Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2017, 04:50 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times

Advertisements

So, FYI, the Martha Stewart poncho pattern is online for free, so I’m making myself one. I live in the south, so hardly ever need a coat. A knit poncho would probably get some use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 04:54 PM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
On the problem of making small stitches and the passage of time - I was remarking to DH the other day that I doubted I would ever finish that last pillow cover as trying made me too "squinty." He went down into the basement to his workshop and brought me up one of these to wear:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KPW34M...a-276682250638

I haven't tried it yet but am hopeful that it will work well.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:58 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
On the problem of making small stitches and the passage of time - I was remarking to DH the other day that I doubted I would ever finish that last pillow cover as trying made me too "squinty." He went down into the basement to his workshop and brought me up one of these to wear:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KPW34M...a-276682250638

I haven't tried it yet but am hopeful that it will work well.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:11 PM

388 posts, read 307,792 times
Thanks in large part to this thread I've gone on a bit of a knitting bender, and have made 3 trips to Jo-Ann's in the last week for new supplies! I made a hat for myself and am now working on two more- Christmas presents for my brother and sister- and today I picked up some Christmasy yarn for a stocking for the new baby. I learned how to do cables and knit in the round. This stuff is addictive!

Old 11-25-2017, 09:05 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
I just picked up a skein of yarn to make a hat for a customer of our historic mill. The yarn is from the mill's sheep, and dyed with indigo from our dye garden. The guy wants us to make a hat for his girlfriend, so I volunteered.

Now to go spelunking in my patterns & see what will showcase the yarn.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I just picked up a skein of yarn to make a hat for a customer of our historic mill. The yarn is from the mill's sheep, and dyed with indigo from our dye garden. The guy wants us to make a hat for his girlfriend, so I volunteered.

Now to go spelunking in my patterns & see what will showcase the yarn.
I’m very surprised at how many free patterns are available online these days, so maybe you could find a new one.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m very surprised at how many free patterns are available online these days, so maybe you could find a new one.
You're right - there are tons of free patterns out there! But I get most of my patterns for free on Ravelry. There's a group for free & discounted patterns, and designers frequently offer a pattern for free for a limited time - celebrating holidays, birthdays, special occasions, or just to drum up business. So I have a gazillion patterns that I can search on Rav and see what's suitable. The pattern search is so helpful - you can set criteria as you like, and you can do it within your library of patterns.

Off to search ...

Here's the one I decided on just now - Zoe. I got it for free, but it's $4.00 now.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:33 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,681,350 times
subscribing

Old 11-26-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
You're right - there are tons of free patterns out there! But I get most of my patterns for free on Ravelry. There's a group for free & discounted patterns, and designers frequently offer a pattern for free for a limited time - celebrating holidays, birthdays, special occasions, or just to drum up business. So I have a gazillion patterns that I can search on Rav and see what's suitable. The pattern search is so helpful - you can set criteria as you like, and you can do it within your library of patterns.

Off to search ...

Here's the one I decided on just now - Zoe. I got it for free, but it's $4.00 now.
Very cute, and just enough variety that it’s not boring.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Very cute, and just enough variety that it’s not boring.
Exactly what I'm going for! This guy wants to give it to his girlfriend for Christmas, so it needs to be a quick, painless knit. A plain stockinette hat would be fast & easy, but doesn't showcase the yarn at. all. I'll post pics as I get it going. Tonight is for decorating the tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation