Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2011, 09:14 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
I like to believe I'm quite polite however my Troops feel otherwise. Smoking in your enclosed vehicle doesn't make you a horrible Parent,Selfish but not completely horrid. Feeling it's just smoke and my children made it to 30+ with two smoking parents could make you appear awful a parent.

Tell me, how would you respond to this statement:

People caught speeding with children in their car should be locked up at worst or, at best, have their kids taken away from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

I can tell you that some of your research is flawed rather badly.
Boy, that's an understatement.

If you search out the "research" protocols for a good many of those often quoted "studies," you'll find that they're far from scientific. Worse, they're quoted in subsequent "research" as proof.

For instance: I can't remember right off hand if it was the CDC or EPA which published a landmark and oft-quoted "study" on second-hand smoke back in the 90's, but here's how they arrived at their conclusion that it's so dangerous.

They randomly picked something like 4000 senior citizens over 70 years old and polled them by telephone. First, they asked them what health problems they were having at the moment. Not surprisingly for that age group, they had plenty.

Then, they asked them to ESTIMATE how many cigarettes, pipes and cigars they'd been exposed to during their lifetime! Say what? Who on earth could possibly do that with any accuracy? The "test" subjects, naturally, pulled a number out of thin air.

Lastly, they ranked the various health issues according to the test subject's "exposure" to second hand smoke and drew their famous conclusions that it leads to all kinds of things.

I'm not suggesting that all research on this subject is so flawed, or even that smoking is totally benign, but similar things are what passes for "science" on this particular subject.

The point is, dig further before accepting such "data" as proof of anything. Never, ever, EVER accept what you're handed at face value because there are ALWAYS hidden agendas at work behind the scenes.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:42 AM

Jimmy Martin - I CANT QUIT CIGARETTES - YouTube

Old 11-27-2011, 08:15 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Tell me, how would you respond to this statement:

People caught speeding with children in their car should be locked up at worst or, at best, have their kids taken away from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I would respond "Sounds like time for a child-endangerment charge".

Old 11-27-2011, 12:49 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I thought this threat was about smoking?
or are you prepping a secondary smoke argument?
in terms of child rearing I'd be happy if kids weren't being beaten, neglected, raped or driven around by drunks and druggies. If you start in on speeding how about ATV's? Bicycle's? That's a slippery slope

Old 11-27-2011, 01:23 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I thought this threat was about smoking?
or are you prepping a secondary smoke argument?
in terms of child rearing I'd be happy if kids weren't being beaten, neglected, raped or driven around by drunks and druggies. If you start in on speeding how about ATV's? Bicycle's? That's a slippery slope
The slippery slope is people who want to penalize parents who smoke around their children.

If you are going to go there.....then you are going to open up all behaviors parents may do that could negatively effect their children......like speeding, drinking alcohol, drinking any beverage while driving, eating while driving, watching violent programming when children are within earshot, providing unhealthy food choices, allowing children to engage in potentially dangerous activities....and on and on and on.

So, antis.....do you really want to go there?

BTW.....no more campfires....no more backyard fire pits...the smoke is dangerous to your child's health.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:15 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
The slippery slope is people who want to penalize parents who smoke around their children.

If you are going to go there.....then you are going to open up all behaviors parents may do that could negatively effect their children......like speeding, drinking alcohol, drinking any beverage while driving, eating while driving, watching violent programming when children are within earshot, providing unhealthy food choices, allowing children to engage in potentially dangerous activities....and on and on and on.

So, antis.....do you really want to go there?

BTW.....no more campfires....no more backyard fire pits...the smoke is dangerous to your child's health.
You have a valid point. Being said let's start cleaning up our act with the smoking in the faces of children (home,car,local eatery,and all public places). You can't justify smoking throughout enclosed quarters with children wiht pointing the finger at other health inducing issues. Why compound the many risk factors with another

Old 11-28-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
You have a valid point. Being said let's start cleaning up our act with the smoking in the faces of children (home,car,local eatery,and all public places). You can't justify smoking throughout enclosed quarters with children wiht pointing the finger at other health inducing issues. Why compound the many risk factors with another

So...smoking around children is a valid issue, but other things may not be?

You tell me, what's the stopping point? Where's the end game? What risks to children WILL you tolerate in the name of health and safety?

Old 11-28-2011, 11:10 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
So, if you have children....just where can you smoke?

Perhaps parents should climb up onto the roof to smoke?
Oh wait....you have to crawl up there naked or with your "designated smoking outfit" on {including a shower cap for your hair}......gotta watch that THIRD hand smoke ya know. Hope the neighbors don't catch you stripping down to change out of your smoking outfit by the backdoor.

As pointed out earlier, the stats are highly suspect and skewed regarding any harm done to children by growing up in homes where the parents smoked.

Millions of children {including myself} have grown up in homes where the parents smoked in the home and the car with no ill effect.

Are we supposed to twist our lives into pretzels every time another new study comes out proclaiming this, that and the other thing? {Did ya know SHS causes cavities! }

I am not going to stop smoking in my own home just because a child is present......anymore than the people at the local campground are going to put out all of their campfires because a child is present.

Tell me......is OK for parents to smoke while sitting around the campfire with their kids roasting hot dogs and marshmallows? LOL

And BTW, I don't sit around pointing out things I see parents doing that I think could be harmful..... that would be the "nanny" types, I mind my own business.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:57 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
So, if you have children....just where can you smoke?

Perhaps parents should climb up onto the roof to smoke?
Oh wait....you have to crawl up there naked or with your "designated smoking outfit" on {including a shower cap for your hair}......gotta watch that THIRD hand smoke ya know. Hope the neighbors don't catch you stripping down to change out of your smoking outfit by the backdoor.

As pointed out earlier, the stats are highly suspect and skewed regarding any harm done to children by growing up in homes where the parents smoked.

Millions of children {including myself} have grown up in homes where the parents smoked in the home and the car with no ill effect.

Are we supposed to twist our lives into pretzels every time another new study comes out proclaiming this, that and the other thing? {Did ya know SHS causes cavities! }

I am not going to stop smoking in my own home just because a child is present......anymore than the people at the local campground are going to put out all of their campfires because a child is present.

Tell me......is OK for parents to smoke while sitting around the campfire with their kids roasting hot dogs and marshmallows? LOL

And BTW, I don't sit around pointing out things I see parents doing that I think could be harmful..... that would be the "nanny" types, I mind my own business.
Smoking atop of your roof would be great,middle of an ocean,dig a six foot ditch3x3 so you may enjoy every bit of your smoke. Just not in the FACE of your children. Could Smoking be that important\pleasurable that you must include your family indirectly with your festivity.Tisk..tisk..mom!

You may have escaped the harmful affects of second hand smoke. Doesn't mean other will be quite as fortunate. But why wait around to see, how about smoke when children are not in your presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation