Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:37 PM

259 posts, read 823,264 times

Advertisements

Probably will be slow progress as I have a lot of other projects going on and will be as money and time allow as my 22 year old self is not rich, lol. This was my grandpas house and where my dad grew up. When my grandpa bought this house the whole house was full of grain. You couldn't even open a door, it went through a upstairs window. When he died I put his money back into the house and had the outside resided, all new Anderson windows and a new roof. Rented it out for few years after that and finally the renter moved out, well was behind on rent and left the place trashed. Pics are how he left it and not much was updated inside from when my grandpa had it. First Ill be putting new carpeting down and hopefully removing the paneling and dry-walling. Also redoing the bath is high on the list. These pics were taken about a week ago.

The right hand side of the house in the next pic where it slopes down and you see the two offset windows is where there use to be a one car garage.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 06:38 PM

Progress as of yesterday...

Been working on it after work when I can. Been working on the living room and what my grandparents used as a bedroom though it doesn't have a closet. May try to put one in under the stairs that go upstairs as the wall is right behind the bedroom.

Living room

Bedroom before this morning

Bedroom now

Both ceilings had a cardboard like tile that was glued to the old drywall which came down pretty easy and made it a lot easier to pull the drywall down.

The upstairs floor which looks like 1x3 or such, though it was pretty cool.

The old paneling

It was easier to just use the wrecking bar and pull the old drywall ceiling down. Ill take the nails out of the floor joist later as it will be much easier now. But I've been taking out all the nails out of the drywall on the walls with a "crows foot" or some name like that tool as it goes pretty fast and I can just take the walls down in sheets.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:40 PM

Tonight's progress....

All the drywall is down. The walls came down in sheets as I took out all the nails which made it easy. Just took them down and cut them into 3 pieces so it was easier to carry. The wall between the living room and bedroom had paneling on both sides with wall paper over the paneling so I wasn't able to remove the nails. So I just busted the wall out. That's whats all over the floor.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:16 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
You sure are going to town on that one. What a cute house. I bet it's going to be showplace when your done. Don't wear yourself out in the first week. It's going to be a long time to finish. Keep us posted.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:20 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,921,317 times
Looks like you've got your hands full . . . good for you for taking it on.

p.s. never seen a blue toilet or blue sink before . . . or wallpaper like that. Although I should mention we did have pinkish/brownish toilet in our house growing up.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:16 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Dang, you're fast.

Are you putting down wood floors?

Old 07-26-2010, 11:02 PM

407 posts, read 1,559,028 times
I had the same thought as Sanrene - what about putting down hardwood floors, at least in the main floor? They'll last longer than the carpet and won't date the structure - plus you can use rugs to give definition and character to the rooms. Due to extreme water damage in an old house of mine, I took it as an omen to get rid of as much carpet as possible and installing hardwood floors made a world of difference in the look of the place.

I have to say, I wish I were as handy as you are! Unfortunately, I just come up with the ideas and end up having a contractor implement the majority of them. I'm enjoying the pictures, so keep us posted! You've done a ton so far!

Old 07-27-2010, 12:40 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,936 times
Whole lotta work... tell me you left the bathroom tile intact

Old 07-29-2010, 11:40 AM

238 posts, read 617,351 times
great progress! i'm envious. good luck!

Old 07-30-2010, 06:41 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,185,127 times
Love your house and it seems you are unleashing it's potential. I wish I had the skills to do work like you are. We recently bought a home built in the 1960's and it needs all the updating possible. Having a hard time coming up with ideas - getting no where fast.

In fact, if my light fixture isn't exactly the same as yours, it's a close cousin

Best of luck on your reno - keep posting updates!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating