Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:24 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,864,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I'm 6 hours away and I'm giddy!! It will do wonders for youth hockey development in the northwest corner of this state, which is actually doing very nicely already. Now if we could only get a minor league team back here in Little Rock...
Yeah, it's unfortunate that Little Rock lost the Riverblades. I went to many a game in the ol' Alltel Arena. They had a small but loyal following. People who were originally from elsewhere got their hockey fix through them, judging by all the Red Wings and Blackhawks jerseys people had on.

Strangely enough, KC is getting a minor league team. Not sure how that will affect the NHL in it's decision to come here. They're building the arena as we speak in the suburb of Independence. It's the same group that operates the Mississipi River Kings, I think.

Kansas City has two baseball teams that survive well enough together. The T-Bones minor league team caters to an entirely different crowd than the Royals, who generally have the more die-hard, big-league baseball fans... at least what's left of them in KC.
They can both be playing on the same night, and both will have big crowds.

I'm concerned that hockey would be different. Kansas City isn't a natural hockey town, so both teams would have something of a novelty feel to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 12:44 PM

38 posts, read 195,843 times
For God´s sake the Islanders belong to Long Island and its people. Mr. Wang please sell the team to someone that cares, I beg of you.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:04 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,763,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Yeah, it's unfortunate that Little Rock lost the Riverblades. I went to many a game in the ol' Alltel Arena. They had a small but loyal following. People who were originally from elsewhere got their hockey fix through them, judging by all the Red Wings and Blackhawks jerseys people had on.

Strangely enough, KC is getting a minor league team. Not sure how that will affect the NHL in it's decision to come here. They're building the arena as we speak in the suburb of Independence. It's the same group that operates the Mississipi River Kings, I think.

Kansas City has two baseball teams that survive well enough together. The T-Bones minor league team caters to an entirely different crowd than the Royals, who generally have the more die-hard, big-league baseball fans... at least what's left of them in KC.
They can both be playing on the same night, and both will have big crowds.

I'm concerned that hockey would be different. Kansas City isn't a natural hockey town, so both teams would have something of a novelty feel to them.
I would definitely agree with you on that one! What league is this minor team going to play in? I'd presume CHL if it's RiverKings ownership.

As for the Riverblades...doomed by a couple of factors:

playing concurrently with the Glaciercats - most cats fans were "homegrown" and appreciated the more rugged nature (aka fighting) of the WPHL (now CHL). 'Blades fan were more true hockey fans and just as you point out most would have been tranplants, probably here with the AF. When the Cats left many of those fans wouldn't support the Blades. Petty, a bit childish, but unfortunately true.

Alltel Management - Word from inside some of the former Blades front office was that Alltel workers and management couldn't stand the overhead needed for hockey. But yet they still put up and disassemble boards for the Twisters and the ice plant is still there...hmmmm. Sport prejudice anyone??

Old 03-05-2009, 01:44 PM

38 posts, read 195,843 times
Bill Guerin has just been traded from the Islanders to the Penguins, the wheels are coming off... K.C. here we come.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:28 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,864,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I would definitely agree with you on that one! What league is this minor team going to play in? I'd presume CHL if it's RiverKings ownership.

As for the Riverblades...doomed by a couple of factors:

playing concurrently with the Glaciercats - most cats fans were "homegrown" and appreciated the more rugged nature (aka fighting) of the WPHL (now CHL). 'Blades fan were more true hockey fans and just as you point out most would have been tranplants, probably here with the AF. When the Cats left many of those fans wouldn't support the Blades. Petty, a bit childish, but unfortunately true.

Alltel Management - Word from inside some of the former Blades front office was that Alltel workers and management couldn't stand the overhead needed for hockey. But yet they still put up and disassemble boards for the Twisters and the ice plant is still there...hmmmm. Sport prejudice anyone??
Yes, the CHL. I think the CHL owns and operates all of it's teams.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:46 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,735,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
bill guerin has just been traded from the islanders to the penguins, the wheels are coming off... K.c. Here we come.
lmao :d:d

Old 03-06-2009, 09:03 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Flatlanders

Contrary to popular belief, neither Kansas or Missouri is flat. In fact, they are both very hilly.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:45 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,796 times
A friend of mine told me today that a couple of years ago that KC had the highest TV ratings of any market that didnt have an NHL team. I thought that was an interesting tidbit that shows that their is indeed interest for hockey in KC.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:53 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,354,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Contrary to popular belief, neither Kansas or Missouri is flat. In fact, they are both very hilly.
Sorry, it's all relative. The "hills" behind my house rise to 4,000 feet from sea level. They're called hills because the Sierras furthers east reach over 14,000 feet. That's my perspective.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:24 PM

180 posts, read 597,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I think KC is a more viable market than Atlanta, Nashville or Florida. I'd like to see another Canadian team but a big city in Canada is only 500,000 people. Hardly big enough to attract the corporate support that the team (and league) desires. KC would be a good fit wit STL, DAL, CHI, MIN. Just like the old Norris division sans DET.

Clueless. Hockey is doing fine in Nashville and Atlanta last I checked. What would be your qualifying measures to back up this claim about Kansas City?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey