Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 04:06 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,061,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBNA View Post
Clueless. Hockey is doing fine in Nashville and Atlanta last I checked. What would be your qualifying measures to back up this claim about Kansas City?
Don't know if anyone should be calling others clueless...

Atlanta's woes: Hockey in Atlanta on thin ice | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/thrashers/stories/2009/02/15/hockey_atlanta_thrashers.html - broken link)
Quote:
A Feb. 3 story in the Toronto Sun listed the Thrashers among six NHL teams most vulnerable to either being moved or being shuttered. “This could be a blueprint of how not to operate an expansion franchise,” the newspaper warned, referring to the Thrashers.
Nashville's positive: NHL Commissioner: Predators will 'break even' financially on Nashville City Paper
Quote:
“(Freeman) indicated that the franchise is going to break even this year,” Bettman said. “In this environment, and with all the work they’ve done I think that’s a very telling statistic, in terms of people not having to worry about the franchise.”

“Based on the information I got (Thursday), and based on how the attendance has been – particularly for the last nine games – they have every expectation they’re going to meet the threshold on their own, without any problem,” Bettman said.
Both: NHLPA, Bettman sending mixed messages about economic outlook
Quote:
Yet considering the troubles in Phoenix, as well as with the Nashville Predators, Atlanta Thrashers, Florida Panthers and New York Islanders, Bettman in some ways sounds a bit like the Brave Knight fighting King Arthur in Monty Python and the Holy Grail (``it's just a scratch, 'tis but a flesh wound'') refusing to acknowledge evidence of trouble all around him, even as his arms and legs are being chopped off and blood is dripping everywhere.
A Logical Look at NHL Relocation: Why Hamilton, Ontario Makes Sense | Bleacher Report
Quote:
In addition to Phoenix, the Tampa Bay Lightning, Florida Panthers, New York Islanders, Nashville Predators, and Atlanta Thrashers have all been rumoured to have mild-to-significant ownership questions and problems in recent seasons. Things in Nashville have been so bad that they have gone as far as purchasing tickets to its own games so that it meets the required attendance figures for NHL teams looking for financial assistance.
Long Island Business News » As Isles wrap up losing season, Kansas City beckons
Quote:
The early rejections have done little to deter Kansas City, where officials say there are fans, and investors, ready to fight to bring a hockey team to town. City Manager Wayne Cauthen has announced that the campaign to bring a permanent tenant to the Sprint Center will begin in earnest as soon as the current hockey season ends.
If Kansas City sports fans want the Islanders, they will have to be patient. The team’s Coliseum lease, a 30-year deal signed by former owner John O. Pickett, runs through 2015 and would be prohibitively expensive to break. The team is also an important part of the Lighthouse development’s first phase, providing both customers and cash flow while the rest of the project is built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 04:40 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Kansas City is in Missouri, not Kansas. The state was named after the town.
You mean Kansas City, Kansas has been removed from the map? (OK, back to the regularly scheduled thread...)

Old 03-07-2009, 04:55 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,147,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You mean Kansas City, Kansas has been removed from the map? (OK, back to the regularly scheduled thread...)
Hey Fred I have no idea what he meant but last I looked in the 90's when I was stationed in Missouri both Kansas and Missouri had a KC.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:38 AM

180 posts, read 597,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Don't know if anyone should be calling others clueless...
Why is that? If you exercise no knowledge about a hockey team or its market, then you are clueless when you try to talk about them.

Like I said, Nashville is fine. They aren't going anywhere for a while.

Of course, all the negative media reports you just posted are Canadian and Lord knows, they hate it when hockey franchises south of the boarder actually do well! God forbid if dirty Hamilton or little working class "Winni" doesn't have an NHL franchise. Their crying about the current NHL is almost as old and almost as annoying as Kansas City's for a new team. If you listen to Canadian media the rest of your life talk about the NHL, eventually you'll start believing that the league shoudl go back to the original 6 teams and leave it at that. Canadian "Media" reporting on what is happening hundreds of miles away from them in hockey markets they likely haven't visited is just a joke at best.

BTW, I love how some of those articles were written in an "Opinion" style as opposed to a "Reporting" style. That puts a ton of credibility in them you know.

Last edited by MichaelBNA; 03-08-2009 at 11:50 AM..

Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 PM

38 posts, read 195,836 times
Islanders must stay in Long Island. It is not the Island that is the problem, if you put a good enough hockey team on the ice the people will back them up. The team has been horrible the last four to seven years, it is time for new ownership and for hockey minded people to run the team. Millbury was awful, and Garth Snow is too much of a nice guy.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:03 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,863,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post

There are two Kansas City's. One is in Missouri, one is in Kansas. The one in Missouri is 500k in population, the one in Kansas is 150k in population. They are next door to each other, separated by the state line only. They have two separate and distinct governments. Believe it or not, when you outsiders think of Kansas City, you're thinking of the one in Missouri, where nearly everything of any consequence is located. Kansas City, Kansas is a suburb. Over half of the metro's 2.1 million residents are in Missouri.

If I'm not mistaken, waaaay back when, they were both the same town, but then the state lines were drawn, and the two got separated at that time. Kansas City, Missouri was called Town of Kansas before Kansas was even a state. I could be wrong on the first part, but KC was in existence before the state was even a territory.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:06 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,762,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
Islanders must stay in Long Island. It is not the Island that is the problem, if you put a good enough hockey team on the ice the people will back them up. The team has been horrible the last four to seven years, it is time for new ownership and for hockey minded people to run the team. Millbury was awful, and Garth Snow is too much of a nice guy.
I'll go out on a limb here, I seriously don't think the Isle's will go to KC. KC will get either the 'Yotes or the Thrashers. I just don't see the NHL letting that franchise move. They'll use poor old KC again to get a nice new arena though just like with the Pens but the Isle's will stay put.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:42 PM

Islanders lose in O.T. to Toronto last night. Will we ever see another decent team on the ice on Long Island?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:51 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,735,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
Islanders lose in O.T. to Toronto last night. Will we ever see another decent team on the ice on Long Island?
Nope lol

Old 03-12-2009, 12:23 PM

Nope lolJazzy,

That is cruel and unusual punishment. LOL I hope for my sake the Isles stay on the Island, hope they bring back the seaman jersey, that was cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey