia did have much effect on the world, just not United States...

Until about 1850 Russia was arguably the most powerful nation in the world and played a key role in defeating Napoleon. It occupied on fifth of the world's land surface, from central Europe to California. In 1850s Russia fought against a coalition of other countries including UK, France, Ottoman Empire and others.

When? World wide slave trade ended in 1810 IIRC. Anyway, Russia didn't need slaves because it had millions of peasants that had almost as few rights as slaves in America.

Their economy was based on agriculture. Russia was a large exporter of grain. The society consisted largely of wealthy landowners, poor serfs (peasants), and the Russian Orthodox Church.

Their government was the Czar, who had unrestricted power. I don't think there are any monarchies like that left anywhere today.

You also may want to read here:
History of Russia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Russian Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS: Damn, slowlane got here ahead of me. GJ slowlane.
The slave trade thing has always perplexed me over the years, now I have that question answered....and another thing you said is of interest...

And that is 'The society consisted largely of wealthy landowners, poor serfs (peasants), and the Russian Orthodox Church.

Wealthy land owners, poor serfs...hmmm....

Replace wealthy land owners with corporations, and poor serfs with working class citizens...and I can see some interesting repeating dynamics here....just a thought...

Thanks for clarifying that...you and slowlane...
In highschool, Russian history just didn't come up much...except for Alexander the great...and I guess he was like a Napolean of Russia...

Add on: I did however read a bit about the whole Karl Marx revolution, and how the Czars were brutily over thrown by Lenin or Stalin (The bald headed one with redish hair)...I think Stalin viewed the Czars the way some view 'Corporations' today...he saw the system as being very top heavy...(And it's interesting how many of the modern day corporations are indeed family owned, like Wal-mart or Ford or Heinsz Ketchup, Rochafellas, Heshey ect ect...

It's interesting how indeed history does seem to repeat itself...all systems...no matter how well their initial intentions, do seem to become top heavy...

Old 03-03-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
The slave trade thing has always perplexed me over the years, now I have that question answered....and another thing you said is of interest...

And that is 'The society consisted largely of wealthy landowners, poor serfs (peasants), and the Russian Orthodox Church.

Wealthy land owners, poor serfs...hmmm....

Replace wealthy land owners with corporations, and poor serfs with working class citizens...and I can see some interesting repeating dynamics here....just a thought...

Thanks for clarifying that...you and slowlane...
In highschool, Russian history just didn't come up much...except for Alexander the great...and I guess he was like a Napolean of Russia...

Add on: I did however read a bit about the whole Karl Marx revolution, and how the Czars were brutily over thrown by Lenin or Stalin (The bald headed one with redish hair)...I think Stalin viewed the Czars the way some view 'Corporations' today...he saw the system as being very top heavy...(And it's interesting how many of the modern day corporations are indeed family owned, like Wal-mart or Ford or Heinsz Ketchup, Rochafellas, Heshey ect ect...

It's interesting how indeed history does seem to repeat itself...all systems...no matter how well their initial intentions, do seem to become top heavy...
Alexander the Great was Greek (or Macedonian to be accurate). Not Russian. Maybe you meant Alexander Nevsky?

Serfs were different from emplyees of today's corporations in that they had no freedom to move or change employer. They were bound to the land. They had very few rights. Landowners could even beat them as punishment. In Russia it was like that until 1867 when they were emancipated by the Czar.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:03 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
Rus also means red..as in the color of the Swede's hair and beards. Here is a good article:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rus'_(people)
What's interesting is about how all the numerous German tribes who migrated into western Europe starting from around the 280's A.D. lost their German tongue and became Romanized with the exception of the Frisians and Saxons who are very closely related linguistically from the western Germanic branch.

Even the Norwegian Rus lost their ancestral tongue in Russia.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:

Actually, Lenin (the bald headed guy) did not overthrow the Czar. There were two revolutions in Russia in 1917 - in February, which created a democratic Provisional Government, and another one in October, which brought Bolsheviks (headed by Lenin) to power.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:57 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Actually, Lenin (the bald headed guy) did not overthrow the Czar. There were two revolutions in Russia in 1917 - in February, which created a democratic Provisional Government, and another one in October, which brought Bolsheviks (headed by Lenin) to power.
Mr Marbles

I had an interesting thread going a while back about Admiral Kolchak and the Russian Revolution.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/histo...hs-fought.html

Old 03-03-2010, 07:25 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
Yes, Goth is me...but don't forget the Iceni branch
A direct descendant of Boudica on the Iceni side?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:17 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times

Look how large the old Soviet Union use to be...I mean they like owned or controlled the bulk of the realistate on the planet...you could fit like 5 United States inside of The Soviet Union back then...

If indeed this is the Soviet Union Hitler tried to take on, what the heck was he thinking?

Another thing that amazes me is that all of this was started by disgruntal college students....from what I read, Lenin (the bald one) was in or dropped out of college, when he started this whole Bolsheviks movement...it would be like Tim Tebow, from the Florida state Gators, rising to power, and expanding The United states to Canada and all of South America....

Russia just kinda reminds me of the late Rodney Dangerfield, for as big and massive as they were, and what they did during the space era, satelite in space and all (poor dog, may you rest in peace), they just don't seem to get any respect...or like Dangerfield said 'No respect I tell ya, no respect'....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History